The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My House Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. And it works fine. I feel like you may have read through my post too fast, though.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sun

Black Sun is the largest criminal organization inside the Republic. Their influence is great in the core and the colonies, but lessens the farther rimward you travel.

The Black Sun is essentially the space mafia. There are Dons, and bosses and underbosses and made men and anything else you've ever seen in a gangster movie or TV show.

Black Sun makes a great enemy in any time period. The upper level members of Black Sun beat the Jedi in the courtrooms, not on the streets. If you're playing in classic you may owe them a loan on your star ship, or be buying blasters from them for the rebellion, or some such.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Starting force skill dice should come out of the 7 skill dice, not the 18 attribute dice. If that were RAW, then I'd be totally on board with everything else, RAW (except maybe lightsaber damage).

I use a Force attribute. The Force attribute only has two normal skills, Sense and Control, but they both default to The Force attribute. Alter is an advanced skill with perquisites in Control and Sense. In char gen up to 2D in skill dice can be allocated to each Force skill as per RAW. So in my game a PC could start with all three Force skills and still have 17D in normal attributes. In my game humans and some other species start with extra starting skill dice (Force and non-Force characters alike). I don't mind starting PCs being a little better off at first because advancement tends to be a little slower in my game.

Something I thought of for the Force Attribute was to allow the character to pick one Sense Power for every 1D of Force Attribute Dice. These powers would be considered the character's natural talent, and would be at -5 Difficulty to make it more reasonable for an untrained character to use them by "just having a feeling." Then, once the character gains skill dice in Control Sense and Alter, they get to pick powers at the regular rate of 1 per pip. This, IMO, allows characters to start off with reasonable force skill levels (i.e. enough to allow them to have a reasonable chance of success on low-level powers) while still keeping them relatively limited on power selection. For example, a character who put 3D into his Force Attribute and a further 1D of skill dice into Control, Sense and Alter at character creation would have 3 "natural talent" Sense powers, then 9 learned powers in addition to that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hutt Space and the Hutts

There are two major political organizations in known space: The Republic/Empire and Hutt Space.

Ten thousand years ago the Republic and the Hutts were at war. The resulting peace came as the Hutts began to understand that the Republic was not a threat to them. The Republic did not expand through warfare but through diplomacy and exploration. The Hutts realized they could make ridiculous amounts of money by selling guns and vice to the Repubic, and retain their individual kingdoms.

Hutt Space is not a single unified government, but a number of kingdoms each with their own set of laws, each run by a different Hutt or Hutt family. Hutt kingdoms often allow vices the Republic does not. Hutts are considered gangsters by most people in the Republic and their exploits are hyperbolically exaggerated.

While most vices are legal in most of Hutt Space, they are illegal in the Republic, which makes the importing of vices to the Republic a lucrative business. Of course, smuggling is illegal and has legal ramifications.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross, thanks for posting about Hutt Space and bumping this thread. I had forgotten all about this thread and I really enjoy your stuff. Please, keep it coming!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: The Old Republic Reply with quote

The Old Republic

The Old Republic is a fractious mess of a million odd star systems all convinced that while their system of government isn't perfect, everyone else's is far worse. Cohesion is not a word any sane person would ever use to describe the Old Republic. Yet they existed for ten thousand years (generations?) in a state of general peace. How did they accomplish this?

Jedi magic. Space wizards.

Let's take a closer look at how the Republic is set up.

The highest level of government is the Republic itself. Governed by the Galactic Senate on Coruscant the Senate contains representatives from every member world. In later years large business factions joined together and petitioned the Senate for representation. Very few laws actually get passed by the Senate, as getting a million member worlds to agree to anything is quite difficult. They did agree slavery was illegal.

The Republic maintained a minimal Space Navy. Up until the final days of the Republic most military capital ships were no bigger than a Corellian Corvette. These ships were few and far between and were mostly used to support the Jedi. Many Sector Fleets were larger than the Republic's Navy. The Republic chose to fund Sector Fleets to deal with pirates and smugglers rather than a centralized Republic Navy.

The middle level of government is the Sector Governments. The Senate has broken the Republic up into individual sectors, initially of roughly 100 star systems per sector. 100 is a nice round number. These star systems were grouped by proximity and have nothing else in common. Each Sector is run by a charter agreed upon by the member worlds. Each member world has different wants and needs, so they are all fighting each other over the laws a sector government passes. What is legal in one Sector may be illegal in the next Sector. It is very obvious why smuggling is so common in the Old Republic.

Sectors Fleets were run by the Sector Rangers. Sector Ranger was the general term used for police on the Sector level. Each Sector had different names for their police forces and each group of Rangers ran under different rules. The one rule that bound all Sector Rangers was that their jurisdiction ended at the border of their sector. Sector Rangers mostly dealt with pirates and smugglers.

The lowest level of Government, for our purposes is the Star System Government. These vary wildly from planet to planet, even if the planets are in the same star system. Trandoshans and Wookiees, for example, are from two different planets in the same star system. These planets all have different laws, they make different things legal and illegal and they levy tariffs on each other that can get extreme, based on how much the planetary governments dislike each other.

Planetary governments in the Republic have no set system. Alderaan is a hereditary monarchy. Naboo was an oligarchical elected monarchy with terms of service. Corellia was some form of democracy or republic with no nobility. That's three worlds out of a million.

Most planetary governments had a few ships to defend their planets from piracy. Almost all planets had an armed space station for ships to dock at and unload cargo. Cargo would then be shuttled from the space station to the planet.

This system of government should not work for a population of a million planets. It shouldn't work for more than one planet really. Everyone is in it for themselves. In Earth history empires are held together with armies or economic pressure. How does the Old Republic stay together, let alone be at peace for ten thousand years?

Enter the Jedi.

The Jedi use the force to see threats to the Republic before they happen. They can stop political brushfires before they become too big to handle. They can see threats of war before they happen, and prepare an appropriate response, or cut them off before they happen.

What the Jedi supplied to the Republic was peace. Peace at a discount rate. 1,000 warrior, diplomat monks who took vows of poverty. Peace was cheap.

The Republic grew when outside star systems petitioned the Republic for membership. The Republic didn't conquer, it didn't rule. It governed and offered peace. And the galaxy was happy to have it.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the Empire really formed

This is not talked about in history books. Very few people knew the truth and most of them are dead.

Palpatine was the leader of both the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The entire Clone Wars was fabricated by one Sith Lord.

How did he do it? How did he manage to start a war when the Jedi had been able to keep peace for ten thousand years? The answer is so simple it is mind boggling.

Before the start of the war, the Confederacy was not a threat to the Republic.

That's it. That is the entire secret. The Confederacy was not a threat to the Republic.

No Sith Magic, no technological marvel, no tricks whatsoever. The Confederacy didn't want to hurt the Republic, they just wanted to leave the Republic and be left alone.

The Jedi detect threats. The Confederacy was not a threat.

To start the war Palpatine needed the Republic to attack the Confederacy. That's exactly what happened at Geonosis.

The Jedi didn't see the attack from the Clones coming because up until order 66 was issued the clones bore the Jedi no ill will, they were not a threat.

Palpatine eliminated the Jedi then reunited the galaxy under his rule and the Empire was formed.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Whill! I do my best.

I've got a new game group forming and I want to get all my House rules and my understanding of how the galaxy runs in one easily accessible place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: