The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Banshee class transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Banshee class transport Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Banshee class transport Reply with quote

In the complete ship PDF online, there is a ship known as the Banshee heavy transport. Anyone ever seen it before, or know where it might have come from? Cause looking in the PDF there is no 'source' listed..
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google searches do not turn up anything concrete - one RP site ID's it as the class of Borvo's freighter from battle for naboo....its a cool name as any for it and that 'freighter' looks more like a corvette any way.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that name, I'm betting it's home brew.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if there are angels there are probably banshee's too but i suspect you are right....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, the pdf books only list a source if there is a published source, either WEG or WOTC. Ships that have no listed source at all simply don't have one, apart from the mind of whoever conceived of it.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific cultural names for things always interest me in Star Wars. Like, I can see "Wraith" and "Specter" because those are names for some general ideas... but a Banshee is a specific thing, from a specific culture. For there to be a Banshee, it means that there are Irish in the Star Wars universe, and they're influential enough to affect the naming of classes of ship.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no Irish people in the Star Wars Universe, there is no Ireland to have Irish people from, Just like there is no America, Spain, Sweden or England - despite what the accents tell you Smile

Wraith and Spectre are from specific cultures too, Wraith is a scottish term for ghost and Spectre is from Latin, which is Roman culture.

Banshee are not exclusive to Ireland either (though the name is), both the Scots and the Welsh have very similar creatures, and the English Barghest (though a hound) fulfills a similar role too. A quick wiki-search reveals a number of related creature types from various parts of the world.

It's amazing really, just how many concepts are common myths to cultures, even ones in different hemispheres.

Just my random thoughts though Smile

Xain
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike Banshee, "Angel" is canon, but as an alien species native to the moons of Iego (I think), not as a spiritual minion of God.

In this case, the "Banshee" is only canon as far as the mind and gaming universe of whoever homebrewed the stat.

So, there are no canon Wraiths, Spectres or Banshees in the SWU.

There are, however, ducks (see page 77 of the novelization of ANH).

Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, per a five minute wookieepedia search:

Can't get direct link to work, its the first one, click on the canon tab, but here are your Banshees Per that, a Banshee is a flying creature on Umbara.

Wraith is a bit of a toss up since Defel's are sometimes called Wraiths, and Defel's are still cannon but them being called Wraiths are from Legends.

And the team in Rebels call themselves Specters so while they don't say what a specter is, it must exist for them to name themselves after it.[/url]
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
Actually, per a five minute wookieepedia search:

Can't get direct link to work, its the first one, click on the canon tab, but here are your Banshees Per that, a Banshee is a flying creature on Umbara.

However, in the case of this stat, there is no indication that the stat-writer was aware of the "canon Banshee" from TCW, as the stat compilation book was published years before that episode (or TCW in general) was released. At best it's retconning, though it is highly unlikely that Disneylucas would place any importance whatsoever on retconning a homebrew ship.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
"Angel" is canon, but as an alien species native to the moons of Iego (I think), not as a spiritual minion of God...

I don't think the pre-Disney novelizations are still canon, but see TPM (the actual film itself) for canon ducks.

CAPTAIN PANAKA: If we can't get the shield generators fixed, we'll be sitting ducks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also depends on if you build your stats for Disney-Cannon (i'd like to fire most of the disney stuff so far OUT of a cannon....into the sun...Rogue one can stay though - skyhook was a BIG operation) or if you build for Legends/EU which has vastly more stuff available.

Could be the ship was a corellian ship named after the bird. As to where the bird gets its name that's any ones guess !
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
also depends on if you build your stats for Disney-Cannon (i'd like to fire most of the disney stuff so far OUT of a cannon....into the sun...Rogue one can stay though - skyhook was a BIG operation) or if you build for Legends/EU which has vastly more stuff available.

Could be the ship was a corellian ship named after the bird. As to where the bird gets its name that's any ones guess !

But the only place where Banshees are canon IS Disney Canon, from the Clone Wars TV Series. Go back and read the article; they are native to Umbara.

And anyways, the original stat writer couldn't have known about the Banshee from Disney canon because it didn't exist until almost a decade after he wrote up the stat.

The Banshee in the Stat Compilation book is homebrew. If it wasn't, the book would've listed a source in the stat. And the problem with EU stats (shoddy quality control) is only exacerbated in the case of homebrew stats.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
"Angel" is canon, but as an alien species native to the moons of Iego (I think), not as a spiritual minion of God...

I don't think the pre-Disney novelizations are still canon, but see TPM (the actual film itself) for canon ducks.

CAPTAIN PANAKA: If we can't get the shield generators fixed, we'll be sitting ducks!
Or, since the language spoken a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away is unlikely to be the English we hear in the films the word "duck" is used so that the English speaking earth audience understands the reference. The Star Wars aquatic game bird may not actually be a member of the family Anatidae but it may, like earthly ducks, be more easily shot while sitting on the water.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am surprised they arent some kind of lizard duck knowing naboo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: