The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hasty repair - "Hold it together, baby"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Hasty repair - "Hold it together, baby"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Hasty repair - "Hold it together, baby" Reply with quote

I was discussing this a bit in another thread, and tried to make some house rules for "patching things up in a hurry" rules. The main point (for me), is to give a tech-savy character a chance to be useful in combat situations.
This is a first draft, so feel free to make suggestions/critique Smile

Patch-up repair

Use relevant Repair skill. Sometimes you need to fix things in a hurry, for example during combat. These rules reflect the tech doing whatever he can to keep the equipment running just a little bit longer, even if it's just with duct tape and chewing gum. This kind of thing is short term only.

Damage result_________Time used_____Difficulty

Ionized________________1 round_______Difficult*
Lightly damaged________1 round________Difficult
Heavily damaged______ 2 rounds______Very difficult
Severely damaged______4 rounds_______Heroic
Catastrophic/Destroyed___N/A___________N/A

*Fixing ionized controls means messing with the electrical system. Failure gives the tech 3D electrical damage

A successful roll lowers the damage 1 level. The repair lasts for [Technical attribute roll] rounds. The damage level goes then back up again.

Every successful attempt increases the difficulty for a proper repair with +10. Complications increases cost by 10% (cumulative)

-----------------------------------
I made the difficulties fairly high, I don't think this is something every character should have a fair chance of doing. I also made the "ionized" a bit dangerous, because I like that damage result, and it sorts it self out eventually anyway.

Not sure about that duration roll, initially I wrote "until end of combat". But if it can break "any time soon" that's more drama, right?

Tried to keep the number chruncing and dice rolls to a minium. It's a little bit of calculation after for the proper repairs, but it's easier to do that when not in a busy combat situation.

I was also pondering if the damage level should have a risk of going up an additional level when the patch stops working, but it became to complicated/too many dice rolls (at least for me)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about treat it like using your Str attribute to try and Naturally heal.. If you roll TOO poorly, you worsen yourself.
So using your figures of diff/diff/v.diff/heroic.. Say if you get 6 or under/6 or under/11 or under/16 or under, you worsen the ship's condition.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that could work. Not sure by how much you'd have to fail, I don't want to make it too dangerous to attempt either.

Either that, or you only get one attempt per damaged system. A failure indicates that the damage cannot be repaired without proper tools and spare parts. That was my original thought, that's why only successful attempts increases difficulty on later repairs.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to playtest it soon. I'll probably introduce your idea if the patch repairs work too well.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with "fail with a complication" as the "it gets worse" threshhold.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Yeah, that could work. Not sure by how much you'd have to fail, I don't want to make it too dangerous to attempt either.

Generally 1/2 the result or lower, or 10 and lower seems to be a good threshhold.. So for the difficults (16-20), anything 8 or under.. 10 and under for v/diff, and 15 for heroic..

Straxus wrote:
YEither that, or you only get one attempt per damaged system. A failure indicates that the damage cannot be repaired without proper tools and spare parts. That was my original thought, that's why only successful attempts increases difficulty on later repairs.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to playtest it soon. I'll probably introduce your idea if the patch repairs work too well.

That seems more reasonable.. You get one chance only, to do a field repair per system, otherwise you can't and must get to a proper repair shop..
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always based the difficulty off how much performance your trying to restore.

+1 Difficult
+2 Very Difficult
+1d Heroic

A roll of 1 on the wild die triggers an automatic complication of the repair giving out.

EDIT: See Jury-Rigging: Improper Repairs...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: