The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Track your comm signal"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> "Track your comm signal"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: "Track your comm signal" Reply with quote

Your player has just said this to another character. What do you require them to have in terms of equipment? What do you require them to roll?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little context would help on the situation. Is there some reason the character can't just tell their friend where they are rather than needing their com signal tracked?

But if tracking needs to be done, I'd want gear better than a simple comlink, e.g. a full communications suite on a ship or other vehicle, alternatively ship or other sensors, or possibly an R2 unit if the detection range is not too long.

Depending on the circumstances (e.g. continuous broadcasting, no jamming or other interference, well inside comm range) no roll may be required or a roll may only be needed to determine how long it takes to track their signal. If a roll is needed or desired then I'd want a communications roll or alternatively a sensors roll.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No context because it's an abstract question... I was watching Clone Wars, and in this case, the characters were in contact, but they didn't really know where they were, much less the other person.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
No context because it's an abstract question... I was watching Clone Wars, and in this case, the characters were in contact, but they didn't really know where they were, much less the other person.
    * I assume that on civilized planets even a civilian comlink can tell you where you are via global positioning, locator beacons, satellite bounceback, in-built compass, downloading a map, or some such.
    * If those devices are being jammed, I'd question whether they could communicate at all.
    * If those devices don't exist on the planet in question and the characters are lost, and they can't describe recognizable landmarks to each other, see my original answer.
    * In addition, somewhere in one or more of the various equipment lists locator beacons and tracking devices are mentioned. Those might provide some guidelines for what to roll or the difficulty.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the real world it's pretty easy to track a radio signal. A directional antenna can tell you the bearing of a particular signal. Many modes of radio operation will have the radio send short identifier signals. So there's some regular signals to track with a directional antenna.

In the game if the character has a comlink turned on I'd say they could be tracked by dedicated tracking equipment or just the general sensors on a ship. A "tracking beacon" would just be an automated signal generator sending off short bursts regularly. The average comlink would probably listen for any GPS-like signals as well so it might be able to explicitly send its coordinates to anyone listening. Maybe a switch to toggle on a "track me" feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: