The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle Shields on a Parked Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

Today in "MrNexx has been Listening a Star Wars Novel"

Do parked ships have their particle shields? If one were to say, crash a ship into a parked ship (vague enough that it avoids spoilers, I think), does the parked ship roll its "With shields" Hull dice or its "Without shields" hull dice?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that if the ship is parked, then its systems, including its shields will be powered down. So I'm thinking it will roll its "without shields" Hull dice.

But that's just me.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it powered down or not. Thats the main question. If not completely powered down, then i can see arguments for the particle shields to still be up. However if it's completely powered off, then the particle shields are also off.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat it like the car radio:

If you're parked and the car is turned off, your radio is turned off.

If you're parked and the car is in "start" or you've actually turned the engine over, then you could be running the radio, but you're either draining the battery or burning fuel while you idle.

So, a parked ship probably has its shields off. You could, of course, turn them on by choice, but you're draining some kind of power source, or the ship is fully powered up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends heavily on A) how particle shields function, and B) what is meant by powered down.

If particle shields are essentially an inner, secondary layer of shields, then they would almost certainly need to be deactivated even before the ship landed. If, however, they are coterminous with the hull, like Trek structural integrity fields, then there would be no issue with leaving them on even while the ship was parked.

As far as powered down, if you are talking about a ship sitting in a docking bay and not moving, but with the reactor on standby and ready to take off on short notice, then yes, particle shields would still be operational. If, however, the ship is shut down completely, then naturally the particle shields would lose power as well. The only exception would be if the ship was connected to external source, such as a shore-power connection from a docking bay.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Today in "MrNexx has been Listening a Star Wars Novel"

Do parked ships have their particle shields? If one were to say, crash a ship into a parked ship (vague enough that it avoids spoilers, I think), does the parked ship roll its "With shields" Hull dice or its "Without shields" hull dice?

Probably powered down. Is landing even possible with particle shields on? How far does the shield bubble extend from the ship? Does it lay right on the hull, or does it reach out, putting the ship in a bubble, Star Trek like?

Is the shield even a bubble?

"Angle a deflector shield" sounds like a barrier is placed between the ship and incoming fire over an area of the ship--maybe not a bubble.

"Put your deflectors on, double front" sounds as if there are projectors on the ship that project a shield out between the ship and incoming fire.

My best guess to answer your question, without doing more research, would be to say, "Yes, a ship can land with particle shields on, but not the bottom of the ship. The shields would just be to the top of the craft (if there is room in the docking bay), as a particle shield would touch the ground if the craft were protected by particles shields to any side."

In the game, Shield attempts are operated like point defense weapons--like a laser projected to intercept an incoming missile. The character operating the shields must make one attempt per attack.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say, no it cannot have its particle shields on while parked.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the story, it is likely that the ships in question are at least in "pre-flight checklist" mode, and quite probably at least nominally on to precalculate the jump to lightspeed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This links to the thread i had about 'how long does it take to cold start/hot start a ship..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
"Angle a deflector shield" sounds like a barrier is placed between the ship and incoming fire over an area of the ship--maybe not a bubble.

"Put your deflectors on, double front" sounds as if there are projectors on the ship that project a shield out between the ship and incoming fire.

From a gaming standpoint, deflector shields are distinct from particle shields. Deflector shields are the "Shields" portion of a starship stat, while particle shields (per 2R&E) constitute 2D of a ship's Hull dice. IMU, I've thrown out WEG's ray shields / particle shields rule and gone with Deflectors and Nav Shields. After all, in the first films, "ray shields" are mentioned only in reference to the Death Star's exhaust port, while both the Falcon and the Y-Wings (the kinds of small craft that characters are most likely to operate) are specifically stated as being equipped with "deflectors".

My distinction between the two is that Deflectors are projected a short distance away from the ship's hull (which varies depending on ship size), and are used almost exclusively for combat or defense against specific events (asteroid showers, solar flares, etc), while navigation shields are much closer to the hull, but at a variable distance. By this I mean that, for normal operations, nav shields are coterminous with the hull itself, but under certain conditions, they are pushed out a short distance from the hull. This is primarily utilized in atmosphere, with the navigation shields creating a low-drag "virtual solid" shape around a ship, especially a particularly unaerodynamic ship (which covers most ships in the SWU).

Also, the word "Deflect" has some interesting connotations:
Quote:
cause (something) to change direction by interposing something; turn aside from a straight course.
"the bullet was deflected harmlessly into the ceiling"
synonyms: turn aside/away, divert, avert, sidetrack; More
(of an object) change direction after hitting something.
"the ball deflected off his body"
synonyms: bounce, glance, ricochet, carom; More
cause (someone) to deviate from an intended purpose.
"she refused to be deflected from anything she had set her mind on"
I've always pictured shields as being a pure energy vs. energy contest. But what if Shields could be "angled" to be more effective? To redirect an attack to one side or the other, rather than simply soaking it?

What if a good Shields roll could increase the effectiveness of a ship's Shield dice?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
This links to the thread i had about 'how long does it take to cold start/hot start a ship..

Providing the link would be helpful...

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

Quote:
But what if Shields could be "angled" to be more effective? To redirect an attack to one side or the other, rather than simply soaking it?

What if a good Shields roll could increase the effectiveness of a ship's Shield dice?

Precisely how I work it I my game.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Quote:
But what if Shields could be "angled" to be more effective? To redirect an attack to one side or the other, rather than simply soaking it?

...and? Please share?

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Particle Shields on a Parked Ship Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Quote:

...and? Please share?

A character with a very good skill in shields can increase the effectiveness.

My system is several degrees separated from RAW, so the game system I use is different, but the concept is precisely the same.

(I have a number of 'Talents and techniques --D&D style feats-- linked to different skills. Two of them linked to shields are

Angle Deflectors
Learn Difficulty:10 Skill: Shields

The user can increase the effectiveness of the vessels shields. For every full shield die, add +1 pip.
Example: Shields of 2D become 2D+2
Shields of 3D+1 become 3D+4

Overlap shields
Learn Difficulty:10 Skill: Shields
Normally shields protect in all directions. Use of this technique will reduce power in one direction and increase in another.
Available arcs: Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard.
+1D shield in 1 arc, -2D in all others.
or
+2D shield dice in 1 arc, no shields in all others.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacking a talent system, I'd probably just tie it to the character's skill roll, using the RoE optional damage rule: Add +1 to the Shields roll for every 3 points by which the roll beat the Difficulty, with modifiers to Difficulty based on how many arcs are being attacked during the round. There could even be a penalty based on a failed roll: -1 to Shield dice for every 3 points by which the roll failed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: