The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medpacs (and what irks me about them)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Medpacs (and what irks me about them) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Morphine doesn't actually heal anything. It just masks the pain.

Which is why I mentioned SW tech. The tech is there for a solution that is injected into a being--that works with most known beings and generally promotes health, like bacta that can be used on just about any injury. Cell regeneration or something like that.

And, it works, quick. Takes little Medical knowledge (maybe just for the dosage, which is why there is a skill requirement in some versions of the game).

Using morphine as an example, it doesn't take any medical knowledge. A morphine syrette is prepackaged with the correct dose 1/2 gram.

You take off the cap, insert the syrette, and squeeze the dose to inject it.

Then you "mark" the patient with something like M - 19:55 so medical personnel know what was administered and when to avoid overdoses.

You might be missing the point. The morphine example serves as a quick, one-size-fits-all aid to healing that is administered in one combat round.

That sold me on the medpac, the thinking being that the medpac must be something like that. Quick. Efficient. Can use in one combat round and useable on just about any alien.

The one combat round and the picture of the medpac doesn't add up.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
You might be missing the point. The morphine example serves as a quick, one-size-fits-all aid to healing that is administered in one combat round.

That sold me on the medpac, the thinking being that the medpac must be something like that. Quick. Efficient. Can use in one combat round and useable on just about any alien.

I admit that I'm making the assumption that the 1 combat round being referred to concerns medicines in syrettes, peel and apply bacta patches/bandages, etc.

https://i.imgsafe.org/cd/cda2415d7d.jpeg

https://i.imgsafe.org/cd/cda235a334.jpeg

and the one you originally posted

https://i.imgsafe.org/cd/cda2399044.png

A diagnostic scanner would be for more serious internal injuries, broken bones, etc which naturally take longer to treat.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
A diagnostic scanner would be for more serious internal injuries, broken bones, etc which naturally take longer to treat.

But, the rules don't read that way. It takes one combat round to use a medpac, no matter the severity of the wound.

You could say that the one combat round is needed after the medpac is prepped--which means you've diagnosed the wound, figured out what you need, pulled the correct items from the medpac, etc.

But, that's really just another way of saying that using a medpac takes longer than a combat round, against what the rules say.

The rules seem to indicate that a character can approach a downed foe, and once he gets there, pull the medpac from his belt and use it in one combat round. If this is true--how the medpac is intended to be used (and I think that it is)--then the medpac has to be something more along the lines of what I've been thinking: A slap-n-go injection of bacta serum or some such that enters the bloodstream and enhances healing.

The Medicine skill could be needed for the setting on the medpac--for the amount of bacta serum injected based on weight and species.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
My group was always of the mindset that the medpac was that it made you "good enough" to move to get some proper treatment.

Enough to return a person to combat capable, but they better see a doctor right after it otherwise they're risking serious problems.

Which unfortunately, the rules don't mimic.. As use of it heals up any wounds..

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I'm guessing, instead, that the madpac is a single hand-sized device that injects some bacta-based healing agent into the blood stream. Whenever someone is hurt, you don't need to diagnose. Just slap one of these puppies onto the character, and basic healing from within is enhanced to a certain degree.

But if medpacks are just that damn good, why even HAVE bacta tanks?

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It seems you are the one missing the point. Morphene doesn't heal anything. It is just a pain reliever.. ANd of course our only evidence of it, is use on fellow humans. So how is that an example of a 'one size fits all' MED PACK for all species?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rests on a few ideas, but they're ones that I think fit well in Star Wars.

The first idea is that most species have basically compatible biology. Bacta and kolto both affect most natural species about the same way; everyone can drink the same drinks and eat the same foods. It might not go so far as being able to reproduce or share blood, but there's a basic biological compatibility. Something like Mass Effect's turians and quarians, with their opposite turning DNA and the discompatibilities that arise from that don't seem to happen in Star Wars.

The second idea is that wounds can be quickly mitigated from getting worse... part of what a medpac does is reduce shock and its effects, moving you effectively down the injury scale. It prevents infection, reduces tearing, and gets healthy blood flow going where it needs to be.

When you combine these two ideas... basic compatibility and wound mitigation... medpacs make a degree of sense. They're still very much Healing Potions with a skill component, but they're not totally hand-wavy.

Why bacta tanks, if medkits are so good? Because damage that gets to "set" gets bad enough that it requires more treatmemt and, of course, plot damage.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I'm guessing, instead, that the madpac is a single hand-sized device that injects some bacta-based healing agent into the blood stream. Whenever someone is hurt, you don't need to diagnose. Just slap one of these puppies onto the character, and basic healing from within is enhanced to a certain degree.

But if medpacks are just that d*mn good, why even HAVE bacta tanks?

I didn't suggest a change in the rules. Medpacs still only heal as the rules say. Bacta Tanks heal as the rules say.

Quote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It seems you are the one missing the point. Morphene doesn't heal anything. It is just a pain reliever.. ANd of course our only evidence of it, is use on fellow humans. So how is that an example of a 'one size fits all' MED PACK for all species?

I'll spell it out.

It is a modern day, quick use healing agent in that it's a pain reliever. The Star Wars universe is much more high tech than our real universe. Therefore, it's not a stretch for me to think of the medpac as a quick use item, like a WWII Morphine tab, but in the high tech SW universe, instead of just a pain agent, the medpac is also a healing agent that works across most alien species lines.

As I said above--A bacta serum injected into the blood stream that acts quickly to quell pain and promote healing and regeneration.

It's a portable bacta tank-lite.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Watching that, it reinforced my conclusion above that a medpack must be some type of (probably bacta based) Star Wars tech healing agent that a person slaps on an injured being--a sort of one-size fits all wounds solution that aids and accelerates natural healing.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
it's a vestigial remnant from the original style of RPGs... the ubiquitous D&D healing potion.

Yep and yep.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

And yep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: