The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How Would You Fix Ep VIII: The Last Jedi? (spoilers)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> How Would You Fix Ep VIII: The Last Jedi? (spoilers) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line before it in The Phantom Menace is "There's not enough power to get us to Coruscant...the hyperdrive is leaking". So, is Hyperspace fuel the same of Sublight fuel? I guess so.
You could argue it's leaking radiation, I suppose (though why anyone would stay on the ship, or why they related the Hyperdrive leak to the need for fuel makes it less likely in my opinion)

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't the problem in The Last Jedi that they didn't want to go into hyperspace again because they're running low on fuel and will be stranded without enough fuel to jump again if they did? If so, that would support that the fuel source powers both the Hyperdrive and Sublight engines.

It's not really a plot point that bothered me. I've always assumed there was some kind of fuel involved in space travel.
The real reach (for me) is why they didn't refuel all the ships before they attacked Starkiller Base? Experience on Hoth should tell them that you never know when you need to bug out!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Fuel is never mentioned in any of the movies before now as a super necessary resource. Repairs, yes, but they never just "run out of gas". People fly from the core to the outer rim without having to stop for gas.

They start to bring it up a little in Rebels and once in the Clone Wars series but it's still just kind of a reach.

What about in The Phantom Menace when Qui-Gon Jinn says "We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship."?

IIRC didn't they also mention about fueling the ships in ESB?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. I think they were talking about loading the escape transports, unless you were talking about another part other than Hoth.

I'll have to re-watch E: I-VI again... oh bother...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it was in the scene when han was talking to the deck hand about luke being overdue.. Something got said about "we are having trouble converting XYZ over to the cold weather and there's issues on fueling"..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Quote:
DECK OFFICER: Sir, Commander Skywalker hasn't come in through the south entrance. He might have forgotten to check in.
HAN: Not likely. Are the speeders ready?
DECK OFFICER: Not yet. We're having some trouble adapting them to the cold.
HAN: Then we'll have to go out on Tauntauns.

I'm pretty sure the word "fuel" or any other word based on that word was not spoken in TESB.

Quote:
QUI-GON: We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.

We have a winner!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, fuel has been an issue since WEG tacked Consumables onto starship stats, even though they left them off of vehicles...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point to ESB, where Luke offers R2 some power, myself. It's always been the main chink in my idea that Star Wars is a world with material limitations, but unlimited energy (continuous loop laser swords? Lasers that can blow up a planet?), while Star Trek tends to be a world with energy limits but few material limitations (i.e. replicators).
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys seen How It Should Have Ended?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB8DUGpYQQ

Taking from that...

1. Have Ackbar survive long enough to be the one pull the hyperspace ram, leaving Holdo to fill Leia's shoes in Ep. IX.

2. Luke lives to see Ep. IX too, with the laser batting sequence he and Rey pull actually taking a lot out of him, with the implication that trying a epic Force feat like that again would probably kill him serving as a major foreshadowing.

2b. Going off the above, Finn and Rose man the turrets of the Falcon instead of piloting a speeder, which serves as a better way to make up for their earlier mistake IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: