The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Hunter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jedi Hunter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kytross wrote:
Ysalamiri were known about during the Clone Wars, and were the reason clones could be grown so fast.

While this is still Legends, as far as I know, it was alluded to on Kamino when they told Obi-Wan that if he wants more clones that they will need more time.

They were known about before the Clone Wars, because the Jedi avoided this planet, which made it a haven for criminals and smugglers. It is an inner rim world, so it was likely settled by the Republic millenia ago.

I wouldn't make it starting gear, but a quest reward.

Let me guess, all that is coming from the clone wars cartoon...

I've never seen a single episode.

The line about needing more time comes from Attack of the Clones.

The rest of it comes from the Thrawn Trilogy, the only set of Extended Universe books that George Lucas has stated that he read. The Thrawn Trilogy is the first place to name Coruscant. Ysalamiri were created by the author, Timothy Zahn, who has been writing Star Wars books since 1991 and has arguably had more impact on the Star Wars universe than anyone else.

Except the Flannelled One.

But for all I know, Disney may have tossed it out like a baby with the bathwater.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I think you are misremembering AotC.
Not misremembering. I was referring to his death in the arena.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
...Timothy Zahn, who has been writing Star Wars books since 1991 and has arguably had more impact on the Star Wars universe than anyone else.

Ok, I'll bite. Who is the Flannelled One?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Kytross wrote:
...Timothy Zahn, who has been writing Star Wars books since 1991 and has arguably had more impact on the Star Wars universe than anyone else.

Ok, I'll bite. Who is the Flannelled One?

George Lucas
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
The line about needing more time comes from Attack of the Clones.

The rest of it comes from the Thrawn Trilogy, the only set of Extended Universe books that George Lucas has stated that he read. The Thrawn Trilogy is the first place to name Coruscant. Ysalamiri were created by the author, Timothy Zahn, who has been writing Star Wars books since 1991 and has arguably had more impact on the Star Wars universe than anyone else.

But for all I know, Disney may have tossed it out like a baby with the bathwater.

Then where are you getting that they were known about in the clone wars from?? Zahn wrote for the new republic era mostly, and from what i remember, Myrkr was NOT even known about to most places..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the books. The information is in there.

Granted it wasn't common knowledge, but that doesn't mean it wasn't known about.

I'd make it a moderate streetwise or law enforcement roll to know that Jedi avoided Myrkr, but a very difficult roll to know why.

As for how the ysalamiri affect cloning, you would have to roll a 50+ or learn that through questing. That was something discovered during the Clone Wars and was a closely kept secret.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

I'd make it a moderate streetwise or law enforcement roll to know that Jedi avoided Myrkr, but a very difficult roll to know why. .

Why streetwise or law enforcement? If anything planetary systems, scholar or jedi-lore would imo be the skills needed.. And Definitely not at the moderate level.. V/diff at the min..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kytross wrote:

I'd make it a moderate streetwise or law enforcement roll to know that Jedi avoided Myrkr, but a very difficult roll to know why. .

Why streetwise or law enforcement? If anything planetary systems, scholar or jedi-lore would imo be the skills needed.. And Definitely not at the moderate level.. V/diff at the min..

The only thing they're learning is that the Jedi don't go to Myrkr, not anything about the ysalamiri. Most people wouldn't know why. The people who know this are the criminals hiding there, and the police that are hunting them down, who know criminals hide on Myrkr.

I'd have six or seven false stories prepped for why the Jedi don't go there.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
A sonic weapon, or something else that cannot be blocked by lightsabers.

A ysalamiri backpack, like the ones Thrawn created in the original Zahn trilogy.

A suit of power armor, to be able to take on a Jedi one-on-one.

Good investigation skills.

Like these guys? 8)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Read the books. The information is in there.

Yes, the information is there, but you're remembering it wrong.

As of the opening chapters of The Last Command (pages 30-31), Talon Karrde was certain that it required an absolute minimum of 1 year to grow a clone, and that with a greatly increased risk of mental instability. 3-5 years was more the norm. It wasn't until much later in the book that Leia put the pieces together.

Quote:
Granted it wasn't common knowledge, but that doesn't mean it wasn't known about.

I'd make it a moderate streetwise or law enforcement roll to know that Jedi avoided Myrkr, but a very difficult roll to know why.

I think you're low-balling the numbers here. Karrde and Thrawn are arguably two of the most knowledgeable people in the galaxy, and it took Thrawn's personal experience with Force users (which we are slowly finding more and more about in the new EU) to put the pieces together about ysalamiri and cloning.

And it's highly unlikely that the Emperor would be free with information about Myrkr and the Ysalamiri; the last thing he'd want is someone using them against him.

So far, in the new canon, the only official hint of Ysalamiri was an easter egg in the Rebels series, where Thrawn has a sculpture of a Ysalamiri in his office aboard the Chimaera. It's never identified as such, and is more of a nod to the old canon.

If you're looking for some other options, I've come up with a couple. The first is an Advanced Skill I called Mindshadow, which is a mental discipline that allows a non-FS character to partially conceal themselves from the Force (the Advanced Skill dice is applied as a Difficulty modifier against Force powers rolled against the character).

The other is a crossover from Warhammer 40,000. Called the Aegis Hood in the 40K-verse, it both amplified the wearer's psychic powers and enhanced his psychic defenses. For my crossover, I made it a purely defensive device wired into a helmet, providing a +4D against Force powers used against the wearer.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Like these guys?

Very much so. In fact, I could easily see a Space Marine crossover as elite anti-Force user troops. Give them enhanced physiology and mental training, put them enhanced power armor with weapons that can stand up to a lightsaber, complete with physical defenses like my Mind Hood concept, and you have a creature more than capable of standing up to most Jedi.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a royal guard would be a fair match to most not too powerful jedi up to and including knights.
5D dex is massive.

Now if one is looking for less "powerful" but still force users and non guards, then the darkside guide has two templates, typical inquisitor and typical executor (not to be confused with Vader's "rank")
Killing, taking a jedi is actually not too hard, but requires a tough guy, like Cad Bane, Boba Fett and others.

Everyone say Jedi as if it is god, while but a handful was so powerful they were beyond the well trained enemy, most fell "easily" to a well trained enemy, force user or not
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Like these guys?

Very much so. In fact, I could easily see a Space Marine crossover as elite anti-Force user troops. Give them enhanced physiology and mental training, put them enhanced power armor with weapons that can stand up to a lightsaber, complete with physical defenses like my Mind Hood concept, and you have a creature more than capable of standing up to most Jedi.

Its a 40k Inquisitor..
Also the flamer on the forearm should be hard to parry..

Back to the OP I had lower level inquisitors as non force-users going after weak force users.. Real Jedis being reserved for High Inquisitors like Tremayne.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Back to the OP I had lower level inquisitors as non force-users going after weak force users.. Real Jedis being reserved for High Inquisitors like Tremayne.

Hell, even master Windu jumped away from one, rather than tried to parry it in ATOC..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Like these guys?

Grey Knight, now in motion..
https://youtu.be/JjaYW5Cnr5k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: