The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hit or Miss?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hit or Miss?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Most games, like D&D, use an abstract system where a dice rolled hit does not necessarily equate to damage from a sword stroke or, in other games, damage from a gun shot (or blaster or whatever).

This allows for play that can be fun where hits happen fairly often but damage does not usually kill or incapacitate a character with a single sword stroke (gunshot wound, blaster hit, whatever).

The more realistic take is to simulate actual hits with actual damage. That is, when a hit happens, damage is usually pretty severe, taking out the target by either killing him or incapacitating him.

In a game, this method would make the likelihood of hits a lot less often.

So, the question is:

Do you prefer a game where a hit happens more often but results in damage that cannot always be construed as an actual hit due to the light damage applied to the target?

Or, do you prefer a game where hits rarely happen, but when they do, damage is realistic and devastating to the target?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a third option could be considered. That's when hits happen fairly regularly, but a hit represents the potential of a hit. The target then rolls defense, as with D6 Star Wars, where the outcome of that hit is not dependent on the hit roll as much as it is on the defense roll.

So, when a hit happens, the outcome of that hit depends on how well the target rolls on defense.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a game be fun when hits are hard to roll and seldom happen?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do reinterpret some outcomes of hits. Like "stunned" results from normal blaster damage on unarmored characters. In the films you just don't see characters shake off a blaster bolt like that. I will usually say those blaster bolts just "buzzed" a character, a near miss to the head or light graze that may have even left a minor burn. No I wouldn't want the game to be deadlier in that any shot from a blaster is a mortal wound or instant death.

Is that what you're getting at?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Is that what you're getting at?

Not quite. My question isn't really directed at the Star Wars game, but rather at game mechanics in general.

I was just wondering if a game could be fun where hits are not rolled often at all. But, when they are rolled, serious effects on the target happen. Instead of hits that happen often with effects that are rarely serious--which is how most games are played.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit or Miss? Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Do you prefer a game where a hit happens more often but results in damage that cannot always be construed as an actual hit due to the light damage applied to the target?

Or, do you prefer a game where hits rarely happen, but when they do, damage is realistic and devastating to the target?

I like both. I have always liked ADND's HP AC/Thac0 system, where a hit even when it damages you does not automatically mean you got 'run through', but could have ment you twisted your ankle pirriouetting away from the sword thrust, or that the mace bashed you on the shield, but the blow still made your arm throb.

And i like the more realistic method of SWd6 where if i shoot, and you fail to defend, any damage i do is represented in your wound status.. However that's one reason i do like 1e's system where ANY blow at the least, stuns you..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem becomes the length of combat. In our games, the BBEG fights are always long: once someone gets hit, the fight is either over, or it ends shortly thereafter.

Mooks, on the other hand go down after (usually) just one attack (which often hits).

From a story telling perspective, I see the "long fights" as ones wherein characters are expending character points and such to keep their performance high enough to ensure victory.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a bad thing really, that the end boss fights are long and hard?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! That's the point. But should ALL the fights be long? I don't think so... or else, they should be long by virtue of the number of mooks (lots and lots) instead of because fighting one stormtrooper takes 10 or 11 attack rolls to even hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: