The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Average/Typical Species Attributes omitted from 2e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Average/Typical Species Attributes omitted from 2e
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Average/Typical Species Attributes omitted from 2e Reply with quote

WEG Star Wars The RPG 1e alien species stats have no attribute ranges. They have an average/typical set of attributes (and creating alien PCs that had no PC template required taking that basis and adding 6D total to it).

The first 2e core (Blue Vader, 1992) introduced species attribute ranges and set an unfortunate new precedence by leaving out the species' average/typical stats.

Some 2e republications of 1e books left out the original average/typical attributes, like Galaxy Guide 4 (1994); while other republications included them, like The SW Sourcebook (1994).

Some of the new 2e books with species stats didn't include the average/typical attributes, but some did, notably Galaxy Guide 12 (1995) which were all species that had never been statted out in either edition.

Alien Encounters (1998) was a late game line compilation of most alien species which had been given stats except species in GG4 and GG12. Alien Encounters would have been a great place for WEG to gives us the average/typical attributes for all the 1e species not carried over to 2e, and all the 2e species that never had them, but instead they chose to just omit it for all species, even ones that already had them published. The Rancor Pit Alien Stats compilation followed this standard and left out all average/typical stats.

Sure, all you absolutely need are the species attribute ranges to create characters, but some GMs feel it is important to have the average/typical attributes as a baseline and you shouldn't need two GG4s. Below are the average/typical attributes from Galaxy Guide 4 and the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook.

GALAXY GUIDE 4: ALIEN RACES

Abyssin
DEX: 2D
KNO: 2D+2
MEC: 1D
PER: 2D+1
STR: 3D
TEC: 1D

Altorians: Avogwi
DEX: 2D+2
KNO: 1D+2
PER: 2D+2
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 10D attribute dice species.

Altorians: Nuiwit
DEX: 1D+2
KNO: 2D+1
MEC: 2D+2
PER: 1D+2
STR: 1D+2
TEC: 2D

Aqualish
DEX: 2D+1
KNO: 1D+1
PER: 2D
STR: 2D
TEC: 1D+2

Arcona
MEC: 1D+2
STR: 2D+2

Barabel
KNO: 1D
STR: 4D

Bilars
PER: 1D
STR: 1D
Note: Per 2e rules, the above mental attributes indicate this is for a 3-member claqa. However, Dexterity and Strength have 4D to allocate between them, so the above is short 1D between those two attributes.

Bith
DEX: 1D
KNO: 2D
TEC: 2D+2

Brubbs
MEC: 2D+1
STR: 3D+1

Chadra-Fan
PER: 3D
TEC: 2D+1

Charon: Bioscientist
KNO: 4D
MEC: 2D
PER: 4D
TEC: 4D
Note: This is 18D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 16D attribute dice species.

Charon: Warrior
DEX: 4D
PER: 4D
Note: This is 18D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 16D attribute dice species.

Columi
DEX: –
KNO: 6D
PER: 5D
STR: –
TEC: 5D
Note: This is 18D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 12D attribute dice species.

Defel
DEX: 3D

Devaronian (males)
KNO: 3D
STR: 2D+1

Duinuogwuin (Star Dragons)
KNO: 4D
STR: 5D

Duros
MEC: 3D

Fefze (hive-mind)
KNO: 3D

Flakax
TEC: 1D+1
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 10D attribute dice species.

Givin
STR: 1D+1
TEC: 3D

Gotal
PER: 5D

Ho'Din

Hutts
DEX: 1D
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 14D attribute dice species.

Ishi Tib

Iyra
TEC: 2D+2

Jenet
MEC: 1D+1

Kitonak
DEX: 1D+1
TEC: 1D+1

Kubaz

Laboi
STR: 4D+1 (8m)
Note: Strength directly relates to size, and per 2e, they are a 12D attribute dice species. Thus, the average length is 8m.

Mon Calamari
Note: Average/typical attributes appear in The SW Sourcebook 2e.

Ortolans

Ossan

Ranats
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 9D attribute dice species.

Ri'Dar
DEX: 3D+2

Rodians

Sedrians

Sic-Six
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 11D attribute dice species.

Squibs

Talz
STR: 3D+1
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 11D attribute dice species.

Togorians

Ugors
Note: No average/typical stats are given since Ugors are amorphous beings with variable stats.

Verpine
PER: 1D+1
STR: 1D+1

Whiphids

Xi'Dec

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE SOURCEBOOK

Bimms

Elomin

Myneyrsh
Note: The 2e stats only repeat the typical attributes. (There are no attribute ranges.)

Noghri
Note: This is 12D in attributes when 2e stats indicate they are a 16D attribute dice species.

Psadan
Note: The 2e stats only repeat the typical attributes. (There are no attribute ranges.)

Wookiees
Note: Average/typical attributes appear in The SW Sourcebook 2e.

COMMENTARY

Were there any transcription errors above? Do you know of any other 2e alien stats that didn't include the average/typical attributes but 1e provides them in sources not mentioned here?

There are 44 total alien races in GG4. One has no average/typical stats in 1e or 2e because they are amorphous blobs (Ugors). One has 2e stats with the average/typical attributes in the SW Sb (Mon Calamari). 14 of the remaining species have a different number of attribute dice in 2e than the average/typical stats here add up to, so this can't perfectly represent the missing stats (12 of those are higher than 2e indicates for average/typical, and two are lower). That leaves 28 GG4 races total where the average/typical stats here completely conform to the 2e stats. For the 14 that don't, those attribute sets could still be used to represent NPCs in the game because, as finally realized in 2e, characters can be above (and below) average, including in-between average and PC-level.

There are 6 total alien species in the HttE Sb. One has 2e stats with the average/typical attributes in the SW Sb (Wookiees). One of the remaining species has more attribute dice in 2e than the average/typical stats here add up to (Noghri), so this can't perfectly represent the missing stats. Two of the species here don't get a full species stat-up in TTT Sb – Myneyrsh and Psadan only appear as encounter-able aliens in their planet write-ups, and thus WEG never intended them on being playable species. (The full stat-ups that appear in the Alien Stats compilation for these species are fan creations.) That leaves 2 HTTE Sb species where the average/typical stats here completely conform to the 2e stats (Bimms and Elomin).

This small project took more time than I thought it would and yielded less results than I hoped it would. I suppose the 30 total aliens with average/typical stats from 1e that can be used as-is in 2e are worthy additions to the stagnating 1e conversion project.

I'm not going to try to interpret RAW to "convert" the 1e average/typical stats that don't conform to the 2e stats because it would involve my choices and I don't strictly adhere to RAW anyway – I already re-stat any species average/typical attributes (including total attribute dice) and min/max ranges as I see fit to better reflect WEG-published fluff, my SWU, or my house rules. For example, here are my Duros stats (which include commentary on some of my changes to RAW).

If anyone else wants to finesse the 1e average/typical stats above that do not exactly conform to the 2e stats and share your adjusted ones here, be my guest. If you do, for clarity's sake please use a quote block with the 1e stats and my note underneath them for each species. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: