The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What class hyperdrive does the resurgent class battlecruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What class hyperdrive does the resurgent class battlecruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you guys think?
Lower than class 1
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Class 1
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Class 1.5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Class 2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Higher
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
God, I F#$king hate the new EU.

By this do you mean Disney Star Wars in general? Or just Disney non-film publication expansions of the films? I was trying to bring humor into this discussion by referring to Spaceballs. The f-word and hate are pretty extreme words on the eve of a new Disney Star Wars film that is a direct sequel to TFA where this ship came from.

Well, I've made my issues with TFA abundantly clear in several other topics, and I'm not going to rehash them again. When I say "EU", my meaning is "stuff other than the films." There is the distinct impression that the people who are generating this stuff literally have no idea what they are talking about (and I mean that literally, not figuratively).

So far, though, since the Disney transition, the only official release that has truly "lived up" to Star Wars, IMO, is Rogue One. I'm hoping that The Last Jedi and Episode IX redeem TFA, but as it currently stands, my impression of TFA is that of a giant plothole in space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did Lucas film sell Star Wars to Disney?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Someone here (Sutehp?) once made the statement that JJ Abrams seems incapable of conceiving of a universe in which you can't see from one side to the other in real time. There are serious continuity issues with travel times, as well as the passage of time in general, in TFA. Just because something appears to happen quickly in TFA doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

It very likely was me who said this as I came across this very statement on TVTropes for the TFA entry. Yeah, the thing with the people on Takodana seeing the destruction of Hosnian Prime in real time just by looking up at the sky echoes the same silliness in Star Trek 2009 (another J.J. Abrams film) when Spock Prime saw Vulcan's destruction in the sky of Delta Vega, which likely isn't even in the same solar system as Vulcan. And even if it was, there's no way Spock would have seen Vulcan appear as big as it did in Delta Vega's sky without some sort of cheat or aid. At least Spock witnessing Vulcan's demise was handwaved with the explanation that Spock Prime had a "psychic vision" of Vulcan's destruction, which is partially justified in that Vulcans are telepathic. The Hosnian Prime kablooie doesn't even have that excuse.

As for hyperspace travel times, WEG probably wanted to preserve a sense of Age of Sail with travel across the galaxy lasting days, weeks or even months, perhaps to give GMs and players some downtime between adventures. With movies and TV shows, however, everything has to move along at the Speed of Plot or the story breaks down. Different mediums with different requirements, so it's no wonder that a few things can't or won't translate properly between the two.

Hell, in TESB, I'm still wondering if the Millennium Falcon's trip from Anoat to Bespin lasted a few hours/days or several months. If the former, then Luke was especially stupid and reckless to go fight Vader with such short and informal training that lasted only a few days. (After three years of fighting the Empire, he would already be a veteran Rebel by this time and really should have known better than to rush off into an obvious trap. Then again, his best friends were in danger and he couldn't do nothing.) If the latter, then there's no way for a movie made by George Lucas (or perhaps for movies in general) to conveniently let the audience know about a months-long time skip between scenes without it being clunky or disrupting the narrative. Sure, I've seen it done with title-ins in movies before, but that just doesn't seem like a Star Wars-y thing to do. All the time skips in Star Wars happen between the movies, not during them.

And with Rogue One, which especially seems to depend on the Speed of Plot (perhaps more than any other Star Wars movie), you have Jyn and co. traveling close to the length of the galaxy several times over in just a few days, which complicates things even further in comparison with the WEG hyperspace travel times.

Last edited by Sutehp on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About my questioning on takodana, the reason I think they brought a resurgent class was because the ties at takodana have no hyperdrive as those were standarded ties, then again it might just be plot speed, so it’s hard to tell.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the question of what class of hyperdrive the Resurgent-class has, I always assumed that ever since the Imperator-class, all Imperial ships of destroyer size would have a Class One as the Empire/First Order would want to project its naval power to as many places as possible as quickly as possible. IIRC, the Victory-class and the Executor both have a Class Two, which is justified for the former in that it's an older ship and justified for the latter because it's such a large ship.

As for hyperdrives that are faster than Class One (including the Millennium Falcon's Class 0.5), my take on it is that they are always illegal, always nonstandard, are not mass produced by any corporation (legitimate or otherwise), are always a modification of an existing hyperdrive or are one-time special orders from black market engineers, and require a buttload of constant maintenance.
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
As to the question of what class of hyperdrive the Resurgent-class has, I always assumed that ever since the Imperator-class, all Imperial ships of destroyer size would have a Class One as the Empire/First Order would want to project its naval power to as many places as possible as quickly as possible. IIRC, the Victory-class and the Executor both have a Class Two, which is justified for the former in that it's an older ship and justified for the latter because it's such a large ship.

As for hyperdrives that are faster than Class One (including the Millennium Falcon's Class 0.5), my take on it is that they are always illegal, always nonstandard, are not mass produced by any corporation (legitimate or otherwise), are always a modification of an existing hyperdrive or are one-time special orders from black market engineers, and require a buttload of constant maintenance.

They were able to get to takodana pretty fast, I at the minute, believe it most likely has class 1.0 and I’m pretty sure an imperial class has class 2.0
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Yeah, Class .5 hyperdrive are rot used for warships, id say the fastest hyperdrive the resurgent has is a class .6 as the Acclamator-class did.
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Victory-class and the Executor both have a Class Two,

Didn’t the victory have a class one, it says on wiki
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_II-class_Star_Destroyer#WikiHeader
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
By this do you mean Disney Star Wars in general? Or just Disney non-film publication expansions of the films? I was trying to bring humor into this discussion by referring to Spaceballs. The f-word and hate are pretty extreme words on the eve of a new Disney Star Wars film that is a direct sequel to TFA where this ship came from.

When I say "EU", my meaning is "stuff other than the films." There is the distinct impression that the people who are generating this stuff literally have no idea what they are talking about (and I mean that literally, not figuratively).

I don't disagree with you on the Disney "stuff other than the films." The EU was far from perfect but so far Disney SW publications are extremely disappointing overall.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The EU was far from perfect but so far Disney SW publications are extremely disappointing overall.

I could adjust to so much of the post-Endor EU being wiped out if it were replaced by something superior (by which I mean better organized). At the moment, what we've been given is simply a different, unknown sort of disorganization.

Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we’re kinda getting off topic because we were first talking about the speed of the resurgent and now we’re talking about stuff like the EU.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Rex wrote:
I feel like we’re kinda getting off topic because we were first talking about the speed of the resurgent and now we’re talking about stuff like the EU.
The problem is that any discussion of the Resurgent in this particular section should be a prelude to making stats, and the conflicting and highly unbalancing official information makes this extremely difficult if not impossible.

Your options are:
    A). Make it massively overarmed, with a Space of 12 so that it can outrun a TIE Fighter, and give it a x.0000001 Hyperdrive to make it square with apparent trip times in the Disneyverse.

B). Accept that what information we have is either flat out wrong or conflicts quite badly with the current game, and thus does not permit the creation of a stat that is 1) accurate and 2) well-balanced, and thus accept something more useful and realistic.

I believe shootingwomprats' stat for the Finalizer is more than sufficient for a ship that exists in time period we know next to nothing about.

Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Captain Rex wrote:
The problem is that any discussion of the Resurgent in this particular section should be a prelude to making stats, and the conflicting and highly unbalancing official information makes this extremely difficult if not impossible.

Your options are:
    A). Make it massively overarmed, with a Space of 12 so that it can outrun a TIE Fighter, and give it a x.0000001 Hyperdrive to make it square with apparent trip times in the Disneyverse.

B). Accept that what information we have is either flat out wrong or conflicts quite badly with the current game, and thus does not permit the creation of a stat that is 1) accurate and 2) well-balanced, and thus accept something more useful and realistic.

I believe shootingwomprats' stat for the Finalizer is more than sufficient for a ship that exists in time period we know next to nothing about.

Ok
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The problem I have with that is he says there is no point defence cannons and the arnament does not make up to 1500 although I do agree with the one he stated after which was.
1200 turbolasers
300 ion cannons
70 point defence cannons
20 point defence missles
18 tractor beam projectors

Last edited by Captain Rex on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Rex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m also questening if the resurgent has that heat sink in the bf II campaign.
In the new resserection (minor spoilers do not read on if you want spoilers)
You need to destroy a heat sink to get in Hasks resurgent class battlecruiser, but on the design, you don’t see the heat sink on the back of the battlecruiser.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlSb-8gHBBhLNATIJw7CDGfL2W3G3NhUtqiiSJVZ_Zxl94YfIloK4kuT41Kw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: