The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New TIE from SOLO Movie (TIE Gunship? TIE Bomber Prototype?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New TIE from SOLO Movie (TIE Gunship? TIE Bomber Prototype?) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Looking into this... was the designation for the TIE Bomber always TIE/sa?

I mean, the naming system, per wookiepedia, gives us two different TIEs using in, but one is In and the other is IN, one of which means "interceptor" and the other means "space superiority fighter".

That was always a bit confusing, as the basic TIE Fighter is known as the TIE/ln - with a lower case "L" for "Line" - and the Interceptor as the TIE/In - with an upper case "i"

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
there is a few discrepencies, especially with the new first order TIES

TIE/sf is to me the space superiority designator, ( not how it is actually used)
But it seems to ne the regular line TIE for the first order

The First Order TIEs are /fo (First Order) and /sf (Special Forces), which make no real sense, but I'm past being surprised by that when it comes to the new trilogy.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are avoiding Solo spoilers, I just posted updated stats for the TIE/rb here, on the Solo - SPOILERS ALLOWED page. That being said, the stats don't give away anything away beyond a few inconsequential details, so if you're interested, check it out.

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Looking into this... was the designation for the TIE Bomber always TIE/sa?

I mean, the naming system, per wookiepedia, gives us two different TIEs using in, but one is In and the other is IN, one of which means "interceptor" and the other means "space superiority fighter".

The confusion lies in the capitalization or not of the letters used.

The original designation of the TIE fighters as seen in Star Wars was the TIE/ln (that is a small L followed by an N).

When the TIE Interceptor came out, they had to have a different identifier, so they went with a Capital I and Capital N, as in TIE/IN.

This caused confusion, with some people thinking the /ln was the same as the /IN. So then they started denoting the line fighter as /LN (all caps to avoid confusion).

The TIE Bomber, when it first came out, had no designation that was official. It was just a TIE Bomber. I'm guessing when they started throwing letters on various other TIE variants, as they came out at a ridiculous rate in the EU and video games, they decided to give the /sa designation.

Fun fact, the original TIE was actually a T.I.E. fighter, with no designation. This was an early run, and not widely dispersed. The found some problems with it, and updated it, renaming it as simply TIE. However they found that, when spoken, it would be confusing to denote which TIE they were referring to, as people would say "tie" rather than Tee, Eye, Eee for the T.I.E.. So they promptly came out with the TIE/ln series, along with several others like TIE/gt, TIE/rc, and TIE/fc.

The TIE Bomber was different enough, as well as the TIE series scout ship, that they didn't bother with designations for them.

Only later did they come up with things like the TIE/sa for the TIE bomber and gobs more for TIE shuttles and TIE Defenders and a multitude of others. Now, if you dig for it, you could probably find designations for every TIE variant there is.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIE Silencer, which is the TIE /vn. Because it used to be the TIE Vendetta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: