The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tale Spin - SW Spinoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Tale Spin - SW Spinoff Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Here's a few ideas:

- Cape Suzette is a moon of a gas giant. The gas giant's mass shadow forces everyone out of hyperspace a long distance from Cape Suzette, making sure every ship has a long realspace journey to the planet. Pirates can't sneak up on Cape Suzette. There are Golan battlestations surrounding the planet so any pirate attempting to raid Cape Suzette has to make it past her heavy defenses.

I am trying to recreate the natural protection the cliffs provided Cape Suzette via the gravity of a gas giant.

- Louie's is a small refueling space station with a hyperspace beacon.

- Thembria is an ice world intent on conquering the nearby star systems.

Let me know what you think.

Personally, I'd put Louie's out at a La Grange point for the Suzette planetary system ("Cape Suzette" being the inhabitable moon)... close enough to Cape Suzette for most orbital positions that it's a convenient place for those who don't want to go deeper into the gravity well, but far enough away to be semi-independent.

You might also make it so Cape Suzette is in an asteroid field, similar to Peragus in KOTOR II... you can make it through no problem if you have the asteroid drift charts, which Cape Suzette can send you, but you won't make it through without them (without the force on your side)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Here's a few ideas:

- Cape Suzette is a moon of a gas giant. The gas giant's mass shadow forces everyone out of hyperspace a long distance from Cape Suzette, making sure every ship has a long realspace journey to the planet. Pirates can't sneak up on Cape Suzette. There are Golan battlestations surrounding the planet so any pirate attempting to raid Cape Suzette has to make it past her heavy defenses.

I am trying to recreate the natural protection the cliffs provided Cape Suzette via the gravity of a gas giant.

- Louie's is a small refueling space station with a hyperspace beacon.

- Thembria is an ice world intent on conquering the nearby star systems.

Let me know what you think.

Very cool!

You could also have it surrounded by some sort of phenomenon like a nebula or whatever that blocks hyperspace travel.

Or, perhaps it's an area of space that has lots of stray asteroids that would destroy a ship in hyperspace heading up to the moon.

Or perhaps it has all of the above.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of Golan stations I'd go with the Muunilist Shipyards Munastic-class Mobile Defense Platforms, or stations like the StarForge Asteroid-based space station for defending Cape Suzette and any "safe" hyperspace jump points into their system.

Thus forcing pirates and smugglers to use the more riskier routes.

I was also thinking of what kind of piloted fighters Karnage might use to replace an ever dwindling number of droid fighters.

Personally I think he'd be using more Old Republic/CIS era fighters and uglies than newer fighters. Saving the newer ships for his "Aces".

Karnage also needs a secret base where he can do maintenance/repairs and modifications on the Iron Vulture. I'm thinking due to the size of the Iron Vulture an abandoned/forgotten secret space station or asteroid base designed to dock capital ships from the last war between Usland and Thembria.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like suzette should be useing things like Z-95's and ARC-170's while Karnage has uglies and stolen TIE Fighters....heck depending on when its 'set' he could have also just put a prey bird or small TIE assembly line aboard the vulture.

my other suggestion for the non ace pilots ? brainless Vulture droids with the pilots in life support suits in the head but then i am always trying to push that idea because its neat in my head.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
my other suggestion for the non ace pilots ? brainless Vulture droids with the pilots in life support suits in the head but then i am always trying to push that idea because its neat in my head.
Hmmm...that gives me an idea for a scenario. Someone wants to acquire a bunch of decommissioned and mothballed Vulture droids. Eliminating the brains means that PCs get to fly the ships. 8)
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the Vulture droid fighters the ones that have a walker form? The cockpit is actually the droids head?

So would replacing the droid head with a cockpit that could fit a human mean it couldn't have a walker form anymore?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Aren't the Vulture droid fighters the ones that have a walker form? The cockpit is actually the droids head?
Yes.

Quote:
So would replacing the droid head with a cockpit that could fit a human mean it couldn't have a walker form anymore?
Maybe. But if it did, that would be a shame. We may need very small pilots.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugnaut pilots?
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Maybe. But if it did, that would be a shame. We may need very small pilots.

It may be possible to have a human size cockpit to replace the droid head. The smallest piloted plane built and flown was 8.825 ft length and 5'6 foot wingspan.

I just don't know could be done as a modification or a new craft built from scratch.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cockpit would end up being saddle style i think and given the right mods it could still transform....i'd have to look at the size again - but you arent puting in life support and i suspect a lot of the HUD stuff could be fed to the helmet. it was mostly a silly museing - what would the alternative be fighter wise ?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been digging through some of the ship compendiums trying to find interesting looking fighters that are somewhat out of the norm for typical games or have the old airplane look to them. I've come up with a few options, he may have a mixture of some or all of these:

P38
Naboo G1 Fighter
M3-A Scyk Fighter
Dunelizard Fighter
Belbullab-22
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fighter choices. All in the right time period if the scenario is set during the Original Trilogy.

I'm working under the assumption that Cape Suzette is quite a distance from the core, and possibly not part of the Republic/Empire. I imagine Cape Suzette as the richest system in the sector, able to afford good defenses. I would also assume that Don Karnage's forces would be filled with used ships, some from direct salvage, or prizes, from Don Karnage's victims or salvaged from the Clone Wars.

Does that make sense to everyone?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, do we know what commodity Cape Suzette has which has lead to this financial success?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting pretty close to Outlaw Tech territory, I'd say.

In the case of Khan Industries, they're heavy in transporting and manufacturing and later on expanded into other areas. Quoting the wiki, "Shere Khan aggressively pursued natural resources and mining operations through the Khan Enterprises division. He also launched expensive research and development projects concentrating primarily on aircraft design, electronics, and alternative energy sources. Many of these endeavors resulted in breakthrough achievements, most notably the Sub-Electron Amplifier project which unfortunately ended in a fiasco involving Air Pirates, an attack on Cape Suzette, and a devastating weapon known as the "lightning gun" powered by the stolen amplifier. Another widely-publicized debacle was the infamous "Auto-Aviator" incident, a short-lived business deal which nearly crippled the commercial aviation industry."

Adding to that, "Others in corporate circles despise Khan's ruthlessness and bloodthirsty competitive streak. There are also those convinced that several of Shere Khan's assorted business ventures are not aboveboard, citing persistent rumors of illicit negotiations between Khan and the Air Pirates (in connection to a citywide fuel shortage/rate hike) as grounds for police investigation."

The way I see it, Khan Industries can be considered something like Holowan Laboratories or perhaps Sienar Fleet Systems. Their interest in novel designs and sources of energy smacks of Advanced Weapons Research, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Weapons_Research . I wouldn't hesitate throwing stuff like the Teezl into the mix there. Khan Industries might have a deal with the New Order similar to what the Corporate Sector has.

Also, of course, there needs to be an important hyperspace juncture around there, perhaps connecting to the Hydian Way or something like that.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Shere-khan an oddly calm and competent Togorian or a Bothan ? as for what the company produces.....would 'yes' be a viable answer ? droids, star fighters, house wares, personal arms and armor.

on the fighter aspect for Karnage i'd go with the Scyk and Dune Lizard, they could get them from Mandal Motors or hijack them other criminals. while Karnage and his elite pilots could use the Kihraxz or other higher end fighters - also easily acquired from other criminals or from the company that produces them.

If its off a spur of they Hydian way....why not put Louies in the system thats on the way and then have thembria on the other side of Louies from Suzette.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: