The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zahn Campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Zahn Campaign Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Zahn Campaign Reply with quote

Here are the RPG materials related to Timothy Zahn (based on his novels or stories or giving him a ‘with’ or ‘special thanks’ credit):

19 BBY
Mist Encounter (Adventure Journal 7) - Aug 1995

0 ABY
The Lost Reef (Stock Ships) - Dec 1997

2 ABY
Command Decision (Adventure Journal 11) - Nov 1996
Side Trip (Adventure Journal 12-13) - Feb 1997

6 ABY
The Kaal Connection (Adventure Journal 7) – Aug 1995

8 ABY
First Contact (Adventure Journal 1) - Feb 1994
The DarkStryder Campaign - Jul 1995
The Kathol Outback - Jan 1996
The Kathol Rift - May 1996
Endgame - Dec 1996

9 ABY
Heir to the Empire Sourcebook - Jun 1992
Dark Force Rising Sourcebook - Apr 1993
The Last Command Sourcebook - Mar 1994
The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook - Jun 1996

Most of the Adventure Journal entries are short stories by Zahn followed by gaming stats for the characters, species, vehicles, etc. featured in the story, as well as adventure ideas. “The Kaal Connection” is a straight adventure.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. Nice to have it all in one place. The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook is one of my fave WEG books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Nice to have it all in one place. The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook is one of my fave WEG books.

+1, although some of its stats are technically obsolete *cough* Golan! *cough* Defense! *cough* Platforms!! *cough*
Sorry about the coughing fit.
8)
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the DarkStryder campaign or the Kathol sector? Seems pretty epic.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the DarkStryder campaign or the Kathol sector? Seems pretty epic.

I own it, but it's a hell of a read. I've never done much more than skim through it. Looks cool, though.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Was there ever a hardcover for the Thrawn Trilogy book or was it softcover only?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Whill wrote:

Was there ever a hardcover for the Thrawn Trilogy book or was it softcover only?

AFAIK, it was softcover only. I never saw (or even heard of!) a hardcover copy.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:
Whill wrote:

I concur. The three individual novel sourcebooks were hardbacks, but the trilogy sourcebook was paperback only AFAIK.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
WillTasker wrote:
Whill wrote:

I concur. The three individual novel sourcebooks were hardbacks, but the trilogy sourcebook was paperback only AFAIK.

This saves me from searching; thanks for that
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It's a little more complicated than that. I have the three individual sourcebooks.

Heir to the Empire, First printing: July 1992 (softcover)
Dark Force Rising, First printing: April 1993 (softcover)
The Last Command (hardcover). I acquired that much later than the first two. As it's still shrink-wrapped I can't tell you the date of printing.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
It's a little more complicated than that. I have the three individual sourcebooks.

The Last Command (hardcover). I acquired that much later than the first two. As it's still shrink-wrapped I can't tell you the date of printing.

Wait, you have The Last Command Sourcebook in hardcover? I thought those didn't exist. What's the ISBN number?

EDIT: Huh, according to Wookieepedia, they actually were in hardcover. Who knew? I certainly didn't.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISBN 0-87431-197-7
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:

I never meant to imply that the three individual novel sourcebooks were hardback only, which is why I left out the word only. The three individual sourcebooks were available in hardback, and the trilogy was not AFAIK (thus "paperback only"). I used to have the three individual hardbacks, and I still do have the trilogy sourcebook softcover.

As I recall I acquired each hardback as soon as it was available. It goes against the standard book publishing model to have softcovers available then publish hardback editions, or softcovers simultaneously published with the hardbacks, so I am almost certain any individual novel paperback sourcebooks would have come out later, at least in America.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never meant to imply that the three individual novel sourcebooks were hardback only, which is why I left out the word only. The three individual sourcebooks were available in hardback, and the trilogy was not AFAIK (thus "paperback only"). I used to have the three individual hardbacks, and I still do have the trilogy sourcebook softcover.

As I recall I acquired each hardback as soon as it was available. It goes against the standard book publishing model to have softcovers available then publish hardback editions, or softcovers simultaneously published with the hardbacks, so I am almost certain any individual novel paperback sourcebooks would have come out later, at least in America.

Whill's right: hardcovers generally come out before softcovers. I have the Thrawn trilogy sourcebook which is indeed a softcover, but while I remember seeing the individual novel sourcebooks, I remember seeing them as softcovers. I don't remember ever seeing hardcover versions, but then again, when these books came out, I was not as much an avid fan of Star Wars D6 as I am now, so I wouldn't have known about the hardcover versions even existing. (Gawds, I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Platt's Smuggling Guide when I had the chance!) As soon as I saw the picture of the Last Command hardcover at Wookieepedia earlier today, I knew that that they did indeed exist.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I never meant to imply that the three individual novel sourcebooks were hardback only, which is why I left out the word only.
I can see how you intended that. It is certainly a tenable reading, though perhaps not the most likely reading in context. You said, "The three individual novel sourcebooks were hardbacks" a reasonable reading of this is that the word only was implied. As an example, compare the sentence "the Drabatan species were short and gray-green in color." Should we expect to see a pink or a tall Drabatan?

Quote:
I cannot speak to that. These aren't novels where the overwhelming majority are published in hardback first and paperback later. Whether that model applies to game books, who can say? What the two softback copies list is a first printing date. Maybe that is the first printing date for any version of the sourcebooks. Maybe it is the first paperback printing date.

In any case I purchased them from a local game and hobby store in Michigan years before I bought the hardback copy. IIR I acquired the hardback in a WEG close out sale so who knows how long it sat in WEG's warehouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: