The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Just got my copy of "From A Certain Point of View"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Just got my copy of "From A Certain Point of View" Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Just got my copy of "From A Certain Point of View" Reply with quote

Like, literally, I'm posting after only having gotten this book in the mail less than five minutes ago. I only just started reading "Raymus," the first short story which details the small gap of time between the end of Rogue One and the beginning of A New Hope. This particular story is one that I've wanted to know since I first finished watching Rogue One in the theater last December. And now I'm finally reading it! WOOT!

Truth be told, I've been waiting for this book since I found out that it was on preorder months ago. And now it's here. Finally.

How about you guys? Have any of you gotten your own copies yet? And if so, which stories did you guys like best?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i am even hearing about this..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

What.

Ok, then take a gander at this: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/from-a-certain-point-of-view-ren-e-ahdieh/1126179403#/

The second short story, "Bucket" is about one of the stormtroopers who find Leia hiding on board the Tantive IV and the aftermath of seeing his commanding officer killed right in front of him.

The third story is about the Imperial officer who decided not to shoot down the escape pod R2 and 3PO used, but then realized he screwed up when he found out that the DS plans were likely in that pod and tries to get out of Vader's inevitable punishment. It's told from the perspective of the administrative dataworker that the officer goes to for help. And it's friggin' brilliant.

An anthology of 40 short stories for 40 years of Star Wars told from the perspective of minor characters that appeared briefly in the saga but we never got to see things from their perspective until now. I heartily recommend this book for any Star Wars fan.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:

What.

Ok, then take a gander at this: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/from-a-certain-point-of-view-ren-e-ahdieh/1126179403#/

The second short story, "Bucket" is about one of the stormtroopers who find Leia hiding on board the Tantive IV and the aftermath of seeing his commanding officer killed right in front of him.

The third story is about the Imperial officer who decided not to shoot down the escape pod R2 and 3PO used, but then realized he screwed up when he found out that the DS plans were likely in that pod and tries to get out of Vader's inevitable punishment. It's told from the perspective of the administrative dataworker that the officer goes to for help. And it's friggin' brilliant.

An anthology of 40 short stories for 40 years of Star Wars told from the perspective of minor characters that appeared briefly in the saga but we never got to see things from their perspective until now. I heartily recommend this book for any Star Wars fan.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just put it in my Audible queue.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it ordered through Overdrive.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading "The Red One." I remember reading in one of the WEG D6 books that R2 told R5 about his mission to deliver the Death Star plans and that R5 deliberately blew his motivator in order to help R2. This is that story told from R5's perspective. And it's a tearjerker because R5 was desperate to be sold just so he could get away from the Jawas and finally get some desperately needed maintenance.

And R5 is still in the sandcrawler when the stormtroopers arrive....
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t interest me.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds cool. I haven't read a good SW book from among the new ones yet. Maybe that one will be the one.

Well, that's not true. I did like the Rogue One novelization quite a bit. I was thinking of new stories, though.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I think it sounds cool. I haven't read a good SW book from among the new ones yet. Maybe that one will be the one.

Well, that's not true. I did like the Rogue One novelization quite a bit. I was thinking of new stories, though.

40 brand new stories, each from the perspective of a minor character that was peripherally involved, mentioned or even just briefly glimpsed in A New Hope. The sheer variety of all the minor characters who finally get their moment in the sun as short story protagonists is staggering, some of whom you'd never expect to get a story devoted to them. Hell, Beru Whitesun Lars even gets a chance to tell her story. To say nothing of Long Snoot (the Kubaz who followed Obi-Wan and Luke to Docking Bay 94), General Tagge, Admiral Motti, even Bail Organa and his wife Queen Breha in their last moments on Alderaan when the Death Star arrives.

Trust me, Wajeb. If you're anything like me, you will not be disappointed in these brand new Star Wars stories. Although, I have to warn you, at least a few of these stories are real tarjerkers, especially "Laina," the story about Ryland, a rebel officer (and a recent widower) at Yavin Base who decides that keeping his infant daughter with him at Yavin is too dangerous and has her sent to his sisters to raise her. The real tearjerker comes at the end of the story when it's revealed just where his sisters live...

But yeah, I highly recommend this book for every Star Wars fan.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
But yeah, I highly recommend this book for every Star Wars fan.

It just moved up a notch on my list. I'll be getting it--maybe as my next SW purchase.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading "The Baptist," by Nnedi Okorafor. It's a short story from the perspective of the dianoga monster in the Death Star trash compactor.

And the most gob-smacking thing about this story? If "From A Certain Point of View" is canon (and there's no reason it wouldn't be), then it's now canon that dianogas are sentient.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I just finished reading "The Baptist," by Nnedi Okorafor. It's a short story from the perspective of the dianoga monster in the Death Star trash compactor.

And the most gob-smacking thing about this story? If "From A Certain Point of View" is canon (and there's no reason it wouldn't be), then it's now canon that dianogas are sentient.

The following is just my opinion and only my opinion. In fact from "a certain point of view," you could almost say that its a rant. You have been forewarned..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I actually skimmed through it a little, and to me its just a "fluff" novel full of vignettes that I absolutely loathe. To me, its not worth the $20 to purchase. Each and every minor character in it are just that.... minor. And then there's another issue I have: if they (Disney) want me to care about these characters, then they should commission an actual novel for each character, rather than a bunch of short stories about characters nobody really cares about. I could care less about the Raymus Antilles, or whatever other characters that are in it.

In conclusion, if you like this format of Star Wars novels, more power to you. Not me. I won't plop down $20 for a bunch of characters that I couldn't give the time of day contemplating or caring about.

P.S. Do we really need dianogas to be sentient. Sloppy storytelling, IMO....
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a SW novel I would be interested in would be one about the last hours of Owen and Beru. Maybe done in the style of Killing Lincoln/Kennedy/Patton". Just a thought.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mine on order at the library.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Now a SW novel I would be interested in would be one about the last hours of Owen and Beru. Maybe done in the style of Killing Lincoln/Kennedy/Patton". Just a thought.

I'm with you on the lack of interest in background character short stories, but I also have no interest in full fledged novels starring minor characters, or even a novel on the last hours of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. That sounds extremely boring to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: