The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fourth Star Wars trilogy in the works
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Fourth Star Wars trilogy in the works Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Fourth Star Wars trilogy in the works Reply with quote

RIAN JOHNSON, WRITER-DIRECTOR OF STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, TO CREATE ALL-NEW STAR WARS TRILOGY

Quote:
In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

Thoughts?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TLJ is as good as the trailers and TV spots look, I most definitely believe Episodes X-XII will be in the greatest of hands.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
I most definitely believe Episodes X-XII will be in the greatest of hands.

Earlier this year Lucasfilm announced that effective immediately Star Wars movies will no longer officially be titled with or even referred to by numbers, which means the Episodes XIII and IX will only appear in the opening crawls of the films. Since this fourth trilogy is "separate from the episodic Skywalker saga", I'm quite certain they will not use Episode numerals in the opening crawls of this trilogy, if they even have opening crawls. However I'm sure there will someday be a trilogy that will continue the story of Rey so Episodes X-XII will appear in those opening crawls.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued, to be certain, but there's so little data that it's less than a teaser.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little information there is, I say, "BRING IT ON, BIG SHOOTER!"
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what time period they'll play in.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stoked. This is what I was hoping for with the Disney buy: an opportunity to explore new characters in new situations, instead of focusing always on the Skywalkers.

The Star Wars universe is huge, or at least has the potential to be. It'll be nice to see more of it.

Also, I'm really hoping these people aren't remotely connected to the main characters we know. Maybe like a six degrees of separation thing, but one thing I hated about the prequels was how interconnected everyone was. It created a fishbowl effect for a galaxy that's supposed to be enormous and varied.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm overwhelmed.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I'm stoked. This is what I was hoping for with the Disney buy: an opportunity to explore new characters in new situations, instead of focusing always on the Skywalkers.

The Star Wars universe is huge, or at least has the potential to be. It'll be nice to see more of it.

Also, I'm really hoping these people aren't remotely connected to the main characters we know. Maybe like a six degrees of separation thing, but one thing I hated about the prequels was how interconnected everyone was. It created a fishbowl effect for a galaxy that's supposed to be enormous and varied.

I'm also totally down for all new cinematic adventures unrelated to the Skywalker Saga but taking place in the same universe. As long as it has hyperdrive and thus multiple star systems, and wars, it can still be "Star Wars," right?

But I'm having trouble appreciating your comment about the prequel fishbowl. ANH established Vader as Obi-Wan's former Jedi apprentice and TESB established Yoda as the last known Jedi Master. TESB made Vader Luke's father and RotJ made Leia Luke's sister. Of course the prequels were focused on Obi-Wan and the parents of Luke and Leia. I don't see how the prequels could have told any other story but the fall of the Jedi and Anakin Skywalker, and the rise of Palpatine's Empire that the Rebel Alliance was fighting. It made a lot of sense for the plot of TPM for Palpatine and Padme to come from the same planet. I find it quite organic that the origin of Boba Fett's is related to the origin of stormtroopers. We get to see a logical progression of ships and other technologies. Tatooine being a part of the prequels makes a lot of sense to tell the story of how Luke ended up there, but we got to see so many new planets and Coruscant in much detail. We saw some of the same alien species but a whole lot of new ones. I felt that overall, Lucas struck a good balance between old and new in expanding the existing setting.

I even understand why Lucas included Kashyyyk, yet another jungle/forest planet, in RotS since Yavin and Endor were both substitutes for Kashyyyk. I will however agree that Chewie being a friend of Yoda felt superfluous, but that's a very small part of the prequels as a whole, and completely inconsequential to the story. Yoda had to be somewhere off Coruscant and out in the galaxy when the Skywalker/Palpatine drama was unfolding.

Bren wrote:
I'm overwhelmed.

It may be difficult when feeling overwhelmed, but if you can describe your feelings in more detail, I am curious about what is overwhelming. I felt very overwhelmed when we first heard of the Disney sale and more new films five years ago, but I think that was mostly because I had believed that Star Wars was done as a film franchise and I never imagined anyone else but Lucas at the helm. Are you overwhelmed because you thought the current sequel trilogy and a few anthology films were going to be it? In 2015 Disney announced that there was no end in sight for Star Wars films, so the news story here is only that there will be a new whole trilogy of films unrelated to the episodic film saga. I don't feel too surprised by this news, but I've had years to come to terms with the fact that I will probably see the franchise run into the ground before I die. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inner 11 year-old self is super happy right now!

Why did it take over 30 years?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bren wrote:
I'm overwhelmed.

It may be difficult when feeling overwhelmed, but if you can describe your feelings in more detail, I am curious about what is overwhelming.
It's similar to the feeling I have with the Marvel and DC superhero comics franchises. They are overwhelming in that there are too many films and TV shows in too short a period of time for me to watch them all or even to really want to watch them all. To be fair there are some of the superhero characters who I couldn't care less about. But even with the characters that I like I've reached a saturation point in superheroes. I’m totally uninterested in seeing yet another Spiderman, X-men, Batman, Superman*, or pick your hero(s) reboot. I’m not especially interested in seeing the latest Thor film or the Justice League, despite the fact that I really liked Gal Godot and what they did with her Wonder Woman movie. With the latest Star Wars announcements I’m feeling the exact same way. With at least one new Star Wars film scheduled to come out each year there just isn’t enough time for me to build any anticipation or get excited about the latest film, whatever it may be. Adding in additional TV shows (live or animated) on top of the existing films and TV cartoons just adds to the feeling of massive overkill.

I don’t intend on raining on everyone else’s parade, hence the succinctness and relative ambiguity of my previous comment. If you, or anyone else is excited at the plethora of things Star Warsian to watch, binge away and enjoy by all means.

* Though any more Superman films are too many films. Supes is not a character I’ve ever liked or found empathetic.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. I am resigned to the fact that the OT will always be “my” Star Wars, the one I remember the lines from and around which my RPGs and other fannish activities will always be centered. But, you know, in Arrested Development there’s a line one character grumbles to a kid as she sends him off to the theaters: “Oh, go watch a Star War.” So you can look at it as just a serial, and they keep popping out installments every year, and you go and watch, and forget. Having dozens of these things is not worse than dozens of banal comedies and horror flicks. I might even enjoy some, along the way.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
It's similar to the feeling I have with the Marvel and DC superhero comics franchises. They are overwhelming in that there are too many films and TV shows in too short a period of time for me to watch them all or even to really want to watch them all. To be fair there are some of the superhero characters who I couldn't care less about. But even with the characters that I like I've reached a saturation point in superheroes. I’m totally uninterested in seeing yet another Spiderman, X-men, Batman, Superman*, or pick your hero(s) reboot. I’m not especially interested in seeing the latest Thor film or the Justice League, despite the fact that I really liked Gal Godot and what they did with her Wonder Woman movie...

* Though any more Superman films are too many films. Supes is not a character I’ve ever liked or found empathetic.

The current Marvel and DC shared universes are incomparable. Marvel is 17 films in and DC has 4 until Thursday. Although I respect his place in history as the first "superhero," I'm not a Superman fan either. I love Wonder Woman. I'm cautiously optimistic about Justice League (my family has tickets for opening night). The Marvel Cinematic Universe is generally good but it is starting to get into characters I don't care much about like Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Captain Marvel. I am a minority among everyone I know in that I just didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2. I fear that when they bring all the heroes from all the movies together in next year's Avengers: Infinity War, the MCU house of cards may start to crumble. I haven't been too impressed with any X-Men movies - they are all just ok to me (except X-Med 3 which was crap).

Whill wrote:
In 2015 Disney announced that there was no end in sight for Star Wars films, so the news story here is only that there will be a new whole trilogy of films unrelated to the episodic film saga. I don't feel too surprised by this news, but I've had years to come to terms with the fact that I will probably see the franchise run into the ground before I die.
Bren wrote:
With at least one new Star Wars film scheduled to come out each year there just isn’t enough time for me to build any anticipation or get excited about the latest film, whatever it may be. Adding in additional TV shows (live or animated) on top of the existing films and TV cartoons just adds to the feeling of massive overkill.

I think I understand. I also feel that one movie every year is too much, but I would be ok with one every other year. And that way it will be about twice as long before they start sucking!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

I'm also totally down for all new cinematic adventures unrelated to the Skywalker Saga but taking place in the same universe. As long as it has hyperdrive and thus multiple star systems, and wars, it can still be "Star Wars," right?

But I'm having trouble appreciating your comment about the prequel fishbowl. ANH established Vader as Obi-Wan's former Jedi apprentice and TESB established Yoda as the last known Jedi Master. TESB made Vader Luke's father and RotJ made Leia Luke's sister. Of course the prequels were focused on Obi-Wan and the parents of Luke and Leia. I don't see how the prequels could have told any other story but the fall of the Jedi and Anakin Skywalker, and the rise of Palpatine's Empire that the Rebel Alliance was fighting. It made a lot of sense for the plot of TPM for Palpatine and Padme to come from the same planet. I find it quite organic that the origin of Boba Fett's is related to the origin of stormtroopers. We get to see a logical progression of ships and other technologies. Tatooine being a part of the prequels makes a lot of sense to tell the story of how Luke ended up there, but we got to see so many new planets and Coruscant in much detail. We saw some of the same alien species but a whole lot of new ones. I felt that overall, Lucas struck a good balance between old and new in expanding the existing setting.

I'll try to explain. To be fair, it's been a long while since I watched the prequels themselves. But, my recollection of the films was that it felt as if a ton of stuff was interconnected.

I could go either way on Tatooine appearing in the prequels. I don't think Anakin needed to be from there at all. He or Owen, Beru, and Luke needed to end up there, but that doesn't necessitate that they start there.

I really didn't like that Anakin literally built C-3P0, who referred to him directly as "The Maker." That just seemed an unnecessary connection. I get that they needed to introduce the droids into the story, but it still seemed kind of...forced...the way they did it.

I hated that Chewie and Yoda knew each other. The mere fact that we end up on Kashyyyk does not necessitate Chewie and Yoda having been on the same Little League team. That said, I didn't mind Kashyyyk appearing at all. I quite liked it, actually. The closing montage of the fall of the Jedi was what I'd hoped we'd see a lot more of throughout the films, and it's one of the reasons I came to really enjoy the Clone Wars cartoon. (The 2nd one, I mean -- I hate Tartakovsky's art style.)

This brings up the last aspect that felt like the "fishbowl" effect. I realize that some of this continues from the original trilogy, but it felt like a ton of what happened in the films ignores the HUGE events happening elsewhere. Mostly that's because of where the focal characters are and what they're doing.

Anyway, I won't get too far into why I dislike the prequels. That'd take....a long time. But it just felt like there was a lot of wasted opportunity to expand the universe beyond what they did, and I'm glad to see that will be happening soon (I hope, anyway).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The current Marvel and DC shared universes are incomparable. Marvel is 17 films in and DC has 4 until Thursday.
I'm not just talking about the latest few DC films. There have been more than 4 Batman movies and 4 Superman movies and DC has had and now has a number of live action TV shows a la Smallville, Arrow, old Flash, new Flash, etc. and tons of animated films and TV shows. But you are right that I don’t think they have had quite the recent glut of films that we have seen from Marvel.

Quote:
Although I respect his place in history as the first "superhero," I'm not a Superman fan either. I love Wonder Woman.
Ordinarily I'm not a big Wonder Woman fan. Not enough into bondage, I guess. Laughing But the current iteration is fab. Wonder Woman was the only watchable part of the atrocious Batman vs. Superman flick and her standalone movie was great. The scene where they go over the top in the trenches totally rocks. It makes me think they should have had more trench warfare during the Clone Wars just so we could see a few scenes like that with Jedi.
Quote:
I'm cautiously optimistic about Justice League (my family has tickets for opening night).
Too many characters and too many that I don’t care about like Superman, Aquaman, Flash, or Green Lantern (There’s a Green Lantern in this one, right?) or that I don’t like this iteration of like Ben Affleck Batman. I like Jason Momoa, but Aquaman always seemed like a weak link.

Quote:
The Marvel Cinematic Universe is generally good but it is starting to get into characters I don't care much about like Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Captain Marvel.
Ant-Man was surprisingly good, but I can’t say I care about the character. Dr. Strange was well done, but he’s a character that I like in concept more than I ever want to follow in execution. And Captain Marvel, I don’t think I really even know who that character is. Is he the one who goes Shazaam or something?
Quote:
I am a minority among everyone I know in that I just didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2.
I like GG1, but haven’t yet bothered to watch GG2. The buzz was good, but the previews looked kind of meh to me.
Quote:
I fear that when they bring all the heroes from all the movies together in next year's Avengers: Infinity War, the MCU house of cards may start to crumble.
Too many heroes in the same movie, I suspect. I think those sorts of giant team ups work better in a comic, where I can focus on the characters I like, skip past the ones I don’ d relook at only the characters I like. In a film I’m stuck watching all the characters and seeing the ones I don’t like as much as I see the ones I really like.

Whill wrote:
I think I understand. I also feel that one movie every year is too much, but I would be ok with one every other year. And that way it will be about twice as long before they start sucking!
Every other year would work better for me too. It would give me time to start missing the last film and anticipating the next film and, as you say, it would chronologically stretch out the good times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: