The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chiirut style monk template
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Chiirut style monk template Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miraluka. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Miraluka

And no; the physical description doesn't quite fit.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice looking character sheet. Very Happy

Strength 4D seems too high. Chirrut didn't strike me as having the maximum human Strength and he seemed more dexterous than powerful.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So would he potentially be of that race that's blind but can see via the force, the Mirulkian?? (spelling unsure)..

I don't think so, no. His Wookiepedia lists him as human, not Miraluka. Notably, blindness was a trait Donnie Yen added to the character and, as a Miraluka, he wouldn't have actually had eyes.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
That's a very nice looking character sheet. Very Happy

Strength 4D seems too high. Chirrut didn't strike me as having the maximum human Strength and he seemed more dexterous than powerful.

I didn't notice that myself (when I copied this sheet, I was concentrating more on proofreading than actual, y'know, reading), but it makes sense. Yeah, Chirrut definitely seems more dextrous than powerful.

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
So would he potentially be of that race that's blind but can see via the force, the Mirulkian?? (spelling unsure)..

I don't think so, no. His Wookiepedia lists him as human, not Miraluka. Notably, blindness was a trait Donnie Yen added to the character and, as a Miraluka, he wouldn't have actually had eyes.

I remember seeing that in the RO Bluray Special Features, the partial interview where Donnie Yen mentioned that suggestion and how he wanted Chirrut to have a "blind swordsman" vibe.

I also found out (from TVTropes) that when Chirrut is captured by Saw's Rebels and they put the hood over his head and he exasperatingly says "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!", it turns out that Donnie Yen ad-libbed that line; it wasn't in the script. That was laugh out loud funny. Mr. Green
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I also found out (from TVTropes) that when Chirrut is captured by Saw's Rebels and they put the hood over his head and he exasperatingly says "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!", it turns out that Donnie Yen ad-libbed that line; it wasn't in the script. That was laugh out loud funny. Mr. Green
I really liked Chirrut's humor. Good on Donnie Yen for the ad-lib.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I really liked Chirrut's humor. Good on Donnie Yen for the ad-lib.

And it adds more coolness to the character.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would cook up Chirrut as a Quixotic Jedi template with some different equipment. His intuition could be from his need to rely on his Sense skill rather than perception. It's possible that he was just BSing a lot of his intuition as to what was happening, but to me, it felt like a passive use of Sense.

That's just my take.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I honestly would cook up Chirrut as a Quixotic Jedi template with some different equipment. His intuition could be from his need to rely on his Sense skill rather than perception. It's possible that he was just BSing a lot of his intuition as to what was happening, but to me, it felt like a passive use of Sense.

That's just my take.
It also seemed like he was somehow avoiding being shot while doing the Scarif Shuffle to evade blaster fire so he could reach the master switch. (Dim Another’s Senses perhaps?)
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That's just my take.
It also seemed like he was somehow avoiding being shot while doing the Scarif Shuffle to evade blaster fire so he could reach the master switch. (Dim Another’s Senses perhaps?)

This was our take on it, re: adapting blindfighting and concentration for Chirrut and his Guardian of the Whills background and zama-shiwo training:

“Inward Eye”: If Chirrut Îmwe spends one full turn concentrating on his surroundings, and makes a successful Very Difficult (25) zama-shiwo martial arts roll, or search: hearing roll, he is able to auditorily map out an area of up to a 20 meter radius, within which he may act without incurring the -4D visual penalty for his blindness, or in others’ cases, for absolute darkness.

Mantra: The meditation upon and repetition of personal mantras grant a master of zama-shiwo a rare ability, not unlike that of a Jedi. He is able to clear all negative thoughts from his mind, and to feel the Force flowing through the universe, and the connection of his own being to the Force’s will. In game terms, a zama-shiwo master (one who has attained 12D in the skill) must concentrate on one specific task at hand while reciting his mantra, and make a Very Difficult (25) willpower roll. If this willpower roll is successful, he may add +4D to any one action in that round. He may perform no other actions except using the Mantra ability, and his one chosen skill for that round. The zama-shiwo master receives no bonus if anything else is done in that round, including duplicate uses of the same skill; however, this ability may be used in conjunction with Force Points or Character Points. This ability can be in effect for only one round and may not be kept "up."
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Mantra idea but a 12D skill seems ridiculously high to me.* I'd make the prerequisite much lower or nonexistent and then probably match the difficulty (25) against the skill roll.

So what do you figure the one action Chirrut was performing while he shuffled over to the switch?

* I'm not trying to bash you. But to put this in context, 12D is like Darth Vader, best in the galaxy level of skill. It is also 3D-4D higher than any PC skill I've seen in a Star Wars game even after years and years of play. Now since I definitely see Chirrut as a PC with skills that a PC should reasonably be able to reach I can't have a prerequisite that high.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no bashing perceived. The 12D is not in reference to a Force skill -- and sorry if that wasn't clear -- and I do tend to think of Chirrut as among the best zama-shiwo practitioners in the SW universe.

This is very specifically a technique available only to masters of the Zama-shiwo Martial Arts specialization, a level which Chirrut has achieved. It is a tradition similar to the Jedi as well, per the Rogue One ultimate visual guide.

If it were up to me, said technique would simply be unavailable until such status has been achieved, though I do like your idea/suggestion and hear you about the high bar. We also waffled on where to set his martial arts specialization stat at: I think I initially had him at 10D+1 or 11D+1, but a lot of the "canon" texts suggest that Chirrut has achieved true master status in these disciplines... so we went all out to 12D, however, your constructive crit is taken and I may bump the threshold down.

In this way, Chirrut is able to connect to the Force through his faith and intense study, but does not possess out-and-out Force abilities.

In our take, Chirrut has no Force skills per se, but is Force-Sensitive. And my post above is specifically for Chirrut's write-up, not a Guardian of the Whills template -- apologies also if that wasn't clear.

(And no worries, I am well aware of the context Wink I long ago memorized page upon page of stats like I'm sure we all have, eg: ESB Han Solo was at 11D+1 starship piloting and starship gunnery 9D in 1E, but is at 7D space transports and 11D+1 YT-1300 in 2E, with 11D+1 approaching among the best in the galaxy, 4D considered professional level, 5D above average expertise, etc. Han is shorted a pip in his Knowledge attribute, as Luke is shorted 2 pips in PER, etc etc.)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Could be, or he could have just been spending a Force Point "dodging" while using Combat Sense. Threepio manages to walk through ample amounts of blaster fire without the use of Dimming Senses. It's possible because he was walking and armed with a stick that the Death Troopers were busier shooting at guys armed with Blasters.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with some characters having access to some Force Powers with little to no formal training. There are a lot of potential Jedi Knights who wash out and serve the Jedi Order in other capacities. I've not read a lot of the newer stuff being released, so I don't know how much of Chirrut's backstory they've covered, but it's possible that he was discovered by the Jedi, but he was too old to begin the training. As such, he still opted to become a Guardian of the Whills, and he simply picked up a few tricks by staying in such close proximity to members of the Order for as long as he had.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Anyway, I don't see a problem with some characters having access to some Force Powers with little to no formal training. There are a lot of potential Jedi Knights who wash out and serve the Jedi Order in other capacities. I've not read a lot of the newer stuff being released, so I don't know how much of Chirrut's backstory they've covered, but it's possible that he was discovered by the Jedi, but he was too old to begin the training. As such, he still opted to become a Guardian of the Whills, and he simply picked up a few tricks by staying in such close proximity to members of the Order for as long as he had.

Chirrut being too old to become a Jedi is a possibility. For my part, I thought he was either too weak in the Force or too blind to be accepted by the Jedi Order. I think I remember at least one or two blind Jedi (Rahm Kota was blind, wasn't he? or am I thinking of someone else?). But if I remember correctly, those blind Jedi became blind as a result of a combat injury after they became Jedi Knights. I don't recall a single instance of a blind Padawan being accepted for Jedi training. If that's so, then maybe that's why Chirrut wasn't accepted as for Jedi training, assuming his blindness was a childhood injury or even the result of a birth defect. Then again, aren't cybernetic eyes a thing in the SWU? Considering the Jedi Order's funding during the Old Republic, it wouldn't have been a huge matter to get Chirrut artificial eyes in order to make him worthy of Jedi training, so maybe his weakness in the Force was the major factor in keeping him from joining the Jedi Order after all.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
If that's so, then maybe that's why Chirrut wasn't accepted as for Jedi training, assuming his blindness was a childhood injury or even the result of a birth defect. Then again, aren't cybernetic eyes a thing in the SWU? Considering the Jedi Order's funding during the Old Republic, it wouldn't have been a huge matter to get Chirrut artificial eyes in order to make him worthy of Jedi training, so maybe his weakness in the Force was the major factor in keeping him from joining the Jedi Order after all.

It would be nice to know was he blind from birth, some medical issue as a kid/young adult, or did he get that way from a battle injury.
And if that was the case was it That which made it where he was not accepted by the jedi order, so went to the whills instead..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chirrut being too old to become a Jedi is a possibility. For my part, I thought he was either too weak in the Force or too blind to be accepted by the Jedi Order. I think I remember at least one or two blind Jedi (Rahm Kota was blind, wasn't he? or am I thinking of someone else?). But if I remember correctly, those blind Jedi became blind as a result of a combat injury after they became Jedi Knights. I don't recall a single instance of a blind Padawan being accepted for Jedi training. If that's so, then maybe that's why Chirrut wasn't accepted as for Jedi training, assuming his blindness was a childhood injury or even the result of a birth defect. Then again, aren't cybernetic eyes a thing in the SWU? Considering the Jedi Order's funding during the Old Republic, it wouldn't have been a huge matter to get Chirrut artificial eyes in order to make him worthy of Jedi training, so maybe his weakness in the Force was the major factor in keeping him from joining the Jedi Order after all.

Yes, Cybernetics are a thing. However, like many things it's possible that something in his biology or physiology which made him non-viable for replacement surgery. Or, perhaps he just decided that he didn't want to have his eyes replaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: