The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Exploring the Galaxy With Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Exploring the Galaxy With Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Exploring the Galaxy With Droids Reply with quote

So, let's say I want to explore the Galaxy. Figure I'll make a mint selling information to the BoSS and various corporate interests. However, I am an avowed agoraphobic, and don't want to go into space myself. I also hate people, so I'm not going to HIRE someone to do it.

If I wanted to send out a ton of droids to map the galaxy, what would I use? Is there anything canon? Demi-canon? Reasonably inferable? Or should I just buy a bunch of old freighters, load them up with droids, and send them out?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie canon way of doing this is obviously Arakyd Viper probe droids.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viper_probe_droid

If you wanted something special that you built yourself, I'd go for a set of mobile droid production platforms that were armed (for protection), and that would set up an asteroid mining facility in ore-rich systems to produce new batches of droids.

Essentially a variation on von Neumann probes and replicating seeder ships, but you're making droids. Have a spiderweb design of routes where you're still doing a random walk, but where droids report back occasionally to a hub, and where the hub sends you data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

If you wanted to get naughty, you might suborn already existing droids to do your bidding. Obviously, this would be easier if there was extensive usage of slave circuits for ships or pilot droids in the sector where you started, but you might release a few hacker droids that reprogram droids they meet and send them off on random courses to collect data.

If you managed to get hold of some exotic technology, there might be a variety of artifact-level technology that could help you. For instance some sort of new drive system, using Infinity Gates, Gree Hypergates, or whatever.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Viper isn't QUITE what I'm looking for... I want more of a hyperspace capable satellite, that can pop into a system, assess the various major bodies, do the astrogation work to find a new system, and jump to the next system.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A light freighter with a 1x hyperdrive decked out with the biggest sensor suite that will fit. Then load up a couple R-series droids as pilots/navigators and a few more plus some ASPs for maintenance. A 3PO brain as the commander. The 3PO fitted with a restraining circuit while the pilots and navigators have restraining circuits to follow the 3PO’s orders but they can get creative with the means.

You can even get an old Vulture droid brain to control the weapons. A Skipray could be used in place of a light freighter since it is armed and has military-spec hardware.

In the movies R2 offered to pilot for Luke on the way to Dagobah so we know droids can independently fly a ship. In most of the movies R2 also did repairs based on vague orders so we also see droids independently conducting repairs. The Separatists droid armies show that droids can be made to take orders from other droids.

Game wise you can load a droid character up with whatever skills you want so there's little restriction there.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you like the aesthetic of the Viper, why not use its big brother from Dark Empire Wiki link here

Size of a corvette and armed, just need to reprogram it for exploration and shove a hyper drive in there. It even has a hanger to dump probes on a planet with if the scans turn up something interesting.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the Hyena bomber have a hyper drive ? if not could you fit it with one and enhanced sensors in the bomb pod ?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
Well if you like the aesthetic of the Viper, why not use its big brother from Dark Empire Wiki link here

Size of a corvette and armed, just need to reprogram it for exploration and shove a hyper drive in there. It even has a hanger to dump probes on a planet with if the scans turn up something interesting.

Actually, that with a hyperdrive would work pretty well.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exploring the Galaxy With Droids Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, let's say I want to explore the Galaxy. Figure I'll make a mint selling information to the BoSS and various corporate interests.

(snip)

If I wanted to send out a ton of droids to map the galaxy, what would I use? Is there anything canon?

The scene I'm reminded of, of course, is all those probe droids being deployed at the start of The Empire Strikes Back.

From the movie, it looked like a Star Destroyer deploying the probe droids in the Hoth system.

In the novelization, the focus is on one probe droid (there is no scene with several deploying from an SD, IIRC), but I believe it is mentioned that those probe droids were spread out across the galaxy looking for hints of the Rebel Alliance.

Have you checked the Scouts book? I have it, but I've never read it.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the Empire Strikes back novelization. As Wajeb said, there's no opening scene with a Star Destroyer deploying probes throughout the Hoth system; it opens instead with Luke on his tauntaun doing his patrol and watching the "meteor" impact just before he's attacked by the wampa. We have a couple of scenes from the probe droid's perspective: one where it disturbs the slumber of a different wampa sleeping in the snow then disintegrates it with its lasers, and another where it creates a force field to protect itself while it camps/stays stationary during the night, crating the only perfectly round dome of snow on all of Hoth.

The earliest hint of additional probe droids only comes when we get to the scene on the Executor with Vader, Ozzel and Piett noting the Hoth probe droid's transmission; it plays out almost exactly like the scene in the movie.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I just looked at the Empire Strikes back novelization. As Wajeb said, there's no opening scene with a Star Destroyer deploying probes throughout the Hoth system; it opens instead with Luke on his tauntaun doing his patrol and watching the "meteor" impact just before he's attacked by the wampa. We have a couple of scenes from the probe droid's perspective: one where it disturbs the slumber of a different wampa sleeping in the snow then disintegrates it with its lasers, and another where it creates a force field to protect itself while it camps/stays stationary during the night, crating the only perfectly round dome of snow on all of Hoth.

The earliest hint of additional probe droids only comes when we get to the scene on the Executor with Vader, Ozzel and Piett noting the Hoth probe droid's transmission; it plays out almost exactly like the scene in the movie.

How often do novels match movies scene for scene. And in the case of Star Wars the novelizations were based on the movie scripts not the other way around, so I'd say any discrepancies between the movies and novels is the fault of the novel author not following the script.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the comic book adaptation of TESB that came out at the same time as the movie. It was a softcover comic book that was roughly the length and width of any of the modern-day Visual Guides we have today, but it really was a comic book. I don't think I could call it a graphic novel as I don't even remember anyone even using the term "graphic novel" back in 1980. But it was a faithful adaptation to the movie and it similarly lacked an opening scene with a Star Destroyer deploying probes. In fact, the very first panel was Luke watching the meteor/probe impacting Hoth, just as in the novelization (and likely the script as well,I assume).

One wonders whether the opening scene in TESB with the Star Destroyer launching its probes was something Lucas et al. tacked on in post-production, rather than something that was planned from the start (or even middle) since it wasn't in the original script. Not that I mind; seeing those probes being launched was pretty cool when I saw it the first time.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I remember the comic book adaptation of TESB that came out at the same time as the movie. It was a softcover comic book that was roughly the length and width of any of the modern-day Visual Guides we have today, but it really was a comic book. I don't think I could call it a graphic novel as I don't even remember anyone even using the term "graphic novel" back in 1980. But it was a faithful adaptation to the movie and it similarly lacked an opening scene with a Star Destroyer deploying probes. In fact, the very first panel was Luke watching the meteor/probe impacting Hoth, just as in the novelization (and likely the script as well,I assume).

One wonders whether the opening scene in TESB with the Star Destroyer launching its probes was something Lucas et al. tacked on in post-production, rather than something that was planned from the start (or even middle) since it wasn't in the original script. Not that I mind; seeing those probes being launched was pretty cool when I saw it the first time.

That scene also made sense. A plausible explanation for how the Empire found a hidden base out of all the planets in an entire galaxy.

We see one ship launching the droids and we can assume hundreds and thousands of SD's doing the same thing all over the place.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I can see some Moff somewhere bragging about how hunting down the Rebels is improving life in his system by bringing jobs to the masses producing those droids. Razz
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Hell, I can see some Moff somewhere bragging about how hunting down the Rebels is improving life in his system by bringing jobs to the masses producing those droids. Razz

Ooh, that reminds me of the Star Wars Rebels episode An Inside Man, where we see the Rebels sabotage the assembly lines in the Imperial factory on Lothal. If that happened to some Moff in a GM's group, the Moff could turn it around by saying to his subjects "Those dirty Rebels aren't just sabotaging the Empire's war effort! They're hurting our planet's economy! THEY TOOK YOUR JOBS!" Yeah, that would turn public opinion against the Rebels real quick. Shocked

A GM would have to be a fool not to take advantage of a complication like this.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ray wrote:

Ooh, that reminds me of the Star Wars Rebels episode An Inside Man, where we see the Rebels sabotage the assembly lines in the Imperial factory on Lothal. If that happened to some Moff in a GM's group, the Moff could turn it around by saying to his subjects "Those dirty Rebels aren't just sabotaging the Empire's war effort! They're hurting our planet's economy! THEY TOOK YOUR JOBS!" Yeah, that would turn public opinion against the Rebels real quick. Shocked

A GM would have to be a fool not to take advantage of a complication like this.
Depends on the situation at those factories. Ones that are properly working with safety concerns, yeah, it is affecting them.

Overworking workers that are getting limbs crushed by equipment and are just thrown out on the street without a cybernetic replacement because it is so much cheaper just to bring in a person from the eleventy-billion people on the street looking for anything? Not so much.

Rule of fear works as long as that fear is worse than what else is happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: