The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Case for Hex Maps & Six Fire Arcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Case for Hex Maps & Six Fire Arcs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: The Case for Hex Maps & Six Fire Arcs Reply with quote

Obviously, the game as played is set up with four fire arcs, but as garhkal has mentioned more than once, he prefers to use the six-sided hex maps found in other tabletop games. Normally, it's not something I'd consider, but I'd like to hear if anyone else does something similar, and what are the pros and cons.

The one thing I can think of is that dividing the left and right fire arcs into front-left/rear-left and front-right and rear-right does a better job of representing the oblong shape of most ships in the SWU (longer than they are wider)...

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how i envision it... the hex spot in front is forward arc. The hexes to the left and right of it are Forward-left OR forward/right
The ones to the right and left of those are rear/left or rear/right.
The one directly to the rear is just rear.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrow from FASA's Star Trek.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/images/8177f79eed243a6cdaff4c3b6aa0b0e17cc3e846d5b3522e38f1a81a8e8cce80.jpeg
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks decent.. I might have to adapt to that!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Case for Hex Maps & Six Fire Arcs Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Obviously, the game as played is set up with four fire arcs, but as garhkal has mentioned more than once, he prefers to use the six-sided hex maps found in other tabletop games. Normally, it's not something I'd consider, but I'd like to hear if anyone else does something similar, and what are the pros and cons.

The one thing I can think of is that dividing the left and right fire arcs into front-left/rear-left and front-right and rear-right does a better job of representing the oblong shape of most ships in the SWU (longer than they are wider)...

Thoughts?

I think it would almost make more sense to not have Front or Back arcs, but instead left forward, left, left back/right forward, right, right back arcs. It matches with captial ships doing the classic sailing ship broadside, IMO.

I also think, if you're going to switch up the arcs, shields should be able to cover two adjacent arcs... so you could be left/right front, or left front/middle, but not left front/right rear.

It would also match with "Put your deflectors on; double front", but that's just bonus.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this isn't the age of sail, and there are a lot of ships with fixed-forward armament, particularly starfighters. Having purely front or rear fire arcs coincides with this. In fact, the "Deadly Cone" described in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook corresponds exactly with a 60-degree Rear Arc.

In retrospect, there are a lot of reasons for a Base 6 number generator like D6 to use a hex map. For one thing, it's a lot easier to calculate scatter on a 6-sided pattern when using a 6-sided D.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And fits right in with the d6 system grenade scatter!! Don't you just love that
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
But this isn't the age of sail, and there are a lot of ships with fixed-forward armament, particularly starfighters. Having purely front or rear fire arcs coincides with this. In fact, the "Deadly Cone" described in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook corresponds exactly with a 60-degree Rear Arc.

In retrospect, there are a lot of reasons for a Base 6 number generator like D6 to use a hex map. For one thing, it's a lot easier to calculate scatter on a 6-sided pattern when using a 6-sided D.

...duh. Yup. That makes sense. Nevermind.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this.

The only question I have concern targeting a ship that is 90 degrees from the front or rear fire arc. Almost seems like you'd need to go octagonal, rather than hexagonal.

Having said that, since the line dividing the two left arcs (or right arcs) is geometrically one dimensional, you could just flip a coin (roll a die) to determine which arc gets to fire at a ship that is approaching at a perpendicular angle.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And fits right in with the d6 system grenade scatter!! Don't you just love that

It is growing on me, especially since the crossovers I'm doing from Renegade Legion and Battletech all use hex maps as well.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I like this.

The only question I have concern targeting a ship that is 90 degrees from the front or rear fire arc. Almost seems like you'd need to go octagonal, rather than hexagonal.

Having said that, since the line dividing the two left arcs (or right arcs) is geometrically one dimensional, you could just flip a coin (roll a die) to determine which arc gets to fire at a ship that is approaching at a perpendicular angle.

Or just rule that existing Left and Right Arc weaponry can fire into both Arcs.

Obviously, adopting this would require some stat revisions, but considering the number of those I've already done...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I like this.

90 degrees off the front means side.. BROADSIDE!
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
I like this.

Or just rule that existing Left and Right Arc weaponry can fire into both Arcs.

Obviously, adopting this would require some stat revisions, but considering the number of those I've already done...

What if guns can fire in their designated arcs... and in adjacent arcs with -1D fire control?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a good solution. If guns can fire into both ars, then what is the point of having 6 instead of 4?

Mr.Nexx's idea bears consideration, I think.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

What if guns can fire in their designated arcs... and in adjacent arcs with -1D fire control?

I'd say make it -2d...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: