The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Didn't I post this yesterday in the Rancor Pit section? It looks like my post got nuked.

Yes. There were 6 separate threads posted here about it yesterday. I thought that was unnecessarily confusing. Unfortunately this site doesn't give us the option to merge threads, so it just got deleted. Sorry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
There was a lawsuit between WEG and Lucasfilm about who owns the system. WEG used it for Ghostbusters in 1986, so they own the D6 system which is currently operating on an open license. The books belong to Lucasfilm.

So yeah, if Disney wants to publish the D6 RPG again, they are good to go.

I would consider Ghostbusters 1e to be "proto-D6". The first formal D6 game (although not known as such at the time) would be Star Wars 1e.

To get technical, the outcome of the lawsuit was that roleplaying game mechanics themselves cannot be copyrighted, only the text describing them (like many other kinds of published texts). No, Star Wars RPG game mechanics weren't directly released to the OGL, but Star Wars 1e game mechanics are very similar to Open D6 text in a lot of cases. However, being open, there's no hinderance there because anyone can publish D6 game mechanics. Any rules text that is far enough away from Open D6 to not be included in Open D6 is owned by Lucasfilm, the copyright holder of the books, so again, no issues there.

FFG is the current exclusive Star Wars game license holder. Lucasfilm can allow the books to be republished, and by rights the only company that could publish it right now is FFG. Nocturnal Media owns the West End Games publishing imprint, so perhaps Nocturnal Media needed to get paid a fee for this reprint. I don't think they are overflowing with cash so of course they are going to accept it. And if Lucasfilm retained reprint rights or something and Nocturnal Media didn't need paid, this publicity certainly won't hurt them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I think legally this opens the door for additional SWD6 OGL content which can be released on such things as DriveThru RPG and actually get paid for.

Being the exclusive games license holder, FFG could at any time release SW D6 OGL content with Lucasfilm's approval. But they are heavily invested in their own SW RPG and selling SW D6 material would be competing with themselves, so don't hold your breath for two simultaneous game lines.

MrNexx wrote:
To be briefly paranoid, could this bring unwanted legal attention to this site? Now, no one really has much to lose for us sitting around talking about a 30 year old game. If this comes out and does well... we're a combination of "the best place to talk" and "distraction from FFG's efforts."

I don't think so. The bottom of the FFG news release and product pages state, "The Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition is being made available as a collectible piece of Star Wars history, intended to stand alone." A lot of us here are going to be paying customers of the reprint, and we aren't doing anything to distract from FFG's effort. While we do create and discuss fan products based on the WEG game, it is official policy to not discuss or refer to digital bootlegs of officially published works (including the 1e core and sourcebook being reprinted). I think the reprint set will sell out fast.

My pipe dream is that they make a such killing off this reprint that when their current RPG winds down, they decide to take the SW RPG back to D6. Lucasfilm may not want their IP to mix with an open game system so it may be moot. It probably won't happen, but if it does then I'm sure we'll weather the changes here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
To be briefly paranoid, could this bring unwanted legal attention to this site? Now, no one really has much to lose for us sitting around talking about a 30 year old game. If this comes out and does well... we're a combination of "the best place to talk" and "distraction from FFG's efforts."

I don't think there's much in the way of legal attention that we'd suffer from. In terms of respecting IP, our policies are that we don't have any links to or discussion of pirated materials. So, we're clean in that respect.

There are some license holders that are so persnickety that they don't allow any forums outside of the parent company, but neither FFG nor LFL nor Disney have enforced such draconian policies in the past. So, we're clear in that respect to.

I doubt that we'd be worth the human resources to write the C&D to shut us down.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My pipe dream is that they make a such killing off this reprint that when their current RPG winds down, they decide to take the SW RPG back to D6.

How can we coordinate to help make this happen?

Help spread the news and enthusiasm; get all our friends to buy it.

If there were ONE more book (in addition to the two that are being reprinted) that we could all agree we would like to see reprinted next, what would it be? Once we agree, we can lobby in unison for it.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My pipe dream is that they make a such killing off this reprint that when their current RPG winds down, they decide to take the SW RPG back to D6.

May the Force Be With Us!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: [FFG] Star Wars: The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition Reply with quote

I already put in a pre-order at my FLGS. I had considered putting in a pre-order with FFG directly so they make the most money off my purchase, but the $13.46 shipping fee reminded me that I should support my FLGS.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That would be awesome. Not that it would change much for me, I already play this system with the people I play with. But I'd like to see official stats, with the caveat that they keep things consistent.

Specifically in cost of items, and ship stats, especially starfighter stats between the trilogies.

But yeah. It would be awesome.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:

How can we coordinate to help make this happen?

Help spread the news and enthusiasm; get all our friends to buy it.

If there were ONE more book (in addition to the two that are being reprinted) that we could all agree we would like to see reprinted next, what would it be? Once we agree, we can lobby in unison for it.

I'm not sure it would tip the scales, but if you join and login to FFG's forums, you can see a LOT of love for D6 in their new 30th Anniversary forums. Participate in the discussion, and let them see the consumer enthusiasm growing.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Not that it would change much for me, I already play this system with the people I play with.

So true. The lack of an official D6 Star Wars game hasn't in any way stopped me from playing it. But a sad reality I have run into with gamers is that, by and large, they are easily distracted by the latest, flashiest RPGs. Grognards like me don't understand this need they have to be "current" in gaming. Why not play the best game over the most recent, you know?

Kytross wrote:
But I'd like to see official stats, with the caveat that they keep things consistent.

Specifically in cost of items, and ship stats, especially starfighter stats between the trilogies.

Consistency in stats would be a whole other pip dream, because even when the WEG SW game was being published there was an absolute lack of stat consistency. Even in my pipe dream of SW D6 coming back, I dare not dream as much as you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Consistency in stats would be a whole other pip dream, because even when the WEG SW game was being published there was an absolute lack of stat consistency. Even in my pipe dream of SW D6 coming back, I dare not dream as much as you!

I never noticed that in all my years playing D6 SW. What's the worst offense, in your opinion?
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news!!! It's awesome to see love for the original game!!!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those new to 1E Star Wars, there is one piece of errata that you'll want to know. The WEG books were actually edited and previewed well. There is little errata for the game--no where near what you have for most games.

One big one though, that is easily remedied, is that, for Astrogation, the 1E book and charts refer to the 1 day unit. It should be a 1 hour unit. So, if a trip takes 3 days, it really should take 3 hours.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first page of the Sourcebook has a title crawl similar to those at the start of the films. It says....

Quote:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

A great Rebellion burns across the vast
reaches of space. It is a Rebellion against
tyranny, against oppression, against the evil
monster which the Empire has become.

In the Rebellion, a pitifully few valiant men,
women and aliens, known as the Alliance, wage
a desperate war against the overwhelming armies
and ships of the Emperor, ruler of a thousand-
thousand worlds. Outnumbered and outgunned, the
Rebels fight on, with only their great courage--and
the mystical power known as the Force--offering even
the slimmest chance of victory.

This is the galaxy of the Rebellion. It is a galaxy of
wonderous aliens, bizarre monsters, strange Droids,
powerful weapons, great heroes, and terrible villains. It is
a galaxy of fantastic worlds, magical devices, vast fleets,
awesome machinery, terrible conflict, and unending hope.

This is the galaxy of STAR WARS!

I loved it when I first read it, and I love it today. I've used it before, in my games. At the start of a new campaign, I'd print this out, all doctored up to look like the title scrawl on a movie, and hand it to my players.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still remember reading that crawl on the October 1987 day I discovered the existence of this game and bought the two books. Love it!

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
For those new to 1E Star Wars, there is one piece of errata that you'll want to know. The WEG books were actually edited and previewed well. There is little errata for the game--no where near what you have for most games.

One big one though, that is easily remedied, is that, for Astrogation, the 1E book and charts refer to the 1 day unit. It should be a 1 hour unit. So, if a trip takes 3 days, it really should take 3 hours.

Good idea to mention this.

Not to split Wookiee hairs, but an erratum is an unintentional error. Throughout the 1e core book, every single reference to the gazetteer's duration numbers was in days. And in the 1988 Campaign Pack, there was a reference to the first film's hyperspace voyage from Tatooine to Alderaan taking 7 days, so it wasn't even just one book. When the 1989 Rules Companion said to update the chart from days to hours, it wasn't correcting an unintentional mistake. It was an official rules update (and when the 2e Classic Campaigns later republished the Campaign Pack material, it did update the sentence with the Falcon's hyperspace duration from 7 days to 7 hours).

I recently read a social media conversation which pointed out that there are several GMs that prefer the longer travel times despite film evidence. Faster travel times better reflect the films, but back then in the early days of 1e before the RC, I made my own astrogation charts that were in days but I actually never had any in-adventure hyperspace jumps which started and ended with systems on the game's chart (which were mostly film systems). Most jumps were to and from original outer rim systems which could have had long travel times, but occasionally there were jumps from an original system to a film system and vice versa, which are still off the book chart. Some of my campaigns focused on original (or mostly original) outer rim sectors, but there were episodic campaigns which never made the same jump twice in-game, so travel times really didn't matter much. Ultimately the rules change never really effected my campaigns, but I do tend to have faster travel times nowadays.

Anyway, back to your point about 1e, if you are strict out-of-the-book 1e core for your game system, your travel times would be in days. However I would recommend using the updated rule of having them be in hours regardless of game version you are using, but whatever floats your sail barge.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: