The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Golan Defense Platforms (My D6 extrapolated stats)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Golan Defense Platforms (My D6 extrapolated stats)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Golan Defense Platforms (My D6 extrapolated stats) Reply with quote

So after seeing the Golan I depicted in the FFG book Fly Casual and noticing that some of the crew, passenger/troop, starfighter complement and cost stats are not quitethe same. I took it upon myself to see if I could extrapolate updated D6 stats for both the Golan II and Golan III using the stuff from Fly Casual. Most everything is the same from The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook, but the stats I changed are crew, passenger/troop, starfighter complement and cost stats, so pay extra attention to those. Here's what I came up with:

Golan I Space Defense Station
Craft: Golan Space Defenses SpaceGun
Type: Systems Defense Platform
Scale: Capital
Length: 1,231 meters
Crew: 5,000, gunners: 112
Crew Skill: Capital ship gunnery 5D, capital ship shields 5D
Passengers: 10,000 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 5,000 metric tons
Consumables: 2 years
Cost: 26 million credits
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 25/OD
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 75/2D
Focus: 3/2D+1
Weapons:
28 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 3
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control. 2D
Space Range: 1-5/8/14
Damage: 4D+2
5 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Crew: 2
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Damage: 7D
6 Tractor Beam Projectors
Space Range: 1-5/10/15
Damage: 4D
Small Craft Complement: Twenty-four TIE series starfighters, four patrol boats, and four shuttles
Capsule: A very large, heavily armed and armored space platform, the Golan I is the first in a series of planetary space defense platforms built by Golan Arms. Designed to protect planets and important locations, the Golan I was developed during the Clone Wars to free up naval vessels for the war effort. While unable to contend with the overwhelming firepower of modern battle cruisers and Star Destroyers, the Golan I is more than a match for smaller capital vessels such as corvettes, frigates, and light cruisers, and its complement of starfighters and patrol ships can contend with starfighters and fast attack craft.
Since being surpassed by the larger, and much more heavily armed, Golan II and Golan III defense platforms (dozens of which can be found in orbit around Coruscant and other important Core Worlds), the Golan I has been largely relegated to protecting less critical planets and locations of secondary importance. The Imperial Customs Service acquired many of these space platforms, as well as several of their larger cousins, to serve as systems stations, coordinating operations for their ships and personnel across a wide area. Stationed in orbit around planets or along busy hyperlane routes, these stations monitor the flow of goods and traffic through their jurisdiction.
Sources: The Thrawn Trilogy, p. 217, annotated with data from FFG-Fly Casual, p. 61

Golan II Space Defense Station
Craft: Golan II Space Defense SpaceGun
Length: 2,158 meters
Crew: 8,700, gunners: 149
Crew Skill: Capital starship gunnery 5D, capital starship shields 6D+2
Passengers: 17,400 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 10,000 metric tons
Consumables: 3 years
Cost: 52 million credits
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 35/0D
Scan:60/1D
Search: 100/2D
Weapons:
35 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Control: 2D+1
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Damage: 5D
10 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Scale: Starfighter
Damage: 9D
8 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Damage: 6D
Small Craft Complement: Forty-eight TIE series starfighters, eight patrol boats, and eight shuttles
Capsule: Golan space defense platforms are some of the more remarkable pieces of space hardware in existence.
The Golan II was the successor to the original Golan platform, which was judged to be insufficiently powerful to counter the threat of larger ships such as Star Destroyers. Though the Golan II was based on the same general principles of design and function, the hull was built with a unique crossbeam structure to increase the station's durability, and more efficient power generators allowed for a significant increase in shield power.
The Golan II platform is designed for repelling starfighter and light capital combat starship assaults. It has been modestly up-gunned from the original design, but has a much more efficient power generation system, giving it greater shield power. It has 35 turbolaser batteries, 10 proton torpedo launchers and eight tractor beam emplacements, making it a match for most ships. The unique "crossbeam" structure of the hull makes it capable of absorbing a great deal of punishment. It also has a hangar bay capable of holding at least four squadrons of starfighters for additional defense.
Sources: The Thrawn Trilogy, p. 217, annotated with data extrapolated from FFG-Fly Casual, p. 61

Golan III Space Defense Station
Craft: Golan III Space Defense NovaGun
Length: 2,600 meters
Crew: 10,500, gunners: 243
Crew Skill: Capital starship gunnery 5D, capital starship shields 6D+2
Passengers: 21,000 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 15,000 metric tons
Consumables: 4 years
Cost: 55 million credits
Hull: 5D+2
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive: 35/0D
Scan: 60/1D
Search: 100/2D
Weapons:
50 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Control: 2D+1
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Damage: 5D
24 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Scale: Starfighter
Damage: 9D
15 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Damage: 6D
Small Craft Complement: Sixty TIE series starfighters, ten patrol boats, and ten shuttles
Capsule: Golan space defense platforms are some of the more remarkable pieces of space hardware in existence.
The Golan III station is a much more powerful defense station than its predecessors and is geared towards defending military installations and vital civilian facilities. It has 50 turbolaser batteries, 22 proton torpedo launchers and 15 tractor beam emplacements and is the largest platform Golan Arms manufactures. It also has a hangar bay capable of holding at least five squadrons of starfighters for additional defense.
Golan III platforms were assigned to the most valuable locations in the galaxy. One notable use of Golan III platforms was their deployment as scanner stations in the Byss Security Zone, working in concert with Allegiance-class battlecruisers.
They were also stationed above many other valuable worlds, such as Zhar system, Coruscant and Muunilinst, remaining in use through the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War and beyond.
Sources: The Thrawn Trilogy, p. 217, annotated with data extrapolated from FFG-Fly Casual, p. 61

What do you guys think?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having read Fly Casual, I can't really comment on the accuracy of the changes, apart from agreeing they were necessary. The stats for the Golan series is, IMO, just one more example of WEG screwing up. Notably, the III needs to be tough enough to match or exceed the combined damage capacity of three ISD II's, which is what Thrawn sent against each of them at the Battle of Coruscant.

I'd suggest adding some form of anti-starfighter weaponry, and converting the proton torpedoes launchers to capital scale, since they aren't much use for anti-starfighter defense and only do 3D Capital Scale damage with basically no range.

If I ever do get around to restatting them to my tastes, I plan on making them either Destroyer or Dreadnought scale, as well as revamping theiron weapon systems.

Considering their immobility, I could also see giving them backup shield dice, ala Monday Cal cruisers...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparative purposes, here is the Rendili Space Platform used for the occupation of Derilyn in the Elrood Sector. It's waaay tougher than the Golan III, better armed, and carries a double wing of TIEs. Stats-wise, and money being no object (which would be true of the Empire defending its capital planet), three Rendili Space Platforms would be a better choice than three Golan III's.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I switched the torpedo launchers to capital scale and I made the Golan I into Capital (destroyer) scale. The Golan II and III I made Capital (Dreadnought) scale.

What sort and number of anti-starfighter weapons would you reccommend, CRM?

Oh, and would the tractor beams be capital scale as well? I made sure to add that little detail to the tractor beams as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ok, I switched the torpedo launchers to capital scale and I made the Golan I into Capital (destroyer) scale. The Golan II and III I made Capital (Dreadnought) scale.

What sort and number of anti-starfighter weapons would you recommend, CRM?

I'd go with dual- or quad-lasers in equal amounts as the turbolaser batteries.

Bear in mind, if you're going with my scale system, you're going to need to specify Frigate or Destroyer-Scale on the turbos and pro-torps, as well...

Quote:
Oh, and would the tractor beams be capital scale as well? I made sure to add that little detail to the tractor beams as well.

For simplicity's sake (and to keep from having multiple types of tractor beams in every state block), I went with the idea that a tractor beam projector could reconfigure the beam between scales by widening the focus of the beam, effectively changing scales depending on the target.

In this case, I'd say the tractor beam projectors are Destroyer-Scale, but can shift down to Frigate or Starfighter, with the shift requiring one round during which the projector can't be fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: