The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kenobi - A Star Wars Story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof, I'm not anywhere near experienced enough using the D6 system to comment on how accurate the RAW's statting of ANH Luke would be. In truth that sort of number-crunching bores me, whether we're talking about Star Wars D6, the Old World of Darkness Storytelling system or (especially) the stats used in World of Warcraft (a particularly favorite pastime of mine). The intricacies of all the mathmatics involved in all those rules are beyond me. It's not that I can't do math, it's that math bores me so I don't do it unless I have to. I noticed that thread you linked to, Whill. I never commented there because I never felt competent enough in the D6 rules to give a meaningful opinion one way or the other.

Though I suppose I should make an effort to get up to speed....
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb, Dredwulf, and Sutehp, I just noticed that none of you posted in Nexx's recent thread discussing whether Luke was "a starting character at the beginning of A New Hope" or not. Nexx only asked and never really even answered his own question.

I do that a lot... I throw out a question for discussion that I don't have a clear answer on. IMO, Luke should be viewed as a baseline starting character, simply because the biography we have for him makes it clear that he DOESN'T have a ton of experience. Would one adventure when he was young significantly change that? Not really. But it seems like something that would've come up.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I do that a lot... I throw out a question for discussion that I don't have a clear answer on.

Which is exactly why this forum exists: to ask people for clarifications on stuff related to the Star Wars franchise in general and to SWD6 in particular. Nexx, no one can fault you for doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing on this forum, which is also exactly what the rest of us are supposed to be doing and (ideally) are doing also. Welcome to the club. 8)

MrNexx wrote:
IMO, Luke should be viewed as a baseline starting character, simply because the biography we have for him makes it clear that he DOESN'T have a ton of experience. Would one adventure when he was young significantly change that? Not really. But it seems like something that would've come up.

I saw something on TvTropes that reminds me of this: namely the Can't Catch Up trope on TVT's page on Star Wars D6 found here.

Quote:
Can't Catch Up: The later depictions of canon characters included hundreds of skill points. The average PC started with seven. Adventures tended to be less "blow up the Death Star" and more "blow up the Star Destroyer."

Could it be that Can't Catch Up was being deliberately invoked by WEG when they first wrote up ANH Luke Skywalker's overpowered stats even though it's not even remotely "realistic?"?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm

Unfortunately, it seems that Solo's respectable but below par performance at the box office may lead to a cancellation of the anthology films. No big loss on Boba Fett, but we really needed an inter-trilogy movie where Obi-Wan is the primary protagonist, starring Ewan McGregor! I'm bummed.

After despising The Last Jedi, a bunch of whiny internet haters began a 'Boycott All Disney Star Wars' movement, and they claim to be responsible for Solo's box office. In today's social media world, that probably was a factor, but we really don't have any way of knowing how big of a factor it was. I think a significant factor in Solo's mediocre success is too frequent movie releases. We don't need a new Star Wars every year. They need to let hype and fan thirst build up, not run the franchise into the ground.

According to the story, Lucasfilm is putting all its focus on Episode IX and the new series (plural) in development which will have nothing to do with the Skywalker Saga. I've never seen Game of Thrones, but I can tell you after seeing TLJ I am less excited for Episode IX and not at all excited about Rian Johnson's trilogy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might cry. The Force Awakens was a wasted opportunity, and The Last Jedi was an abomination. At this point, I don't even care if they make Ep. IX (unless it opens with Luke waking up, rolling over, and saying to Mara, "I just had the worst dream"). The only thing that has kept me interested in the new franchise are the anthology films (yes, even Solo), and I was especially looking forward to the Obi-Wan movie. Seeing Ewan McGregor reprise the role would have been great. I really hope they still make that movie.

Whill wrote:
I can tell you after seeing TLJ I am . . . not at all excited about Rian Johnson's trilogy.

I agree 100%.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb, Dredwulf, and Sutehp, I just noticed that none of you posted in Nexx's recent thread discussing whether Luke was "a starting character at the beginning of A New Hope" or not. Nexx only asked and never really even answered his own question. Reading your opinions of Luke in ANH here now makes me feel that other conversation was lopsided, because the general consensus of that conversation was that there is no way Luke was a mere starting PC level character with 18D in attributes and only about 7D in skills.

RAW statted Luke out way better than a starting PC with a tons of skill dice and pips all over the place. I don't entirely agree with that. Now I didn't bother statting out all his skills but I did give Luke 19D in normal attribute dice (so not even counting the Force). My attribute for Luke in ANH are below.

DEX 3D+1
KNO 2D+1
MEC 4D+1
PER 3D
STR 3D
TEC 3D

As far as his inadequacies mentioned here, no I would not give Luke a single pip in streetwise. He may have had dealings with shady Jawas but I would agree he is completely out of his element in the wretched hive of scum and villainy that was the cantina. I also wouldn't give Luke much in the way of interaction skills. I would still have to say that overall Luke would still have more than 7D in skills, even if not to the levels that RAW gives him.

In game terms, that means he would have had some adventurous experiences in his life that he gained experience from. Would you guys really stat Luke out with less than 18D in attributes and hardly any skills? So was Luke just a walking stack of CPs and FPs to do everything he did because he had no skill? Since we didn't get it in the other conversation, I'd like to hear from the other side that has such low opinions of Luke as a character in ANH.

Hmm.

My comments were directed to the story. Game systems and stories, as we all know don't mesh or synch up perfectly.

In this thread, my point was that Luke had never been involved in anything that he considered *EXCITING* not that he hadn't developed any skills.

A theoretical character could train and train and train his whole life to be a kick-@$$ commando-assassin, and yet never have a chance to put any of those skills to use.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
I might cry... The only thing that has kept me interested in the new franchise are the anthology films (yes, even Solo), and I was especially looking forward to the Obi-Wan movie. Seeing Ewan McGregor reprise the role would have been great. I really hope they still make that movie.

Good news from ABC News!

Quote:
Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as "inaccurate" a report that future "Star Wars" movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

ABC News is also owned by Disney.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news indeed! I was going to say, the decision to pull all anthology movies because of one underwhelming showing just doesn't make sense. According to the numbers I've seen, Rogue One's gross (adjusted for inflation) was not all that far behind The Last Jedi's--$553 million versus $619 million.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
we really needed an inter-trilogy movie where Obi-Wan is the primary protagonist, starring Ewan McGregor! I'm bummed.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m curious why you believe this. Because of the episodic structure of the saga, Ep.III ends exactly where Ep.IV begins (not timeline-wise but functionally—Ben Kenobi and Luke on Tatooine, R2 and 3PO on the Tantive, the Death Star being constructed…). Not sure how to squeeze a movie about Ben Kenobi into the interim. A love-letter to the Prequels—Ben leaves Tatooine for a mission, and revisits some of the characters and planets from the PT? A love-letter to Tatooine—bring back all our favorite familiar cantina aliens?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
we really needed an inter-trilogy movie where Obi-Wan is the primary protagonist, starring Ewan McGregor! I'm bummed.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m curious why you believe this. Because of the episodic structure of the saga, Ep.III ends exactly where Ep.IV begins (not timeline-wise but functionally—Ben Kenobi and Luke on Tatooine, R2 and 3PO on the Tantive, the Death Star being constructed…). Not sure how to squeeze a movie about Ben Kenobi into the interim. A love-letter to the Prequels—Ben leaves Tatooine for a mission, and revisits some of the characters and planets from the PT? A love-letter to Tatooine—bring back all our favorite familiar cantina aliens?

I'll try to answer, but your premise is equally curious to me. Chewie and the Falcon made an appearances in Episode III, Han first appeared in ANH and Lando first appeared in TESB. We didn't really need a standalone movie with these four things, but we got one and I enjoyed it.

No, I don't want a "love letter" to the prequels but sure there could be some elements from the prequels in an Obi-Wan movie. I hadn't even thought of that. Watto and Kitster, maybe? Sure, why not put some cantina aliens in there too. (We already got cameos of Panda Baba and Dr. Evazan in Rogue One.) But I don't think you can build a movie around any of those things.

I want an Obi-Wan movie because he is such an instrumental character to the saga and but he has only ever been a supporting character. Ewan McGregor was the top billed actor of AotC and RotS. He is an good actor and he nailed Obi-Wan. When watching RotS I believed he could grow old into Alec Guinness. But Anakin was the central character of those films and the story was based on the poorly performed love story and crossing over to the dark side. Even with the tragedy of Padma's death and Anakin becoming a villain the character focus stayed there and Obi-Wan still wasn't the main protagonist. We need that. Obi-Wan was important in ANH but still only the mentor for Luke. The character of Obi-Wan has almost no character development in the two trilogies.

I want something new that has never been done before, a story that makes Obi-Wan into the primary protagonist. The prequel and classic trilogies have the Skywalkers as the main characters. Make a story centered on Obi-Wan, where he changes and grows from the beginning to the end. I have faith that good writers can make a story like this but still make it believable that years ago he was as Episode III ends and years from now he will be as Episode IV begins. You don't think that is possible? I have to believe it is, and so does Lucasfilm since this movie really is in development. Maybe the script won't ever work out and it will be cancelled, but I am hopeful that it will work.

The character of Obi-Wan deserves to his own movie where he is finally a proper main protagonist, and the actor deserves to have a shot at bringing it to life. I feel he is owed it for 'carrying' the prequels as much as he had to. Obi-Wan's theme is the Force theme! We need an Obi-Wan movie! It can make all his supporting roles in other films more meaningful.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of a Kenobi film is not an enjoyable one for me. Don't get me wrong, McGregor was the one shining positive for the Prequels. I was under the assumption that Kenobi never left Tatooine, once he had dedicated himself to watching over Luke.

Then there's the optics of a middle-aged man making a habit of following a kid all over Tatooine? It sounds creepy to me. Why would I want to see a film that wouldn't provide any sort of insight to a character we've already come to know in the Prequels?

Then there's the point that Kenobi needs to be the main protagonist. I was under the assumption that though the Prequels were primarily about the fall of Anakin Skywalker, I ALWAYS considered the Prequels mainly about Kenobi and his galactic failure at training the Chosen One. As for a suitable villain for Kenobi, he already had two: Maul and Vader. He (finally) defeated Maul in Rebels, and was defeated in turn by Vader in Episode IV. Seems to me that there isn't anything more Kenobi can do.....except stalk the future of the galaxy (couldn't resist myself on that one Very Happy).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do tend to agree that a Kenobi movie would be best with a cameo from Luke Skywalker, and little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: