The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure Reply with quote

Something I keep meaning to import and finally found my stats for...

Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure

"No we are not calling it a sandcaster! This a spacecraft defensive countermeasure system. That makes it sounds like some kind of dune buggy. Now get out of my office!"--Pre-Republic archeological data file

In the misty time of legends before the Republic or even the invention of hyperdrive and repulsors space faring races engaged in combat with themselves. These early battles involved quite primitive vessels by today's standards. Soon after this a lesson was learned, early spacecraft predating ray shielding and lacking the luxury for the mass required for hulls to be armored to withstand laser beams (the new cutting edge weapon of the day)don't last long. So the Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure (DEW-C) was developed to at least reduce the punishment dealt out by these deadly beams.
At its heart the DEW-C consisted of a launcher and automated sensor system aiding a live operator or even a primitive droid (or in desperate cases a manual operator only no fire control bonus) calibrated to detect hostile fire control systems and preemptively deploy a canister of ablative material between attacker and target. After launching the canister detonates deploying a cloud of ablative material to absorb or at least degrade the incoming energy before impacting on the defending vessel. Early DEW-Cs used iron or steel granules or ball bearings sometimes with an addition ablative coating to improve its effectiveness in more advanced models. This material proved both economical for a disposable projectile and allowed the use of an electromagnet system built into the canister to compensate for the cloud to over disperse from its initial explosive deployment. The final most advanced models employed a system based on tractor beam technology replacing the electromagnet system allowing the use of more effective non-ferrous materials. However at this time ray-shielding technology had become effective and economical enough to render DEW-Cs to considered obsolete.

Early Model DEW-C
Mass: 4 tons
+2 to hull value vs. Energy
Fire Control: +2
Ammo: 20 (1 shot counters 1 energy attack)

Advanced Model DEW-C
Mass: 3.5 tons
+1d to hull value vs. Energy
Fire Control: +1d
Ammo: 25 (1 shot counters 1 energy attack)

Game notes: DEW-Cs are deployed as a reaction skill vs. the gunnery skill of the attacker. The DEW-C skill is quite rare now, esoteric beyond even that of Archaic Starship Piloting.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think of:

Dream mess
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Directed Energy Weapon Countermeasure Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
"No we are not calling it a sandcaster! This a spacecraft defensive countermeasure system. That makes it sounds like some kind of dune buggy. Now get out of my office!"--Pre-Republic archeological data file
Laughing

Sandcasters. One of the three things I hate most about Traveller.

The others are "slug throwers" the least colorful and cool sci fi name since slug throwers and 2D spatial maps. What is so frickin hard about 3D space? Pythagoras has been dead for millennia and his theorem hasn't changed in all that time. Learn it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
What I think of:

Dream mess

Okay, that's funny.

I recall Babylon 5 having something similar called Interceptors. The tech was non-specific, but it appeared to function like a CIWS that worked against both solid and energy weapons. The show was non-specific as to how it worked, but what is essentially a mega-shotgun in space is a good explanation.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
What I think of:

Dream mess

Okay, that's funny.

I recall Babylon 5 having something similar called Interceptors. The tech was non-specific, but it appeared to function like a CIWS that worked against both solid and energy weapons. The show was non-specific as to how it worked, but what is essentially a mega-shotgun in space is a good explanation.

Huh, I'm a big fan of Bab 5, but I don't remember that. Was that an Earth cap ship weapon?

...I suddenly have the uncontrollable urge to watch Babylon 5 now. Time to break out my Season 1 DVDs!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An interceptor is a type of weapons system which, as the name suggests, is specifically designed to counter incoming fire. They can also be used for long range dispersion fire. Starfuries can also be linked to the Interceptor system to increase efficiency but the recovery of the fighters can result in an enormous drop of the whole screen. (Episode "Severed Dreams")
http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Interceptor

There's an image at the link.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont recall the episode name or number, but it was the episode where Babylon 5 broke with the Earth Alliance and Earthforce cruisers attacked the station. In the opening sequence of the battle, you can see one of the cruisers firing a short range weapon that stops an enemy attack just short of its hull. Again, no specifics...

Also, as far as the OP, a more high-tech version might use disruptor weaponry, and just technobabble that the blast from a disruptor works against energy as well as matter...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is precedent in some way for this, with the blaster dispersing gas that can be used in character scale combat. So i like that abative stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: