The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Speeder onboard a light freighter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Speeder onboard a light freighter? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And many of those designers also never thought their designs would get nit picked do d*mn much..

Nit pick? But why cant a speeder just fly through a 2.2m opening?

Depends on where it is. If it's in the ship's side, sure it will work. But if it is underneath, the speeder will have to fit into the space under the ship, fit between the lifters on the cargo lift (if any), angle sharply upward to fit through the hatch as close to veritcal as possible, and then pull back to level without hitting the cargo hold's ceiling. And then reverse the process on the way out.

Personally, using my scale system as a rule of thumb, I'd say that, unless some aspect of their deckplan allows for a larger loading hatch, light freighters can only carry Swoop-Scale vehicles. Want to haul a speeder? Get a bigger ship.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
You know, given SW technology, it would be pretty easy to have a cargo section without much of a ramp... one where the floor just dropped out, got loaded up, then was lifted/lifted itself into place, only to seal shut.

Not saying this is evident on any floor plans, mind you... just that it wouldn't be unreasonable.

What you're describing is a cargo lift/elevator, and there are several ship schematics that have them marked on them. Even the Millennium Falcon has a cargo lift/elevator.

http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/falcon.jpg

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And many of those designers also never thought their designs would get nit picked do d*mn much..

It might be 2.2 meters wide, but most are not 2.2 meters LONG.. And in some of those cargo holds (as CRCM mentioned) the HEIGHT won't let you "Fly in, and reorientate'"..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
You know, given SW technology, it would be pretty easy to have a cargo section without much of a ramp... one where the floor just dropped out, got loaded up, then was lifted/lifted itself into place, only to seal shut.

Not saying this is evident on any floor plans, mind you... just that it wouldn't be unreasonable.

What you're describing is a cargo lift/elevator, and there are several ship schematics that have them marked on them. Even the Millennium Falcon has a cargo lift/elevator.

Unfortunately, that deckplan has some serious issues as far as ceiling height and layout. I much prefer the version that used to be on the old (now defunct) Ship of Riddles website, where Robert Brown did an extremely in-depth analysis of the Falcon. Ultimately, he arrived that the conclusion that, when taking all of the evidence into account, the Millennium Falcon couldn't exist. However, he did work with an artist named Mike Marincic to generate a "What Might've Been" deckplan.

I've posted that deck plan here before, but unfortunately Photobucket has stopped offering free image hosting, so I can't upload it at the moment.

For the purposes of this conversation, however...
    1). The entire rear quarter "slice" of the ship is devoted to the reactor and engine room.

2). The two cylindrical pods on either side are universal docking collars, not escape pods.

3). The space between the bow mandibles is actually a cargo auto-loader, which feeds boxes into a conveyor system that delivers them to the ship's cargo holds (the light saber practice room is actually the main hold, with two smaller holds to either side).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Sure, but my point was that you don't necessarily need your cargo lift to be a measly few meters... it's pretty reasonable to simply make your entire cargo section your cargo lift, moving it with repulsors or a light tractor beam. And it makes some things a lot easier, like dumping your cargo.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the idea of a cargo bay that can lower itself to the ground for loading and unloading purposes.

In fact, I'm surprised it's not more of a thing. I remember seeing several ships (not in Star Wars, though) that had that sort of cargo lift. Or, at least making the lift large enough to fit a vehicle or large number of boxes easily into a larger cargo bay.

Perhaps making this a potential starship mod that can be applied to anything that is a freighter or bigger?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It might be 2.2 meters wide, but most are not 2.2 meters LONG.. And in some of those cargo holds (as CRCM mentioned) the HEIGHT won't let you "Fly in, and reorientate'"..

Nah... I dont buy it. If its so low that a repulsorlift craft cant angle in there, then its no good for loading cargo onto either (unless the cargo is more or less flat, itself.

If the bottom of the ship is high enough off the ground to walk under (and thus, load cargo onto the lift), then its tall enough to angle in there with a speeder that defies gravity and can stop in mid air and what not.

Worst case scenario: just use the ship's repulsors to get it high enough off the ground to allow the speeder a good angle of approach.

We are talking about a craft designed to haul 100 tons. There is room for a speeder, or else the ship wont sell.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it, don't buy it.. Your minds set, mine is too. So lets just agree to disagree.. and move on.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair point, though. The Falcon is the only space transport we get a good view of on its landing gear, and there isn't enough vertical clearance for a normal-height human to stand under it upright. So anyone trying to load a central cargo lift would have a very difficult time, and cargo being loaded on the lift would be very limited in vertical clearance.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, did we EVER see any cargo in the falcon??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then again, did we EVER see any cargo in the falcon??

Then again, did we ever see ALL of the Falcon's interior? At best, we saw 1/4 to 1/3. Who knows what else was where?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, now that I'm home, here is a link to the Mike Marincic deck plan for the Millennium Falcon.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this picture making the rounds.

It is, apparently, unused concept art of the Millennium Falcon with cargo pods for Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
There is also this picture making the rounds.

It is, apparently, unused concept art of the Millennium Falcon with cargo pods for Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections.

And the comments written on that picture show the artist is clueless.

"As long a train as you want"

Hogwash. The Falcon doesn't have engines powerful enough to push "As long a train as you want". Nor braking thrusters powerful enough to slow it down.

The sheer mass of the train limits the number of cargo units that could be transported that way and would likely require another ship on the opposite end using it's main engines to assist slowing it down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: