The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Control pain and LS Combat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Control pain and LS Combat?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Control pain and LS Combat? Reply with quote

By the write up for Control pain, it says you can act as if you are unwounded.. SO if you have control pain up, take a wound (which CP ignores) but you also have LS combat up, does that then mean you do NOT drop LS combat cause of taking that wound??
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that all "up" force powers are dropped when you become wounded (so an already "up" control pain would be dropped). Also, control pain is usually activated after being wounded (since keeping it "up" imposes a MAP).

In this case, I would rule that any new damage would require a new control pain roll.

If you look at the description for control pain, you'll note that the example given is triggered by an "incapacitated" result, which prompts the character to first make a remain conscious roll, and then next round, the control pain roll to ignore the effects of the damage.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Also, control pain is usually activated after being wounded (since keeping it "up" imposes a MAP).
Which is equivalent to the penalty for being wounded. Though I assumed that even though the MAPs were the same either way, from the character's POV having Control Pain up was more comfortable than not having it up. So characters would put up Control Pain when wounded.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key is "act as though you are not wounded." As in, you can keep Lightsaber Combat (and any other FPs currently active) "up" on a successful CP roll (subject to MAPs, as appropriate), but if you fail the CP roll, you are wounded and Force Powers drop accordingly

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you have it up, you need to make a new CP roll after you get wounded?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if you have it up, you need to make a new CP roll after you get wounded?
My reading is that you aren't going to put Control Pain up until you have pain to control. Once you are in pain, i.e. wounded or some other reason for pain, then you get one chance to put Control Pain up. If you succeed, you don't lose powers that were already up, like Lightsaber Combat. If you fail, then normal wound effects (e.g. you powers that were up drop, you fall down, etc.) apply.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't you though, need to have an action Saved to try to activate CP AS You get wounded? otherwise your getting wounded, should still automatically drop LS combat or any other kept up powers..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not seem to be the intent of the power. It seems as though the power is meant to function similarly to a reaction skill (in that you can choose to use it immediately upon meeting the conditions that would trigger it... such as taking damage).

The way that I intuit the power, though, seems to be a bit different than the others who have posted. I feel that the power requires conscientious intent to activate, and therefore, the effects of the wound are applied, and then the power may be activated (albeit otherwise instantaneously).

Seems like it would be GM's call on that point, if the rules are vague enough to seem to allow for either interpretation.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The way that I intuit the power, though, seems to be a bit different than the others who have posted. I feel that the power requires conscientious intent to activate, and therefore, the effects of the wound are applied, and then the power may be activated (albeit otherwise instantaneously).
I looked up my old write up of Control Pain which I modified it to temporarily eliminate the oddity of Control Pain's mechanical benefit when wounded being offset by the MAPs penalty for keeping the power up.

Bren's House Rule wrote:
Control Pain
Control Difficulty: Very Easy for wounded or stunned characters, Easy for incapacitated characters, Difficult for mortally wounded characters.
Whenever the character is injured again, the Jedi must make a new control pain roll, with the difficulty being the new level of injury.

This power can does not need to be kept "up." It lasts for a number of minutes equal to the Control roll of the Force user. After this the Jedi may choose to keep the power up, but it now costs the normal action penalty. If the power is dropped, the effected character suffers pain and penalties normally.

Effect: A wounded Jedi who controls pain can act as if he has not been wounded starting after the power roll has been made. The wound is not healed, but the character doesn't suffer the penalties of being wounded; a wounded Jedi doesn't lose 1D from all actions; an incapacitated character can still act normally, as can a mortally wounded character. This power can be used to shrug off any stun results.
However, the character is still injured, and thus is prone to getting worse, even if the Jedi doesn't feel the pain. For example, a wounded character who is wounded again would still become incapacitated. Mortally wounded Jedi still have to make the same rolls as other mortally wounded characters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I'd take it further than the WEG scenario, and not require a Remain Conscious roll on Incapacitated or Mortally Wounded. If the idea of this power is to preempt the immediate effects of a wound, that would (or should) include the effect of being knocked unconscious (which is a result of getting wounded in the first place).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: