The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Did Mon Mothma know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Did Mon Mothma know? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm not trying to change your opinion. I concede that Willpower is different than both the physical awareness and social awareness skills of Perception, and I always encourage all GMs to do whatever works for them.

I'm just explaining that (1) I feel Perception is slightly more relevant to Willpower than Knowledge, (2) I'm not as worried about the importance of Perception being unbalanced with Knowledge in my system because I as a GM make Knowledge important (GMs are the ultimate balancing factor), and (3) low attribute values and specific skill allocations allow for the "realism" of characters to be good at certain areas of skills and not others in the same attribute. It is not unrealistic for there to also be characters who are good at physical awareness, social awareness, and Willpower. Because all options are still possible in my game, I don't feel the need to disassociate physical awareness from social awareness (or Willpower from both).

I realize that this discussion is mostly just food for thought for other GMs reading this, most of whom are lurkers.

And since I don't get to play much, it's all theoretical for me, anyway.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm just explaining...
Understood.

MrNexx wrote:
Crying or Very sad
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm not trying to change your opinion. I concede that Willpower is different than both the physical awareness and social awareness skills of Perception, and I always encourage all GMs to do whatever works for them.

I'm just explaining that (1) I feel Perception is slightly more relevant to Willpower than Knowledge, (2) I'm not as worried about the importance of Perception being unbalanced with Knowledge in my system because I as a GM make Knowledge important (GMs are the ultimate balancing factor), and (3) low attribute values and specific skill allocations allow for the "realism" of characters to be good at certain areas of skills and not others in the same attribute. It is not unrealistic for there to also be characters who are good at physical awareness, social awareness, and Willpower. Because all options are still possible in my game, I don't feel the need to disassociate physical awareness from social awareness (or Willpower from both).

I realize that this discussion is mostly just food for thought for other GMs reading this, most of whom are lurkers.

Same here. I only bought the game materials a few months ago, and have just leafed through a bunch of the books and speculated on here. I've literally never played a tabletop session in any game (tried playing AD&D 1E once or twice when I was, like, 12, with the 10 year old kid who lived on my block, but I had to DM, and I didn't know what I was doing really, and he got bored fast). I'd love to get into this stuff more, but time is a factor for me (busy professional with an 18 month old kid, a hyperactive dog, and a wife with a similarly busy schedule), and finding a group seems difficult.

I have ideas for this or that kernel of a campaign in this or that setting or game system, but I don't want to just launch into GMing something when I don't know how to play as a player. Like, you should probably take acting lessons before you try to direct, ya know?

Most of my "experience" comes from reading rule books and playing CRPG versions of games (e.g., the old Gold Box games, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, that sort of thing). That and listening to a bunch of podcasts lately (both actual play and game system discussion).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I have ideas for this or that kernel of a campaign in this or that setting or game system, but I don't want to just launch into GMing something when I don't know how to play as a player. Like, you should probably take acting lessons before you try to direct, ya know?
Acting and directing skills appear to be only tangentially related. But as far as GMing goes don't sweat it. Those of us old enough to have started out in the beginning had to lear how to be the GM (only then it was called Dungeon Master) and how to play at the same time. Someone in every group had to be the first one running a campaign for other people. A friend of mine and I read the rules and each started running separate campaigns. We learned as we went along both on the players side and the GM side.

Start slow. Start easy. Realize you will make mistakes. Have fun.

As far as finding players there are various places online (MeetUp etc) to look for players. If you have a local game store that may be a place to look. You can sometimes find people doing text-based play over the Internet here on the forum. Or you can do what a lot of us do and ask friends and family who like Star Wars to give playing a try. Good luck! Very Happy

Oh yeah and welcome!
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
Acting and directing skills appear to be only tangentially related. But as far as GMing goes don't sweat it. Those of us old enough to have started out in the beginning had to lear how to be the GM (only then it was called Dungeon Master) and how to play at the same time. Someone in every group had to be the first one running a campaign for other people. A friend of mine and I read the rules and each started running separate campaigns. We learned as we went along both on the players side and the GM side.

Start slow. Start easy. Realize you will make mistakes. Have fun.

As far as finding players there are various places online (MeetUp etc) to look for players. If you have a local game store that may be a place to look. You can sometimes find people doing text-based play over the Internet here on the forum. Or you can do what a lot of us do and ask friends and family who like Star Wars to give playing a try. Good luck! Very Happy

Oh yeah and welcome!

Thanks! Re: acting/directing, they're related in the sense that I think you have to know what an actor goes through and how to communicate with them effectively to be a really good director. I guess you don't have to be an actor, but from my perspective, it'd help me to learn the game to play it first, and then referee it. Like, playing it would give me a solid understanding of the basic mechanics, whereas refereeing it would take my understanding to the next level.

Plus, you know, I just wanna play it too. Smile

A couple months ago someone posted about doing an online game here, and I volunteered to join in, but it looks like that never went anywhere. for now, I think that's probably my best option. Some game that is played for maybe a couple of hours at a clip on weekend evenings or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: