The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Little Guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Little Guys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: The Little Guys Reply with quote

As GM, I find myself tapping into that Star Wars humor in games through using some of the strangest aliens.

In one of my long campaigns, we had this drawn out blaster fight in a town square on a world. It wasn't going well for the players, and the longer they took, the more likely the Imperials would bring in reinforcements.

With the PCs trapped in a dead-end alley, one of the players was struck with an idea. "Hey," he said. "There's tons of pedestrians around here. The universe is in a state of rebellion. Is there not a single one of them that sees what's going on and decides to take some action to help us?"

"It's unlikely," I replied, "as anyone can see that it's not going well for you. The Imperials have you boxed up with no where to go but through them. All they've got to do now is wait for reinforcements to show up, and you're toast."

"Yeah," the player said, "time is running out for us. I'm going to give it a try. I'll step to the corner of the alley, using 100% cover, but yelling as loud as I can."

Quote:
People of Meshii! We are with the Rebel Alliance! Rise up against your oppressors NOW! Before it is too late! Before your opportunity to help us turns into a regret that you'll carry with you your entire lives!

Well, I thought that was a pretty speech. Kudos to the player for a good idea roleplayed well.

I gave him a dice roll to see if it worked. The roll still was not an easy one, and it certainly wasn't in his favor, but I guess the Force was with him. He made the roll!

So, I had to make up a character, on the spot, that would stand out in the crowd and help out the PCs.

For whatever reason, I thought of a Squib.

Small, little blue-haired b@st@rd*. Short in stature. Big in personality.

"Alright! Alright! ALRIGHT!'" The PCs hear this coming from the crowd that was hidden in the shops and nooks behind the Imperials that had trapped the party. This, small, fox-looking alien squeezes out from behind a fallen column from a storefront.

"I'm sick and damned tired," it said, it's voice getting louder and louder, "of all these blaster bolts flying about, knocking down columns, the Imperials shootin' at the Rebels, the Rebels shooting back at the Imperials. It's so damn mad that a being can't even take a walk in town anymore for fear of getting caught by a blaster bolt!"

"I'm fed up!" It said. "FED UP!"

Then it raised it's small blaster, two handed, pointed at the backs of the Imperials, and let loose, "Die Imperial Scum! DIE!"

And, with each shot, the Squib is all animated, blood thirsty, screaming DIE! every time he pulls the trigger.

It worked! Some of the populace helps out! The next thing the Imperials know, they're in a crossfire between the Rebels and the civies from the crowd behind them.

With the Imperials dead, the Rebels make their escape--with this little Squib joining them!

Isn't that awesome when a quickly made up character becomes a fairly major character in your game?

It was cool.

After this introduction, this Squib turned into quite a character in the party. He was riding high on getting the Rebels out of a jam, and he told everybody about it, whether they'd listen or not.

His name was Skrun. If you called it out, he'd whip around real quick, draw on you, but hold his fire. "Watch it!" He's say, indicating his blaster. "I'm not liable for what I'll do if you sneak up on me. Be careful."

The little guy acted like he was the quickest draw in the galaxy. His chest puffed out, he was the savior. He's the guy who saved the PC party. He's the ONE! And, he didn't let anybody forget it.

Man, we had some good times with this character. I kept him as an NPC until he left the group. Every time he'd speak, I'd have the players laughing.

They grew to really dig this guy.

He was a pure enjoyment.

Last edited by Wajeb Deb Kaadeb on Sun May 21, 2017 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is well and truly awesome. Beware the Silly Ones indeed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the pc popped a FP to make that persuasion roll.. But even if he didn't, man that sounded heroic as heck.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I take it the pc popped a FP to make that persuasion roll.. But even if he didn't, man that sounded heroic as heck.

Nope, no FPs used in that encounter. But, we were playing 2E R&E at the time. I'm sure CPs were used.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice PC speech. Short and sweet and good guy heroic.

And kudos to you for creating and playing an NPC Squibb who was more entertaining than annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: