The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Updated "Rank" System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Updated "Rank" System Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Updated "Rank" System Reply with quote

Loc Taal wrote:
Spamming for rank - Please do not post "spam" messages in an attempt to gain rank. That was my one worry when I initially created the ranks and I don't want it to become an issue. If this does become a problem, the ranking system will be in jeopardy of being completely removed. So just post as normal and you'll get your rank when you get it, or else nobody will have ranks at all. Thanks for your cooperation.
Whill wrote:
Feel free to break up epic mega-posts into multiple posts as you deem appropriate, but please do not post multiple tiny replies just to increase your post-count.

Outside of Admins and Moderators, user rank titles really aren't important. They've always been just for fun. When the Rancor Pit Forums were created, a single user reaching a post-count of 5000 probably seemed pretty far off in the distant future. Almost 15 years later and we now have a few users with over 10000 posts. An update to the rank system seems prudent, and I thought it would be fun for the moderators and myself to have in-universe rank titles too.

The existing system seems primarily based on Republic/Imperial Navy ranks. I've considered suggestions that I've received of ranks to add to it. There isn't much room above Grand Moff, and mixing in Army or Rebel ranks in with the naval ranks just seems wonky. I want to maintain the legacy of Loc Taal's system and only expand it a bit. And although "Emperor" and "Sith Lord" or "Inquisitor" seem obvious choices for the forum staff, we didn't care for the negative connotations those give.

So in the end I just decided to reschedule the post count requirements for the existing rank titles above Commodore so that they increase by increments of 1000 instead of 500. That puts Grand Moff at 9000 posts. Click here for the updated rank title progression, and see below for the explanation of the special ranks at the bottom of it.

Custom Rank Title at 10000 posts - At this point you can opt to create your own rank title, subject to unanimous active Rancor Pit staff approval. It doesn't have to be rank related but please make it a title of some kind (not a proper name). It doesn't necessarily have to be Star Wars related but I feel it would be more fun if it was (even made-up silly Star Warsy titles). Ranks attempting to appear superior to the staff titles will not be accepted (such as "Emperor" or "The Chosen One"), but otherwise grand-sounding titles could be approved (such as "Super Moff" or "Prince of Coruscant" or "Master of Teräs Käsi"). Have fun with it! When you reach or exceed 10000 posts, please PM me your choice of rank title (or even a list of possibilities in order of preference). Regardless of rank title, you will retain the rank insignia of Grand Moff. And you can change your custom rank title every 10000 posts. :-)

Special Ranks not based on Post Count

Jedi - Besides "Site Admin" for himself, Loc Taal had created two special ranks, each for one user (the second and tenth to register for this site). In 2006 Loc Taal made Scrawprin an admin with the rank of "Jedi Master". He is no longer an admin and hasn't been around since 2009. At some point, Volar the Healer was awarded the special rank of "Jedi Knight". I couldn't find any announcement or reason, other than Loc Taal seemed to like a lot of his contributions here. And from what I've read, for good reason. As of last year Volar still comes around every now and then. I wanted to observe Loc Taal's legacy here but consolidate these rank titles into the more general "Jedi". Then I felt I should bestow this title unto Gry Sarth who handled all site user registrations for years while otherwise being inactive on the forums, all the way until I took over the process. Finally, I also gave this rank to inactive moderators vong and vanir, bringing the total to five "Jedi".

Grand Master (Founder/Admin Emeritus) - As in Yoda, the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. This special rank title is for the one and only Loc Taal, the original admin and owner of The Rancor Pit Forums until he handed the site over to me.

Arbiter-General (Moderator) - The active moderators (cheshire and jmanski) and I agreed on this Republic rank title. (Kudos to whomever knows the original source for "arbiter-general" without wookieepeding or otherwise googling it.)

Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin) - Yours truly. Given my avatar, it was unavoidable. It was my destiny. ;-)

EDIT: At 10,000 posts I changed my rank title to Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin) (and I also changed my avatar theme).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it and love it.

Volar, Scrawpin, Gry, Vong and Vanir are all worthy of the title Jedi. They were all good contributors and I respect each of them very much.

And having a special title for Loc Taal is especially fitting. Long live the creator!

I think the custom rank title is a nice little bonus for the long-tenured (or is it long-winded? Very Happy ) who have really put in a lot of time and love into this forum.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
the long-tenured (or is it long-winded? Very Happy )

The correct answer is “Yes.”

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooooo! I was looking forward to making Rear Admiral in only another 460-odd posts! Now my promotion has been delayed...!

...eh. I'll get over it.

As for the custom titles, a bunch of the warlord titles in the Legends continuity spring to mind. Superior General, High Admiral, Supreme Warlord...remember those guys with all those ostentatious titles that Daala gassed at the Tsoss Beacon Conference? Those guys could provide some inspiration for several really pretentious custom titles. Cool
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... I was demoted too... Shocked

No worries. I lurk more than I participate anyway.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
As for the custom titles, a bunch of the warlord titles in the Legends continuity spring to mind. Superior General, High Admiral, Supreme Warlord...remember those guys with all those ostentatious titles that Daala gassed at the Tsoss Beacon Conference? Those guys could provide some inspiration for several really pretentious custom titles. 8)

We always had High Admiral, between Fleet Admiral and Grand Admiral. Those other ones are good ideas for custom rank titles.

Sutehp wrote:
Noooooooo! I was looking forward to making Rear Admiral in only another 460-odd posts! Now my promotion has been delayed...!

...eh. I'll get over it.
Raven Redstar wrote:
I know... I was demoted too... Shocked

No worries. I lurk more than I participate anyway.

Sorry, guys. Most even semi-active users fell in the boat of you guys, like 460 more posts than before until the next promotion, or a demotion that takes 294 posts just to get back where you were before this change. But when you exceed 1000 posts, it is a easier to just think of a rank title as which thousand you are in instead of the 500-post increments. Rank titles based on post-count just don't mean anything other than that. I hope you are both around for many thousands of more posts, but what I really value out of Pit members is quality content more than quantity. I appreciate you and your acceptance of the change.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I was before, but I'm sure I fell in rank too. Now, I'm a lowly Line Captain.

BTW, Whill, where did the rank plaques come from? What source?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original rank tabs are found in the Imperial Sourcebook. However, some creative license was taken for some ranks that did not appear in that source.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I don't know what I was before, but I'm sure I fell in rank too. Now, I'm a lowly Line Captain.

No, you were a Line Captain before. This change only effected users with post-counts from 1500 to 8999. So your next rank will still come as it would have before, Commodore at 1000 posts.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill, where did the rank plaques come from? What source?

CRMcNeill wrote:
The original rank tabs are found in the Imperial Sourcebook. However, some creative license was taken for some ranks that did not appear in that source.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure because this rank system was created the same month this site started in June 2003. I was at most an occasional lurker back then. In all the reading of old posts I've done, I don't remember any definitive info on the rank insignia.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

No, you were a "lowly" Line Captain before. This change only effected users with post-counts from 1500 to 8999. So your next rank will still come as it would have before, Commodore at 1000 posts.

Well, you know how us power-hungry Imperials can be. Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Good lord, people have been complaining since ANH that the Imperial rank badges don't make ANY sort of sense. I forget the source but Word of God has said that the only time the rank badges make any sense is in TESB. And even then, they don't follow a natural logical progression that would match a realistic rank system, even accounting for the Imperial military's additional ranks like "Captain of the Line" and "High Admiral" and "Grand Admiral," to say nothing of "Moff" and "Grand Moff." After all, 6 blue-and-red pips, if counting all the way from Ensign (the lowest naval commissioned officer rank), would get you to Captain (O-6), not Admiral (O-10).

It's like the rank badges in the movies (with only the partial exception of TESB) were just randomly made with red, yellow and blue pips in any combination willy-nilly. Gee, go figure.

Hell, the only time I've ever seen any illustration of the Imperial ranks that made ANY sense was the rank badges here at the Rancor Pit. It's one more reason why I love this site so much.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
jmanski wrote:
I think the custom rank title is a nice little bonus for the long-tenured (or is it long-winded? Very Happy )

The correct answer is “Yes.”

The first two custom rank titles have been approved and implemented.

garhkal = Sovereign Protector
CRMcNeill = Director of Engineering

Thanks for all your time and love of the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Good lord, people have been complaining since ANH that the Imperial rank badges don't make ANY sort of sense. I forget the source but Word of God has said that the only time the rank badges make any sense is in TESB. And even then, they don't follow a natural logical progression that would match a realistic rank system, even accounting for the Imperial military's additional ranks like "Captain of the Line" and "High Admiral" and "Grand Admiral," to say nothing of "Moff" and "Grand Moff." After all, 6 blue-and-red pips, if counting all the way from Ensign (the lowest naval commissioned officer rank), would get you to Captain (O-6), not Admiral (O-10).

The ranks of the First Order, being non-traditional in that they are names of famous Imperial heroes, gave me an idea about the Empire's ranking system.

What if they are like Roman Numerals? If you didn't know Roman Numerals, then III might look like a higher rank than V, X, C, or M.

XXX might look higher than XC.

Maybe the colors are adding and subtracting to give us a grade.

Another idea I had was that the rank badge was a mix of rank and position. For example, the captain of a ship may actually hold the rank of Commander. So, if you saw three Blue over three Red, then that might be a real Captain. If you saw three Red over three Blue, then maybe that's a lower rank acting as captain of a vessel. Three Blue over two Red and one Orange might mean rank of Captain in charge of Engineering, or Gun Batteries.

Something like that.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The first two custom rank titles have been approved and implemented.

garhkal = Sovereign Protector
CRMcNeill = Director of Engineering

Wait, so garhkal is a badass high-ranking Royal Guardsman and CRMcNeill is...Krennic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: