The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Moving Skills Around
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Moving Skills Around Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EchoDark
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a LOOONG time lurker here, but I felt the need to chime in.

I'm seeing a lot of split hairs in this conversation. My viewpoint in playing the game since 1987 is that movie action rules the day. The difference between a blaster and a REAL pistol? Doesn't matter. The difference in a lightsaber and a REAL sword? Again it doesn't matter. The actors portrayed using blasters and sabers as if wielding a real pistol and sword because it's what they knew.

I divorced my skill list (and it's a SHORT skill list) from attributes altogether. my players pair the skill with whatever attribute that seems most appropriate. There are skills that this will never work, but many of the discussions in this thread helps support my decision.

A game of Star Wars, I feel, shouldn't be bogged down in minutia. Roll and go. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit.
EchoDark wrote:
The actors portrayed using blasters and sabers as if wielding a real pistol and sword because it's what they knew.

And yet, because the weapons are used in the manner in which they are seen to be used on screen, what we see is the reality of those weapons. Trying to pass it off as artistic choices by actors or mistakes in FX and/or editing is basically just metagaming.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
EchoDark
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Welcome to the Pit.

Thanks.

CRMcNeill wrote:
And yet, because the weapons are used in the manner in which they are seen to be used on screen, what we see is the reality of those weapons. Trying to pass it off as artistic choices by actors or mistakes in FX and/or editing is basically just metagaming.

I'm not arguing that one should forget/drop everything that makes the game a good one for them. I meant only to express my opinion on the matter. I dislike anytime a conversation devolves into argument over small things within a game.

Now I will take a step back and say that, at first, I viewed this conversation as I would had I been at the game table. In retrospect, within this forum, I can see weighing the pros and cons of such discussions better.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty good at first aid IRL, and that is because of my Knowledge, not Technical attribute (My Tech is very poor, I'm afraid). That's my reasoning for moving First Aid to Knowledge.

I also put Astrogation there, in an attempt to make KNO-heavy characters more useful in space and combat situations, and KNO more attractive in general.

Re firearms/blasters I do the same as I do with the various piloting skills: I keep the skills as is (this makes it easier for players if they look up things in the rules by themselves), but they can default to similar skills with a small penalty when appropriate (determined by me). So you can shoot a firearm with your Blaster skill (perhaps at +2 difficulty), and fly a freighter with your Starfighter skill at +5 difficulty. For example.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
I'm pretty good at first aid IRL, and that is because of my Knowledge, not Technical attribute (My Tech is very poor, I'm afraid). That's my reasoning for moving First Aid to Knowledge.

I also put Astrogation there, in an attempt to make KNO-heavy characters more useful in space and combat situations, and KNO more attractive in general.

Re firearms/blasters I do the same as I do with the various piloting skills: I keep the skills as is (this makes it easier for players if they look up things in the rules by themselves), but they can default to similar skills with a small penalty when appropriate (determined by me). So you can shoot a firearm with your Blaster skill (perhaps at +2 difficulty), and fly a freighter with your Starfighter skill at +5 difficulty. For example.

I like the idea of defaulting to related skills instead of attributes, though haven't played with rules to codify it, yet.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the idea from GURPS, and I think it just makes sense that when you're skilled at something, it's easier to do something similar. I know how to play guitar, so playing any kind of fretted string instrument (bass, mandolin) is a lot easier than say, a saxophone or a cello.

I also like that the players don't really have to think about it much, it's just I that has to figure out some reasonable difficulty penalties. Which as a GM you're expected to do in Star Wars anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: