The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking a blow for someone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Taking a blow for someone else? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Taking a blow for someone else? Reply with quote

In many games of SW i have ran and played, often i've seen it where the DM (or me) has allowed someone else to make a dodge roll to jump INTO THE path of a bolt meant for someone else, "taking the blow" for that other person (like a wookie jumping into the path of a blaster bolt targeted at a techie pc who has only 2d+2 str)..

Have YOu ever seen it done?
If so, what rules did you see used for whether the other pc was successful in taking the blow?
Do they have to just jump in to Take the blow, or can they dodge in to try and knock the other pc out of the way?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my first instinct is "You have to beat the attack roll with your Dodge roll", I think that's not a good way to go... Dodge works fine, for me, but the real trick is you need to dodge better than the person being attacked. So, I'd lean towards, instead, your Dodge roll needing to beat your friend's dodge roll, AND a certain flat difficulty, based on your range to them. If they're not dodging, then you only need to worry about the difficulty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that just to TAKE the blow? What if they are instead trying to dodge into the person to knock him or her out of the way AND avoid the shot themselves? Could someone do it to a person further than a half move would allow them to get to?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, this is much less a question of how well a character can "dodge" and more about whether the character is fully aware of what is going on. I would rate this as more of a perception problem, and base it more on the character's initiative.

For example, if the character is still waiting for his first turn because his initiative has not come up yet in the turn order, then I'd say he cannot attempt such a thing: he still has not fully processed what is going on (hence the lower initiative).

If the character has a higher initiative than the one taking the shot, then I'd allow for it. If the character would reasonably be expected to take this action on behalf of his buddy, and the player asked if he could attempt it, I might call for a quick perception check (or search, depending), to determine if the character is able to process the battlefield quickly enough and thoroughly enough to attempt it (and is he close enough?).

If so, I might rule that there is no roll required on the part of the character taking the hit, but rather, he increases the difficulty of the attacker's roll by some amount. If the attack beats the new difficulty, the original target is hit as intended. If the attack misses, but would have hit, then the intervening character is hit. If the attack misses the original difficulty, then both characters (the original target and the one intervening) are unharmed, but probably prone on the ground.

Now, if this was a one-time deal, then I'd be fine just using dodge, but if this became a common tactic on the part of the PCs, I'd need to come up with a house rule, and the one above is where I would start.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking a blow for someone else? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Have YOu ever seen it done?
If so, what rules did you see used for whether the other pc was successful in taking the blow?
Do they have to just jump in to Take the blow, or can they dodge in to try and knock the other pc out of the way?
I've seen it done and not always by a high STR character. It seems very appropriate for heroic space opera.

I don't recall exactly what rules were used.

If the optional Haste rules are used, you could just haste your move and move in the way.
    If you have the initiative you could just move in the way.
    I could see using Running or Jumping if the GM wanted to make it more difficult for the character to succeed. In a similar vein, I could also see using Dodge for a blaster shot.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were in my game, I'd probably allow it if the person wanted to spend a Force point to bend the rules to such a degree. Granted, they'd probably get the Force point back at the end of the session... if they survive to the end of the session.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If it were in my game, I'd probably allow it if the person wanted to spend a Force point to bend the rules to such a degree. Granted, they'd probably get the Force point back at the end of the session... if they survive to the end of the session.
But the FP doubles their STR so they are more likely to survive the hit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he's saying the FP spent, is NOT doubling stats. Much like to use the force power Reduce injury or transfer force, you need to "Spend/burn' a force point.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Unless he's saying the FP spent, is NOT doubling stats. Much like to use the force power Reduce injury or transfer force, you need to "Spend/burn' a force point.
In that case the action would be more heroic.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is precisely what I meant. Spend the FP to act out of turn, and take what comes.

I'm not sure what I'd say about spending the character points on top of it to help soak the damage.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
That is precisely what I meant. Spend the FP to act out of turn, and take what comes.
In that case I agree that is a dramatically good use of a Force Point and should almost always be considered heroic.

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'd say about spending the character points on top of it to help soak the damage.
Once character points are used they are gone, so using CPs to up your Strength roll would concern me less than using a FP where that FP also (and secondarily) doubles your Strength roll. The spent CPs means that diving in front and then using CPs still costs the character something (i.e. CPs). However, in general I don't like the idea that intercepting an attack (blaster shot, grenade, sword blow, etc) to save another character would result in the heroic character getting away with a result of no effect from the damage to the hero. A no effect result undercuts the display of heroism and dramatically it makes the scene fall flat. (And yes I realize there are some exceptions e.g. the hero is wearing body armor.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence to me if they were to be allowed to do it, there wouldn't be using of CP (or fp) to save them from taking NO damage period.. There would have to be some damage they would take.. Not sure if 'they can spend CP to mitigate the damage taken down to at most a wound' or Stun..
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some feedback from folks in the g+ group and here, I came up with this specific "bodyguard" / martial arts technique for when I statted up Onar Koma from FFG's Imperial Assault game for the Obscure Characters Archive. If someone didn't possess / was untrained in this technique, I'd just have them use whatever DEX-based skill was appropriate, eg: running if they had distance to traverse, brawling parry if they were stepping in to take a close-quarters attack, etc.

"Stay Behind Me!"

Technique: Bodyguard Block | Difficulty: Moderate to Very Difficult + Attack roll

Effect: Onar Koma has been trained to put himself in harm's way for the safety of those he is tasked with protecting. On a successful skill check that also exceeds a ranged, brawling, or melee attack roll, Koma is able to shield the intended victim from harm. Any damage that the original target would have suffered from the attack is inflicted upon Koma instead.

Anyone that Koma attempts to shield must be either adjacent to him at the time of the attack, or close enough that he can traverse the distance with a move action before the attack takes place. The base difficulty of this technique is determined by the distance (if any) that Koma must traverse with his move action: Moderate = up to 1/2 Move, Difficult = Full Move, Very Difficult = Move x2 (High Speed). Koma may shield targets up to 1/2 Move away as a reaction skill. He may also attempt to protect multiple targets. Protecting against both ranged and close quarters attacks requires separate skill checks.

This technique may also be used passively. If kept "up" as an action, Koma may provide a target — within 1/2 Move distance — an amount of cover determined by the success of his technique roll: Moderate = 1/4 cover, Difficult = 1/2 cover, Very Difficult = 3/4 Cover.

Onar Koma's write-up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIaS1vdUxoUGVhaEE/view

Last edited by Telsij on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 pm; edited 6 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.. I might adapt that..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question: if a character knows he's going to take a hit, can he use the Preparation rule to add 1D to his Strength roll to resist damage?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: