The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo: A Star Wars Story (original speculation thread)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo: A Star Wars Story (original speculation thread) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Solo: A Star Wars Story (original speculation thread) Reply with quote

The official synopsis was released today:

Quote:
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

I'm officially excited now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 25, 2018. I'm so there. I'm gonna have to check and see if the Uptown theatre near me is pre-ordering tickets like they did for TLJ. Which reminds me: has the release date for TLJ on Blu-ray/DVD been announced yet?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
May 25, 2018. I'm so there. I'm gonna have to check and see if the Uptown theatre near me is pre-ordering tickets like they did for TLJ.

I'll be there on May 24th!

Sutehp wrote:
Which reminds me: has the release date for TLJ on Blu-ray/DVD been announced yet?

No. Rumor has it late March.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TLJ novelization is coming out in early March, and the speculation has been that that was setup to coincide with the home movie release.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
The TLJ novelization is coming out in early March, and the speculation has been that that was setup to coincide with the home movie release.

I was wondering about why the novelization wasn't out yet. Usually they're released concurrently with their respective movie. Indeed, the novelization of Rogue One came out at the same time as the movie did, and I remember all the prequel novelizations coming out at the same time as their respective movies as well. I was wondering why TLJ was different.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: film novelizations Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Falconer wrote:

I was wondering about why the novelization wasn't out yet. Usually they're released concurrently with their respective movie. Indeed, the novelization of Rogue One came out at the same time as the movie did, and I remember all the prequel novelizations coming out at the same time as their respective movies as well. I was wondering why TLJ was different.

The novelization release history is a little more complicated than that. Here are all the release dates with respect to the movie theatrical release dates:

SW (ANH) - about 6 months before
TESB - 1.5 months before
RotJ - 2 weeks before
TPM & AotC - 1 month before
RotS - 1.5 months before

TFA - 3 weeks after
RO - day of film (ebook), few days later (hardback)
TLJ - almost three months after

I didn't read the classic novelizations until the late 80s, but I really hated that the prequel novelizations were released in advance of the films (and so far ahead at that). I waited until after seeing the prequels to even buy and begin reading the novelizations (but looking at TPM soundtrack track list still spoiled "Qui-Gon's Noble End" for me). A friend's step-brother spoiled himself on TPM by reading the entire novelization before the film came out, I guess because he couldn't wait to find out what happened and failed his willpower roll. I was worried about spoilers from people like that. The advantage for Lucasfilm having the novelizations (and other books and merchandise) out before the films is that they serve as advertisement for the films - Even just seeing a book on a shelf without buying it is promotion of the film.

It seems that in this day and age Disney is really trying to minimize spoilers, at least for opening night type of fans like me, which I really appreciate. For TFA I thought they pushed it back three weeks just because to have something on the shelf the day of they would still have to be printed and shipped out to retailers in advance which allows for spoiler opportunities because of those working in those industries having advance access. Then when Rogue One was out so soon comparatively, I thought maybe those processes were more secure, or they just didn't care as much about spoilers for RO. Now with TLJ we have a completely unprecedented long wait for the novelization. But we also have an unprecedented situation with the next film coming out only about 6 months after the previous one. But Falconer is probably right that they are just tying TLJ novelization in with the film's home video release, which will most assuredly advertise for Solo.

Who knows what the norm will become with novelization release dates? I haven't heard any word on the Solo novelization release, but they are uncharacteristically holding off on promoting the Solo film, perhaps due to TLJ still being in theaters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is that the TLJ novelization will be written in the style of a choose-your-own-adventure gamebook, finally giving all fans what they truly want. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Word on the street is that the TLJ novelization will be written in the style of a choose-your-own-adventure gamebook, finally giving all fans what they truly want. Wink

I LOLed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Super Bowl spot, folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o Wink
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I thought they were gonna do all movie releases around Christmas.

I'm not upset about only having to wait 3.5 more months.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Ditto. This alone will make my whole summer worthwhile. 8)
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas378 wrote:
Here's the Super Bowl spot, folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o :wink:

Pretty cool for a teaser. Trailer tomorrow.

Raven Redstar wrote:

No Star Wars movies were supposed to be around Christmas. TFA was supposed to be May 2015, but Abrams needed more time and it was delayed to December. RO was supposed to be May 2016 but reshoots for tone delayed it to December. TLJ was supposed to be May 2017 but script rewrites delayed it to December.

Solo was supposed to be May 2018, the directors were fired mid-filming, production was delayed while they secured Ron Howard, but somehow Solo is still on target for May! Yay!

Episode IX was scheduled for May 2019, but they fired the director and hired Abrams to take it over, but he accepted only on the condition that they delay the release to December. :-(

Raven Redstar wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Ditto. This alone will make my whole summer worthwhile.

Yes! Star Wars belongs in May!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No Star Wars movies were supposed to be around Christmas. TFA was supposed to be May 2015, but Abrams needed more time and it was delayed to December. RO was supposed to be May 2016 but reshoots for tone delayed it to December. TLJ was supposed to be May 2017 but script rewrites delayed it to December.

Solo was supposed to be May 2018, the directors were fired mid-filming, production was delayed while they secured Ron Howard, but somehow Solo is still on target for May! Yay!

Episode IX was scheduled for May 2019, but they fired the director and hired Abrams to take it over, but he accepted only on the condition that they delay the release to December. Sad

Ah, I see. I guess there is some hindrance to not doing a ton of research on the new movies in an effort to avoid having them spoiled.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Solo: A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/full-solo-trailer-star-wars-airs-exclusively-good/story?id=52843172

And here is the full trailer!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to know more about Emilia Clarke's character: who is she and what's her relationship to Han Solo?

I really want to see what Donald Glover does as Lando Calrissian as well.

Damn, I can't wait for this movie.

EDIT: Just noticed something else after rewatching the ABC trailer: Near the end of the trailer, when the TIEs are chasing the Falcon, one of the TIEs has the double hull of a TIE Bomber, but the straight Solar panels of a TIE Fighter. Granted, it's not quite the double hull of a Bomber: the secondary hull is smaller than a Bomber's bomb bay and carries a double laser cannon that seems more powerful than the standard TIE laser cannon rather than being a standard bomb bay.

I wonder what they'll name this TIE variant?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: