The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pistol Whipping for Palpatine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Pistol Whipping for Palpatine Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Pistol Whipping for Palpatine Reply with quote

So, how would you rule someone making a melee attack with a blaster? It might be hitting someone with a fist holding a blaster, or clubbing them with a blaster rifle, etc.?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Str+1 damage.. Maybe +1d..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A club does STR+1D. So using a blaster rifle might be STR+1D. A blaster pistol should do less damage, STR+1 works.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option could be to add a significant amount of damage (like, str +2D) but cap the result at stunned (with a high enough roll renering unconscious, but only stunned, not incapacitated).
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually getting hit with a pistol is a rather nasty attack. I don't think capping the damage result to stunned reflects the reality of getting hit with a pistol.

Also, a vibrobayonet is STR +1D+2 - which means that I think something like STR + 1D at a maximum seems reasonable for striking with the butt of a blaster rifle or blaster carabine, and STR +1 or +2 or something seems about right for a blaster pistol.

And now I want to make a Whiphid Bounty Hunter with a Blaster Rifle with an underbarrel vibro axe.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vibroshiv is STR+1D. I think getting stabbed with a powered weapon should be worse than getting hit with a small chunk of metal and plastic.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should consider the intent of the OP. I'm venturing to guess that the intent of the pistol whip is to subdue the target rather than just shoot him with the blaster. This of course begs the question of whether there is a stun setting on that blaster.

In any case, there is a clear difference between lethal and less lethal damage. If the intent is subdual, then STR+1 or +2 will likely have a woeful prospect of achieving the intended result unless we allow for the option to have a high likelihood of subdual with no chance of lethality (hence my suggestion).

Regarding the whippid with bayonet, consider also that melee weapons in SW D6 have a damage cap... regardless of the attacker's strength (another silly artifiality of the system: a strong enough character will do more damage with bare hands than with a deadly weapon).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

And now I want to make a Whiphid Bounty Hunter with a Blaster Rifle with an underbarrel vibro axe.

I've seen one of our con Players wish to do just that for his whiphid pc...

Naaman wrote:

Regarding the whippid with bayonet, consider also that melee weapons in SW D6 have a damage cap... regardless of the attacker's strength (another silly artifiality of the system: a strong enough character will do more damage with bare hands than with a deadly weapon).

On some aspects of it, i can understand the reasoning for it.. You can only push so much force into a weapon before you risk snapping it.. BUT i can also see the other side, of why cap it, when you could ave wookies or other big Str characters blowing that damage out of the water with brawling on its own when on a FP..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my game, I covered Rifle butt-strokes and pistol whipping as part of a list of Talents and Techniques (Like D&D feats)

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5894&highlight=

In essence for a 'pistol whip' the character makes an attack roll with their Pistol skill (Blaster or Firearms). The damage is STR+2D.

For a butt stroke it is STR +3D for a carbine or SMG, STR+4D for a rifle.

It may seem like a lot of damage, but consider that I also have a 'Toughness' skill that my players use to soak blunt force damage and brawl damage with. (but not edged, ballistic or energy damage).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
For my game, I covered Rifle butt-strokes and pistol whipping as part of a list of Talents and Techniques (Like D&D feats)

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5894&highlight=

In essence for a 'pistol whip' the character makes an attack roll with their Pistol skill (Blaster or Firearms). The damage is STR+2D.

For a butt stroke it is STR +3D for a carbine or SMG, STR+4D for a rifle.

It may seem like a lot of damage, but consider that I also have a 'Toughness' skill that my players use to soak blunt force damage and brawl damage with. (but not edged, ballistic or energy damage).

Yeah, a "toughness" rating could go a long way towards mitigating the premium on the strength attribute. By "ballistic," I'm gathering that you mean bullets/slugthrowers?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Yeah, a "toughness" rating could go a long way towards mitigating the premium on the strength attribute. By "ballistic," I'm gathering that you mean bullets/slugthrowers?

Indeed you are correct.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Stunning damage (KO but not kill), I was looking at modifying a rule from 2e. In 2e, doing regular damage you can the number before the D of Stun results before being knockout. So I was going to use that rule for Stun damage. Plus what I was going to add is that when you roll “damage”, the better the result more “stuns” result you get. For example a wound result would be equal to two Stun and Incapacitated would be three Stun results.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
For Stunning damage (KO but not kill), I was looking at modifying a rule from 2e. In 2e, doing regular damage you can the number before the D of Stun results before being knockout. So I was going to use that rule for Stun damage. Plus what I was going to add is that when you roll “damage”, the better the result more “stuns” result you get. For example a wound result would be equal to two Stun and Incapacitated would be three Stun results.

I think I see what you mean. Just let unconscious come from the commutative stun effect. That's one way to do it.

Here's mine.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill you are correct. You summed up better of what I was trying to explain!
Btw this concept came from trying to use Shockboxing in a game.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a one-shot where one of the PCs was an Imperial plant. At one point, she wanted to use the butt of her rifle to cold clock another PC. It's so much a part of action movies that I decided that it was worth giving a shot to. I basically said that if she could exceed the difficulty by +10, and then do enough damage to get her to Wounded, then instead of moving the other player down the damage track, we could have her unconscious for several minutes. (I might have said 3D minutes).

It wound up working pretty well. I'd think about incorporating it again in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: