The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creatures and scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Creatures and scale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Creatures and scale Reply with quote

Shouldn't large (or small) creatures have scale mods?

Like rancor and star dragons?
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn't large (or small) creatures have scale mods?

Like rancor and star dragons?

If you want them to, then yes. Otherwise no...

On Smaller Creatures
There is no existing scale below character in SWRPG D6, you could put one in if you felt like it, but it would be a lot of work just deciding which creatures were in the new category. What physical size would you cut off at? For example, some small (by human standards) dogs, like a pitbull, are easily able to kill a person due to their power, how would you deal with such a creature? raise it's stats? how many other creatures would
need stat tweaks? What about weapons? would a Hold-out Blaster be in the smaller scale? This kind of seemingly simple rule change tends to cascade massively.

On Larger Creatures
Some existing creatures are actually different scale already, such as the Miner's Horror in Creatures of the Galaxy (starfighter), Lava Dragons from the Jedi Academy Sourcebook (speeder), Beldon & Velker (walker), Space Slug (up to capital) all from the Special Edition Trilogy Sourcebook. So there is precedent for larger scale creatures, but they are few and far between.

I wouldn't bother altering existing creature scales myself, but if you feel it is something you would want for your own games, go for it.

Everyone should tweak the base system for their own ends, just be mindful of cascading problems before starting.

Xain
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my games, i've often considered rancors and such to be speeder or even walker scale..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For creatures, I actually prefer using the scale system from OD6, it uses flat modifiers based on real world examples. So a Rancor which is approximately the size of a 1-story house would get +10 Scale modifier.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, size and scale are not always correlated. This may be more intricate than the OP cares for (and Xain covered it pretty good already).

When assigning a scale, I'd say to FIRST consider the overall value of the change for the campaign/adventure. It may not be worth a rules change for a one-off encounter, but as the PCs start dealing with larger scale creatures regularly, they will come up with solutions that imply the obvious scale difference, despite the lack of rules covering it.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing further reading. Most of the creatures I was thinking about seem to have the scale built in to the stats.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oes that include scale penalties for attacking/dodging a smaller scale opponent?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Oes that include scale penalties for attacking/dodging a smaller scale opponent?

Oops not really, but for damage and damage resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: