The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Which Edition?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Which Edition? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Help me Rancor Pit Forums you are my only hope! Those of you that have played First Edition and 2nd R&E or REUP which do you prefer? I have nitpicks about each.

First Edition: Droids seem limited and I have to take rules from Rules Companion for Capital Ships. I don't like the haste rules that the companion introduces either.

2nd R&E: The skill list seems to have exploded and I don't understand Skill Specializations. Lightsaber Combat. Scale rules seem a bit too drastic capital ship vs starfighter.

I know I can house rule and borrow from here and there but I was wondering what your opinions are.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
Help me Rancor Pit Forums you are my only hope! Those of you that have played First Edition and 2nd R&E or REUP which do you prefer? I have nitpicks about each.

First Edition: Droids seem limited and I have to take rules from Rules Companion for Capital Ships. I don't like the haste rules that the companion introduces either.

2nd R&E: The skill list seems to have exploded and I don't understand Skill Specializations. Lightsaber Combat. Scale rules seem a bit too drastic capital ship vs starfighter.

I know I can house rule and borrow from here and there but I was wondering what your opinions are.

First off, I want to say that I think all the editions of D6 Star Wars are EXCELLENT games. You can't go wrong no matter which you pick.

Each edition and version (there are five official versions, not counting the fan stuff):

First Edition

First Edition + Rules Upgrade

First Edition + Rules Companion

Second Edition

Second Edition Revised & Expanded

My preference is for the First Edition game--just the core rulebook. As for droids, I like that quick system in the book where I throw together a droid in seconds.

You can always add a more crunchy droid system to your 1E game, if that is the way you are leaning. Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids has a fairly in-depth system for creating and using droids. There's nothing to stop you from using the 1E Core Game and that book for your droids.

With First Edition, you'll roll less dice on average. You've got a shorter skill list. There are no Character Points, which add dice to the throw. There's no Wild Die, which can explode. There's no Specialization, which allows for higher skill levels. There's no variable difficulty. And, there's no Initiative throw--your first action doubles as your Initiative throw.

It's a quick, sleek, easy, fast system that really fits the swashbuckling hyper action of a Star Wars movie.

As you start to move towards newer versions, you add more restrictions and more throws to the game. Each of the newer versions adds more rules to the game.

A little bit is added to 1E with the Rules Updrade.

More is added to 1E with the Rules Companion.

When the game is revised, a lot is changed. Second edition has Character Points, Specialized skills, the exploding Wild Die. A roll for Initiative. A more complicated movement system. A more complicated combat round. A more complicated space combat procedure. Etc.

And, Second Edition R&E, it probably has the most rules out of any official edition of the game.

I would say that Second Edition is more like the games that most people are used to. It is more like a typical RPG.

1E is more like a rules lite version of an RPG.

So, it boils down to what you are looking for. I'd say that most people play some version of Second Edition. But, there's a decent sized group of us First Edition people out there who love the first edition of the game, just the way it is.

As specific questions, and we will answer to help you.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the Second Edition camp, the nice blue book with Vader on. Can't go wrong with Vader, after all. Though he does go on and on about sand.

I prefer Second Edition because of the revised skill system, and the revised ship stats. That's it. I'm not a fan of the Second Edition Revised & Expanded, simply because it was more difficult to find stuff I wanted to revisit in it (well, in my opinion).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go 2e R&E; I've got the books for it. I also like REUP, especially when I need a reference for how things have been done, and a broad amount of sample material in one place, but I use R&E when talking about RAW.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2E R&E.

------------------------

I enjoy specializations. They allow characters to further their skills at half the CP cost. If, at character creation, I made a human character with the maximum skill in blaster pistols:

4D Dex (Attribute)
6D Blaster (Skill)
7D Blaster Pistol (Specialization)

Then it only costs the me half the cost of the specialization (rounded up) to increase the specialization. In this case, I pay 4D and my blaster pistol skill goes up one pip to 7D+1. It allows me to advance my specializations to very high levels for low CP costs. But if I use a blaster rifle, I still roll my regular blaster skill.

---------------------------

I don't use a lot of force powers in my games, I'll let someone else tackle lightsaber combat.

---------------------------

In regards to scale, bear in mind that a small capital ship like the Corellian Corvette is 150m and an average starfighter, like the X-Wing, is 12.5m. The Corellian Corvette is over ten times longer than the X-Wing. That's just length. We're not accounting for width and height.

Even so a Corellian Corvette has a hull of 4D, cap scale. A starfighter scale proton torpedo does 9d starfighter damage or 3d cap ship damage. With +6D to hit from scale, and some decent rolls and an X-Wing can take out a Corvette.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Each edition and version (there are five official versions, not counting the fan stuff):

First Edition

First Edition + Rules Upgrade

First Edition + Rules Companion

Second Edition

Second Edition Revised & Expanded

I'm ok with leaving out derivative games based on these rules like Star Warriors, the miniature games and the LARP variations. But there is one WEG SW RPG edition you left out which deserves mention here, the Introductory Adventure Game. Seeing as how it is an R&E-era throwback to 1e in some ways, I thought you would like it. So there are six official edition variations of the WEG SW RPG. Here's how I define the editions, with abbreviations:

FIRST EDITION
1.0 First Edition (1e)
1.2 First Edition + Rules Upgrade (1eRU)
1.5 First Edition + Rules Companion (RC)

SECOND EDITION
2.0 Second Edition (2e)
2.5 Second Edition Revised & Expanded (R&E).
REUP really is just a slightly revised and greatly expanded version of R&E, so I don't think it really deserves its own edition designation. But I could see thinking of it as "2.6" maybe.

OTHER
1.9 Introductory Adventure Game (IAG) - Not really a 1e system game but "1.9" is meant to reflect that it includes innovations from 2e/R&E with some simplifications akin to the spirit of 1e. The downside to playing this edition is that there are no products produced for it beyond the original box set and minimal conversion guidelines - This product was clearly meant to be a gateway drug to R&E. (Although converting other products for use with the IAG would not be difficult if someone really wanted to do it.)
3.0 D6 Space - This game takes the Star Wars RPG R&E ruleset and further develops it into a functionally subsequent edition of the game stripped bare of all Star Wars setting and other IP. Game system-wise, this is the WEG SW/D6 Third Edition for all intents and purposes. The owner of WEG during the Purgatory Publishing era did play a Star Wars campaign using the D6 Space rules (which are generic to setting), so it has been done. The D6 Adventure and D6 Fantasy games are genre-reoriented spinoffs of D6 Space.

Alastor04 wrote:

Out of the officially published editions, none of them are really bad but I would have to go with R&E as the best overall.

But since 1988 I have always tinkered with the game. I'm now developing my own unofficial "alternate third edition" of the game, which is primarily based on R&E but has aspects of all of the editions I described above, with some inspirations from other games and my own innovations. You can tinker too. Don't feel obligated to using any one of these variations as-is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1e, because all I need is a lite game that covers all the bases and nails the flavor of the OT. I’m open (as always) to tinkering with the rules, incorporating stuff from the 1eRU or the IAG or pretty much any of the above, or from scratch; but, as a base rulebook, the 1e one does the trick.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But there is one WEG SW RPG edition you left out which deserves mention here, the Introductory Adventure Game.

Interesting comment, Whill. I never even think about that game as being part of the WEG line up. But, you're correct. It is a version of the rules.

I need to look through it. I've never given it much attention.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a side note, if you really wanna get into droids, I'm actually friends with Cynabar and can reach out to him if you want info. Not sure how current he is on the rules, but he's actually the one who alerted me to the FFG republishing of the 1e books.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
But there is one WEG SW RPG edition you left out which deserves mention here, the Introductory Adventure Game.

Interesting comment, Whill. I never even think about that game as being part of the WEG line up. But, you're correct. It is a version of the rules.

I need to look through it. I've never given it much attention.

After you do take a look at it, I'd be interested in hearing your reactions to it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to which edition of the game is best overall; that I must in good conscience leave to others more well versed in the matter than I. But as to which version appeals to me most, I'd have to say the REUP, with 2nd Ed R&E a very close second.

As for the Introductory Adventure Game, I can't speak to its stats, but the adventure included in it, Assault on Edan Base is a great adventure for new GMs to run if they need something to run for their players if they haven't managed to come up with new adventures yet. It's too bad that my GM didn't acquire this for our sessions. Considering that he was rubbish at writing adventure stories himself, he really could have used it....
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
After you do take a look at it, I'd be interested in hearing your reactions to it.

I gave it the once over. Like all of WEG stuff, its a good, solid game. I like it. I'm still sticking with 1E Core, but the Adventure Game rules are quite good--and even more "lite" than 1E.

The way the combat round is played--where each character can talk all of his actions all at one time, is the first way I played D6 Star Wars, back in 1987. I didn't like the Segment Breakout (now I do, as I've learned how to use it dramatically in a game).

I see that CPs are used, too.

One thing that stood out for me: The visual range display. That's FANTASTIC! Each edition of the game should have that on one page. It really puts the ranges in the mind's eye of the players.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
One thing that stood out for me: The visual range display. That's FANTASTIC! Each edition of the game should have that on one page. It really puts the ranges in the mind's eye of the players.

Yes, all weapons have the same four static ranges. Hold-out blasters can shoot as far as blaster rifles with the same difficulties. This simplification is quite ridiculous. Static ranges makes a lot of sense if there are more than 4 ranges and different weapons have different range increments and difficulties.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Edition? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Yes, all weapons have the same four static ranges. Hold-out blasters can shoot as far as blaster rifles with the same difficulties. This simplification is quite ridiculous. Static ranges makes a lot of sense if there are more than 4 ranges and different weapons have different range increments and difficulties.

I've seen it work nicely in other RPGs. Classic Traveller, for example. Ranges are all the same, but you give modifiers to weapons.

I think the game is easier to play that way--when the ranges are all static, and weapons provide adjustments. It's a lot easier than having one weapon at Short Range and one weapon at Medium Range while firing at the same target.
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Second Edition Revised and Expanded do better than First Edition? Most of the stats I see seem to be written for Second Edition, if I play First Edition is there any problem converting them down to 1st?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: