The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where do we put droids?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Where do we put droids? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do we put droids?
Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Characters and Species
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Who cares?
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Where do we put droids? Reply with quote

There seemed to be some strong opinions about which forum category threads on droids should go, both unique droid characters and general droid model capsules/stats. So let's put it to a vote. Here are the current forum category descriptions, for now without mention of droids:

Discuss technology such as ships, vehicles, equipment and weapons. Share, discuss, develop, and request stats for them.

Characters and Species
Share, discuss, develop, and request help with PCs, templates, NPCs, creatures, species, and their stats.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be characters, species, and droids.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, since droids are tech, they should go in the vehicle/ship and tech area.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the section descriptions it seems pretty clear to me.

Droids are either player characters or NPCs. As such, they should go in Characters & Species. Technically, Droid could be considered a character's species.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that droids are characters. Discussing their tech aspects is not dissimilar from discussing Story Factors on a given species.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that droids CAN be characters. But they can also be nothing more than tech equipment; depending on the droid and its use.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I tend to agree that droids are characters. Discussing their tech aspects is not dissimilar from discussing Story Factors on a given species.

I disagree discussing tech aspects of a droid is 'similar' to story factors of aliens..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lordy, this is one of those things where it could be either/or depending on the circumstances. Could we take a third option and just give droids their own section? Or would that just be too much trouble?

FWIW, my opinion is that droids are more often characters than equipment, so if they can't get their own section, then putting them in the Character section gets my vote.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense to have their own section for droids and droid attachments. They do sort of straddle. The other option is to put droids themselves into Characters, and droid tech aka weapons, attachments, modifications into the Equipment section.

Or, give the droids some love and give them their own section, I could see how that might be a little daunting, since then Whill will have to go through and gather droid posts and place them in the new section.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else want to vote or chime in before I close this?

Creating a new forum category devoted to Droids is not a good option right now technically and I don't think that there is really so many droid threads that they would need its own forum anyway, which is why that was not not presented as an option. But editing the forum descriptions and titles is an option.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droid Player Characters and significant NPCs should go in the player section. R2-D2 & K-2SO for example.

Droids that are property should go in the tech section. The stats for an R2 unit would go here.

My two cents.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally voted for “Ships,” but, if I could change my vote, it would now be “Characters,” for what it’s worth. I have been persuaded by the posts in this thread.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
And I would drop the word "Droid" into either "Characters and Species" or "Ships, Vehicles, and Equipment"'s descriptions... otherwise, they'll get put half in one, half in the other, and you don't have a good metric for deciding which.

The vast majority of droids in my campaigns are equipment so that category makes the most sense to me, but that being said picking any one place for the info is better than no place or several places. I'm not talking about conversation drift, I'm talking about someone posting droid stats, pictures, or asking questions about droids or their stats. Drift happens in all threads.
CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
That's a tough call, since droids straddle the line between the two. In the vast majority of cases, however, a droid will be a piece of equipment, serving a specific function. Droids who are characters will be the exception, not the rule. Ultimately, which goes where will be dependent on what you are doing with the droid. For instance, a discussion of a new kind of probe droid will belong in the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment section, whereas posting the stats for a character who happens to be a droid is appropriate for the Characters & Species section.

Whereas I would put it in the Character & Species section, because even Droids viewed as equipment are characters, and defined similarly.

That's a fair point.

Discussion from November about this.

Falconer wrote:
I originally voted for “Ships,” but, if I could change my vote, it would now be “Characters,” for what it’s worth. I have been persuaded by the posts in this thread.

Noted. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Does anyone else want to vote or chime in before I close this?

Creating a new forum category devoted to Droids is not a good option right now technically and I don't think that there is really so many droid threads that they would need its own forum anyway, which is why that was not not presented as an option. But editing the forum descriptions and titles is an option.

Yeah, I was wondering about the practicality of droids getting their own section. Since the Powers That Be have decided that it's impractical, I voted, as per my conscience and for the reasons I stated in my previous post, for Characters (as opposed to Equipment).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was the one taking the poll I didn't vote (not even for "Who cares?" which was my original response in November).

Quote:
29% [ 4 ]

Characters and Species
52% [ 10 ]

Who cares?
17% [ 3 ]

These are the results so far with Falconer's stated vote change. 10 for Characters, 4 for Equipment and Tech and 3 for Who cares. I think it is notable that some felt that there should only be one place for droid-focused threads no matter where it is. With 10 votes for Characters and 3 more votes that don't care if they are there, I'm calling it.

griff wrote:
I think it should be characters, species, and droids.

I've made two changes.

First, Characters and Species has been renamed "Characters, Droids, and Species". The droids is second because I had already added Species to include creature stats with sentient aliens, and Droids are almost always sentient characters while Species includes sentient characters and creatures. The forum description has been updated accordingly.

Second, I moved "Characters, Droids, and Species" above Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech. If someone is starting at the top of the Index and moving down the list of forums to look for a place to find or post droid threads, they will come across the forum with Droids in the title before seeing the Tech forum. This will hopefully prevent the Mods and I from having to move too many out of place threads.

Thank you to those voted and those who participated in the discussion. Now would any of the 10 who voted for Characters be able to search the forum for droid threads that may need moved and PM me a list of URLs? That would be great. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: