The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cover & Random Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cover & Random Fire Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Agility Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Slightly altered? How?

I seem to recall that you wanted to include an endurance aspect since the dictionary definition of the word agility includes endurance. I want my agility to remain a dexterity skill and I want endurance to remain in strength. So my agility skill, despite the dictionary definition, does not include an endurance aspect, at least not in ways that would be covered by the existing strength attribute and stamina skill.

But the basic premise of combining Running and Dodge is the basis for my Agility skill too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Agility Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I seem to recall that you wanted to include an endurance aspect since the dictionary definition of the word agility includes endurance. I want my agility to remain a dexterity skill and I want endurance to remain in strength. So my agility skill, despite the dictionary definition, does not include an endurance aspect, at least not in ways that would be covered by the existing strength attribute and stamina skill.

But the basic premise of combining Running and Dodge is the basis for my Agility skill too.

I vaguely recall that as well, with the primary reasoning behind my speculation being that WEG included distance running as a Specialization of Running. But it never really progressed beyond the point of idle speculation; I agree that the endurance aspect of distance running is well covered by the Stamina skill.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Agility Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
I seem to recall that you wanted to include an endurance aspect since the dictionary definition of the word agility includes endurance... But the basic premise of combining Running and Dodge is the basis for my Agility skill too.

I vaguely recall that as well, with the primary reasoning behind my speculation being that WEG included distance running as a Specialization of Running. But it never really progressed beyond the point of idle speculation; I agree that the endurance aspect of distance running is well covered by the Stamina skill.

Yeah, Distance Running could be a specialization of Stamina maybe. I guess we might be on the same page for the Agility concept.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't know how much you guys take Rules of Engagement as law in your games... But, on page 98, it infers that Stormtroopers can ignore 2D in penalties from smoke, because of MFTAS. So, a Stormtrooper set up on a Repeating blaster gets to ignore 2D of accuracy penalties from low visibility situations, as well as +2D to hit targets moving faster than 10m a round, so unless the targets are creeping or crawling slowly through smoke, the STs can ignore the 4D penalty against them.

That doesn't answer my original question. Stormtroopers aren't the only baddies characters can face, so there needs to be some sort of ground rules to cover characters who don't have a MFTAS and are just firing blindly through the smoke or darkness.

Okay, this is where I stopped reading the thread, so I'll just put my $0.02 in for whatever its worth:

I'm assuming total concealment, zero cover, regardless of who is shooting and who is being shot at.

CRM: your blaster rules may provide a streamlined process for solving this problem, if I remember them correctly.

Things to keep in mind: the shooter does not know when the target will start moving, so its possible they will hit nothing by shooting too early or too late. This should factor into the "difficulty."

Using your own auto-fire rules, you could remove the shooter's skill all together, and just roll the weapon's auto-fire rating (say, 3D, for example) against a difficulty that is determined by the distance to the target area, and the size of the target area. Also, the tactical savvy of the targets may matter: will they move in a cluster, or space themselves out? Will they "pop smoke" and then wait 2 or 10 or 15 seconds before moving to find out whether anyone is "waiting to shoot" once they move? etc., etc.

In any case, whether shooting into darkness or smoke or whatever, roll the dice against your determined difficulty (or oppose with the target's tactics skill, maybe). On a success, deal damage, but with a penalty (since the shots aren't aimed, they are far less likely to be "good hits").

Alternatively, you could just have the shooter and the target each roll a D6. Higher wins. You could add a +1 or +2 bonus for either the shooter or the target (whichever has the higher tactics skill; yes: there are tactical ways to shoot into smoke/darkness as well as move through it when you know there is an active threat).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
With regard to the MFTAS and other optical equipment with similar capabilities, it's possible that advanced technology societies could have a "smoke grenade" that blocks either all or a large portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. the smoke from White Phosphorus not only blocks the visible spectrum, but the infrared spectrum, as the phosphorus particulate matter saturates the smoke cloud with heat. I picture a white phosphorus that also flakes off bits of chaff or charged particles that throw off ionization effects and blocks everything, including sensors and comm signals.

I had a thought on this that takes it one step further. The A3AA Personal Defense System releases a blaster-dispersing aerosol that reduces the damage of all blaster bolts by 2D. In an energy-based weapons environment, imagine incorporating that into a smoke grenade as well...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly i have YET To see a pc take that item..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Surprisingly i have YET To see a pc take that item..
If you give it to an NPC I'm certain that eventually some PC will take it. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover & Random Fire Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Suppose a character or group of characters is moving under the cover of very thick smoke or complete darkness (+4D Difficulty to Perception or Hit). However, the enemy strongly suspects they are moving through the area, even if they aren't exactly sure where, and decides to hose the area with repeating blaster fire, in the hopes of hitting with a random shot.

How would you handle this?

The difficulty will be high. Range difficulty + 4d smoke modifier + movement modifier. (Characters using one or more move are +1d to hit in my game).

I was thinking about something in relation to this. I like jmanski's idea of having characters using one or more Move being +1D to hit, but I'm thinking I'd like to put a twist on it. I'm also thinking that characters moving at All-Out should be at +2D to hit (this is off-set by not being able to Dodge when moving at All-Out), and that any Movement Modifier is reduced by 1D if the target is moving toward or away from the shooter (as defined by the shooter and target's fire arcs relative to each other).

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wrinkle I've considered adding for moving targets is the Speed Factor Modifiers from Mini-D6 (see page 8). It's basically a Scale System for how fast something is moving; it seems the authors intended it primarily for chases, but I can see it being useful for targeting, too. For those who don't have / can't get / don't want a copy of Mini-D6, the codes are:
    Primitive Craft / Muscle Power = 0D
    Motorized Ground / Water Craft = +2D
    Aircraft = +5D
    Spacecraft = +10D

What I'm thinking is, in the absence of a stabilized targeting system that can reasonably be expected to be able to track a target in a given category, the Speed Factor is applied to any Scale Modifiers to hit a target.

For example, a character on the ground wants to fire his Blaster Rifle at a TIE Fighter as it closes in for a strafing run. The TIE Fighter is normally Spacecraft, but functions as an Aircraft when operating in Atmosphere. The Scale difference is +6D, but the character's Blaster Rifle is not equipped to engage Aircraft, so the Speed Factor is subtracted from the Scale Modifier, leaving the character with only a +1D modifier to hit (not counting any Movement Modifiers).

I like this because it allows a little more distinction between what does or doesn't have integrated fire control capability, by declaring in advance what Speed Factors a given weapon's Fire Control is set to engage. A pintle-mounted Heavy Repeating Blaster, for example, could be limited to the 0D Level, while a quad-blaster designed for anti-aircraft defense could be declared to be effective against both Ground Vehicles and Aircraft. I know Naaman has talked in the past about how starfighter fire control systems shouldn't be able to target Character-Scale targets on the ground, so this might work to cover that.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
For those who don't have / can't get / don't want a copy of Mini-D6, the codes are:
    Primitive Craft / Muscle Power = 0D
    Motorized Ground / Water Craft = +2D
    Aircraft = +5D
    Spacecraft = +10D

What I'm thinking is, in the absence of a stabilized targeting system that can reasonably be expected to be able to track a target in a given category, the Speed Factor is applied to any Scale Modifiers to hit a target.

These are for normal movement/high speed or all-out? Or just a general modifier?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
These are for normal movement/high speed or all-out? Or just a general modifier?

This is strictly for resolving Fire Control differences at the moment. It may also be applicable to terrain (as in, an aircraft trying to pursue a vehicle through the same terrain will have greater Difficulty doing so).

The source material (Mini-D6) still uses 1E Speed Codes, so this was their method of "scaling" those Speed Codes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: