The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ewok Force user
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ewok Force user Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hwayeez
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Ewok Force user Reply with quote

Looking for more brainstorming help...

One of my players just started a Force-sensitive Ewok. The furry little guy favors the bow, but also carries a spear for melee. He definitely wants to develop Force skills and powers but does *not* want to wield a lightsaber. Instead, he'd like to use the Force to help guide his arrows. I'm happy to work up some kind of archery-equivalent to the Lightsaber Combat power, but I'm looking for ideas on how to justify a substantial increase in damage dice for a Force-guided arrow without just making lighsaber-ish arrowheads.

My initial thought was to have him find a splintered kyber crystal so he could embed kyber shards in his bow and/or arrowheads. Other ideas?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how you could get increased damage either.. Unless you make it where when using his force bow power, then he gets to use the rule of engagement dice pooling damage/to hit increase methods.. Such as he can sacrifice 2d from his tohit pool to gain +1d to damage. or use the other methods where every 5 over the to hit needed number he gets, he adds +1 to damage (OR make it 3:1).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'd make it a Sense and Alter power; Sense for skill, Alter for damage. His arrows are far more accurate, and are accelerated by the Force.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I’m way off base here, but, doesn’t everybody use the Force? Aren’t Jedi just people who train in specific techniques to enhance use of the Force? If the Ewok character is not training with a Jedi, then, what sets his bow or spear use apart from any other Ewok’s? If he is training with a Jedi, then, isn’t lightsaber use essential to their method?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a valid point. The Tepo paladins (SP??) left the order cause they DIDN'T want to train in lightsabers and wanted to focus on blaster combat..

Also, what era is this going to be in? How will this ewok have learned the force? Who will his master be, or will he not have one?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teepo paladin. And there's a nuance there - they wanted to train in blasters and other weapons in addition to lightsabers.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Teepo_Paladins
Hwayeez
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering questions:
- Classic post-ANH/pre-ESB era.
- Initial trainer will be a Force ghost.
- I'm assuming that there are other Force-users in the galaxy with techniques/training other than the Jedi or Sith ways and/or who don't use lightsabers - like the discussion of the Revwian Tia Adept in the Second Edition (Revised & Expanded) core book.

Thanks, all!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will he be off planet?
Hwayeez
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ewok was investigating an Imperial cargo shuttle on an Endor landing pad and got locked in the cargo bay when another PC, a defecting Imperial pilot, commandeered the shuttle and took off.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hwayeez wrote:
The Ewok was investigating an Imperial cargo shuttle on an Endor landing pad and got locked in the cargo bay when another PC, a defecting Imperial pilot, commandeered the shuttle and took off.
Hwayeez wrote:
I'm assuming that there are other Force-users in the galaxy with techniques/training other than the Jedi or Sith ways and/or who don't use lightsabers - like the discussion of the Revwian Tia Adept in the Second Edition (Revised & Expanded) core book.

Great premise. Yes, there are other Force paths that do not involve the Jedi, Sith, or lightsabers. But I don't see that the PC even needs to Force to make him a better archer. If he wants to be more accurate with a bow than just advance the skill through CPs like any character. Being a PC, he can save some CPs to burn in play to help out his rolls, and he'll have Force Points for occasional epic heroic acts of archery beyond the realm of most NPCs most of the time. All this is possible without using Force powers. And to increase damage, you can use the dice pooling option or result bonuses (high to hit rolls over the difficulty) like garkhal said above, without special Force Powers. He can still be Force-sensitive and use Force powers for other things, but I just don't see that Force powers are needed to be an awesome Ewok archer. He's going to be the only PC with a bow so he will be special.

My next campaign is going to have an adolescent Force-sensitive Ewok in the same timeframe who will have a kyberish crystal shard necklace with some quasi-holocron qualities that was given to him by his Force-sensitive mother before he left the forest moon of Endor. (The crystal had come to the forest moon in a meteorite on the day the PC had been born.) It gives a bonus to Postcognition and also allows the PC to occasionally get "pre-programmed" advice from his mother. For a range weapon the Ewok will have a stun gun, but he will be a good melee guy with a staff (like Chirrut and Rey) and will eventually go a quest for a lightsaber. He will have some Jedi and other path teachers along the way.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True there are plenty of force orders, but how well are they even known about, even IN a time frame After RotJ?? White current was barely even known of after luke met them in the black fleet crisis.. Witches of Dathomir were known of, but still locked on planet. Teepo paladins were all but exterminated by vader and co.. Not sure of the others..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True there are plenty of force orders, but how well are they even known about, even IN a time frame After RotJ?? White current was barely even known of after luke met them in the black fleet crisis.. Witches of Dathomir were known of, but still locked on planet. Teepo paladins were all but exterminated by vader and co.. Not sure of the others..

You must unlearn what you have learned.

This WEG Star Wars RPG existed before any of those EU orders. The game itself suggests it is possible for Force PCs to find teachers, but not all of them may be Jedi. The 1e core book had the PC template Alien Student of the Force which was not Jedi, and as Hwayeez mentioned, R&E even details one non-Jedi Force path, the Tyia. Also, every GM is free to make up his own non-Jedi Force paths for his own Star Wars universe. A PC could find one of those Force-users and learn from them. You should not be trying to limit Hwayeez's options to the EU or your SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hwayeez
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great comments!

It's not just archery; the player definitely wants the Ewok to learn other Force powers, possibly even from the Jedi method. He just doesn't want a lightsaber.

I've never used the dice pooling method; I'll look into that as an option, too. My players would've liked that when they ran into a wampa in the last session! (That was a planned "sometimes you need to run" encounter; always a risk for 10- and 12-year old boy players, but they handled it well. In fact, they surprised me by not throwing the single grenade they had, but instead quickly using teamwork to make a hole for it in the ice wall and intentionally collapsing the tunnel - demolitions skill FTW!)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is precedent for this. One of the templates in WEG’s Heroes and Rogues book is a Force Sensitive Ewok Shaman. The D6 Holocron has it here.

As far as Lightsaber Combat, I’ve always felt that the power as worded places too much emphasis on the Lightsaber, and not the Jedi holding it. My current theory is to get rid of Lightsaber Combat entirely and fold the relevant portions into an expanded version of Combat Sense. The bonus curve wouldn’t be as high as it is in Lightsaber Combat, but it can be used with pretty much any personal weapon (including a bow and arrow).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This WEG Star Wars RPG existed before any of those EU orders. The game itself suggests it is possible for Force PCs to find teachers, but not all of them may be Jedi. The 1e core book had the PC template Alien Student of the Force which was not Jedi, and as Hwayeez mentioned, R&E even details one non-Jedi Force path, the Tyia. Also, every GM is free to make up his own non-Jedi Force paths for his own Star Wars universe. A PC could find one of those Force-users and learn from them. You should not be trying to limit Hwayeez's options to the EU or your SWU.

Just asking about how he will have the knowledge of those orders out there (IE who knows, what they know etc) is not me trying to limit him to what MY vision of things is..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: