The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Classic Sci-Fi Series Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Classic Sci-Fi Series Ships Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Classic Sci-Fi Series Ships Reply with quote

I just found something. It’s a pdf brochure for an auction of one-of-a-kind models and miniatures from the classic TV series Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. Some of these might be good crossover fodder. Before you click the link, be advised that it is a 40-page pdf, so it may take a while and a good chunk of your mobile data to download.

Link.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Battlestar and Buck?!?!

I may have to spend some money...
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in June.... too bad. I really wanted that $60,000 Cylon suit!

That takes me back. Nice find, CRM.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this, CR. Not only were the pictures of great quality, but it included some trivia to boot.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool.

I’ve always felt that, if you squint a bit, classic BG is the 70s Star Wars TV series.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Very cool.

I’ve always felt that, if you squint a bit, classic BG is the 70s Star Wars TV series.

I noticed a few similarities as a kid. Lucas didn't have squint too much. Lucasfilm filed a lawsuit against BG and it was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas tried to sue everybody back then
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of Whill bringing up a Buck Rogers ship in a different topic. For those of you who haven't taken the time to look at the linked pdf in the OP, here's a list of the ships featured:
    Classic Battlestar Galactica
    COLONIAL
    -Galactica
    -Viper
    -Shuttle
    -Colonial Movers
    -"Flat Top" Ship
    -Gemini Freighter
    -Livery Ship
    -Rising Star
    CYLON
    -Basestar
    -Raider
    -Tanker
    Buck Rogers
    -Thunder Fighter
    -Draconia
    -Ranger 3
    -Ardala's Launch
    -Hawk Fighter
    -Belly Bomber
    -Scorpion Fighter
    -Mantis
    -Olympiad
    -Searcher Shuttle
    -Shark Fighter
    -Zaad Supply Ship
A lot of these would make for great crossover fodder. The Draconia, Ardala's Launch and the Draconian Hatchet Fighter (which you'd have to track down elsewhere) would make a great antagonist's fleet, and crossovers of the various fighters might make for fun options for the PCs, or as NPC opposition.

I've also had this idea for a while that the Galactica would make a great crossover ship as a Rendili Stardrive product (on account of the bow profile looking vaguely like a Dreadnought Cruiser), and that Vipers would be a nice stand-in for the Corellian LAF-250s.

Also, I don't recall where exactly I heard this, but this does seem to be the appropriate topic to bring it up:
    There's a fan theory out there that Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica are actually in the same universe.

Consider: unless you've been living under a rock, you're probably aware of at least the basic plot of Classic Battlestar Galactica, of a rag-tag fleet seeking out the lost 13th colony of Earth. However, in the 2nd season of Buck Rogers, the main characters embark on an extended voyage aboard a ship called the Searcher, with a mission to search the galaxy to find the lost tribes of the human race who spread among the stars after World War III of the 20th century. (Emphasis Mine).

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
...A lot of these would make for great crossover fodder. The Draconia, Ardala's Launch and the Draconian Hatchet Fighter (which you'd have to track down elsewhere) would make a great antagonist's fleet, and crossovers of the various fighters might make for fun options for the PCs, or as NPC opposition.

I've also had this idea for a while that the Galactica would make a great crossover ship as a Rendili Stardrive product (on account of the bow profile looking vaguely like a Dreadnought Cruiser), and that Vipers would be a nice stand-in for the Corellian LAF-250s.

When I was a kid I loved that BR bird fighter and the bird guy who flew it. But looking at those models, I have to say that BG really captured that Star Wars model style. They easily look like they could exist in the SW universe. Crossovers would be cool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Also, I don't recall where exactly I heard this, but this does seem to be the appropriate topic to bring it up:
    There's a fan theory out there that Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica are actually in the same universe.

Consider: unless you've been living under a rock, you're probably aware of at least the basic plot of Classic Battlestar Galactica, of a rag-tag fleet seeking out the lost 13th colony of Earth. However, in the 2nd season of Buck Rogers, the main characters embark on an extended voyage aboard a ship called the Searcher, with a mission to search the galaxy to find the lost tribes of the human race who spread among the stars after World War III of the 20th century. (Emphasis Mine).

I remember hearing that many moons ago, and it makes some sense.. Though if they did exist in the same reality, where did the cylons go??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I remember hearing that many moons ago, and it makes some sense.. Though if they did exist in the same reality, where did the cylons go??

I think the premise was that, at some point, the Searcher and the Galactica Fleet would meet in the middle, and thus the Buck Rogers universe would have to side with the Colonials to defeat the Cylons. And then you get into who the Draconians would side with; picture an alliance of convenience between Baltar and Ardala, with both planning to stab the other in the back the moment the time is ripe.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the Colonial Vipers in my Star Wars.

I call them 'Corellian Vipers' and they were a pre-empire product of...uh...Corellia. I had them use the fighter as their own planetary defense forces with the Battlestars as the carriers.

After the Empire took control, a lot of the Vipers and at least one Battlestar fell into (thrust into) the hands of the resistance.

Just too cool of a fighter to NOT use. The boost of speed from the Turbo gave it a special flavor.

The Buck Rogers Thunder fighter, I dubbed 'Thunderbird' and had it as an older privately built fighter still available at various dealers throughout the galaxy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapted the cylon raider, for one of my scout ships.. The spectre.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I've always used the Colonial Vipers in my Star Wars.

I call them 'Corellian Vipers' and they were a pre-empire product of...uh...Corellia. I had them use the fighter as their own planetary defense forces with the Battlestars as the carriers.

After the Empire took control, a lot of the Vipers and at least one Battlestar fell into (thrust into) the hands of the resistance.

Just too cool of a fighter to NOT use. The boost of speed from the Turbo gave it a special flavor.

The Buck Rogers Thunder fighter, I dubbed 'Thunderbird' and had it as an older privately built fighter still available at various dealers throughout the galaxy.

garhkal wrote:
I adapted the cylon raider, for one of my scout ships.. The spectre.

Post stats? These all sound like great ideas, but I'd like to see what you did with them.

The Turbo Boost sounds like it has a lot in common with the SLAM Module.

In fact, while we're on the subject, I'm wondering if the thruster module Poe used in the opening scene of TLJ was basically a strap-on SLAM module, as opposed to an integrated one, but I digress...

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, IIRC, the BR WWIII started right after he left Earth in 1987, and the human diaspora from Earth to space was to escape the nuclear devastation. On BG Earth was one of 13 colonies of humans that originated elsewhere thousands of years ago. So it doesn't seem easy to reconcile these. Not that continuity was ever that important in these shows. Just sayin'.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: