The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
Bren: loved your answers, straight and to the point. Big thanks!
You are welcome.

Quote:
I've been thinking that if the mandalorian character gets a regular income of credits from the Rebellion, that other characters don't get, maybe he won't get Force Points back at the end of an adventure, as a way of balacing that out. Thoughts?
I wouldn't try to balance money and Force Points. Money usually isn't a central focus of Star Wars games or campaigns.* At most it tends to be a means to and end, i.e. it is a way to motivate materialistic characters (like Han) to bite on a given adventure hook.

* Tramp freighter campaigns may be sort of an exception. But even with GG6: Tramp Freighters the rules don't have any sort of comprehensive economic system that some RPGs (e.g. Traveller) have.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Instead, what I would do is cut his starting money. Apples and apples. Outfit him correctly so that the player really doesn't need to buy anything off-the-bat, then cut his starting money to 100 credits.

Then, allow the character to get his 100 credits a month from most starports.
Yes. I agree this is a much better solution than trying to link money and Force Points.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Just a nit-pick here...

The concept of "Force Sensitivity" came into the game with Second Edition. All characters receive 1 FP at the start, while those characters who are "Force Sensitive" start the game with 2 FPs.
I'm more familiar with 2E than 1E and can easily make a mistake like this. By all means correct any errors you see.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: A friendly reminder about PDFs of official publications Reply with quote

Arrow While we do discuss and share fan-created material here, it is official Rancor Pit policy to not share or even mention the availability of free bootleg PDFs of officially published books Exclamation

Also, we do not talk about Fight Club. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: A friendly reminder about PDFs of official publications Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Arrow While we do discuss and share fan-created material here, it is official Rancor Pit policy to not share or even mention the availability of free bootleg PDFs of officially published books Exclamation

Also, we do not talk about Fight Club. Thank you.

Thanks Whill. That's on me. Sorry about that. I'll watch it from now on.

I figured if Classic Adventures and REUP was posted, that there wasn't much difference.

But, I will respect your request in the future. Very Happy
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions Reply with quote

So, I'm new to the game as well, but experienced with RPGs, and steeped in Star Wars fandom. That said, I think you can puzzle your way through some of the questions you pose.

Quote:
1. So according to the rules, every character begins with a Force Point, and the manual speaks about the character "trusting the force" to use it. I was wondering if people have a better way to explain the application of this rule (which works as a story element in the game) for Han Solo type characters who are cynical about the force and don't really trust it. Should the use of the force just represent their "heoric luck"? In that case, is it the character or the player who is really invoking the help of the force? Should a character cynical about the force be unaware of its influence? The player might be the one deciding that the Force Point is being used, but the character is really unaware and just calls it luck. What I don't like so much about this is that it becomes kinda metagamy. What do most people do?

I would think an "in character" approach to this would be to simply take an "Alright...cross your fingers..." view of the expenditure of a Force Point. The character is still tapping into the Force in a sense, even if they don't acknowledge that themselves. Solo calls it "luck," but Obi-Wan knows better and knows that the Force is affecting even someone who doubts its existence. So, even the most "Doubting Solo" character will still be able to expend a Force point. It will simply depend on the character's attitude about how pulling off some extraordinary feat or longshot is explained. Luck, the Force, the benevolent and protective guidance of the Golden Skinned Lord (you know, if you're playing an Ewok), whatever.

Quote:
2. A player has expressed he wants to play a mandalorian. Is this in the spirit of the 1E game? I don't see any character templates for mandalorians. Of course I could allow it in my own game, but I'm trying to follow what the book proposes, at least at the start of the campaign. Would it make sense if he is a mercenary being paid by the Rebellion?

There's a fair bit of material out there now to cover the Mandalorians, without even requiring you to resort to the older "Legends" continuity (which, hey, feel free to do if you dig it). The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons both touch on the Mandalorians. Sabine Wren, for example, is a Mandalorian herself, and is part of the Ghost's Rebel cell (although, admittedly, I'm only partially through Season 2 there, so I have no idea what happens later). You could always look to those for inspiration.

Quote:
3. Is the default era of 1E play the time between ANH and ESB?

While the game may be supposed to be set there, I think you could stretch that back to a pre-ANH, post-ROTS era. The major difficulty would be doing things like statting out ships and equipment of that era, but if you rely on the stats for the ANH-era ships and stuff, you could probably work it backwards to fit. Racial characteristics would still hold true, and you'd actually be maybe more excused in seeing a bunch of Jedi (Failed, Quixotic, or otherwise) and Force users running about in that timeframe.

Other folks may have already come up with templates and stats for characters from these eras, but there's no need to rely on that if you have access to 1e era sourcebook material and can use character templates from that as a baseline from which to work.

One of the things I'm really digging about this system while reading through the rule books is just how adaptable it looks like it can be if you know the source material well enough to adapt it. The sourcebooks out there are great, but, like, there's no reason you can't come up with your own stats for generic Chiss and for Thrawn specifically, even if you don't have a copy of the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebooks.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick one. Can lightsaber swings be dodged?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
Quick one. Can lightsaber swings be dodged?

No melee weapon can be Dodged. Only distance weapons, like arrows, or blaster bolts.

I would allow a thrown lightsaber to be Dodged.

Normally, melee weapons are parried with the Melee Parry skill. But lightsabers are a special case. Only another lightsaber can parry a lightsaber.

And, when a lightsaber is used to parry another melee weapon, the melee weapon may be destroyed. See page 49. Also see page 71.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a lightsaber wielder at melee range always has a 20 difficulty to hit a enemy without a lightsaber, no matter what the enemy does, right?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
So a lightsaber wielder at melee range always has a 20 difficulty to hit a enemy without a lightsaber, no matter what the enemy does, right?

Lightsabers are weapons that must be mastered to use properly. You didn't see Luke using it a lot (or at all, really) in ANH, did you? No, he used his Blaster while the saber hung from his belt.

The rules reflect this.

Yes, you are correct. The target number to use a lightsaber in melee is 20. But, also consider that the weapon cannot be parried, except by another lightsaber.

The high target number reflects that the saber can easily cut off the character's own leg with a swing as well as the enemy. Thus, the user must be extremely careful with it in battle.

That's easy to say if you just have the thing ignited and are waving it around, but in a real battle, with split second strokes, a lightsaber is a b**** to use.

And, once a lightsaber hits, it does massive damage. You do 5D damage plus your Control Code.

The skill used to attack is Lightsaber, a DEX blank skill.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I get it from the attackers perspective. I was just wondering if the guy at the receiving end of a lightsaber attack could do something as to be harder to hit. Like try to evade the swing or something.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
Yes, I get it from the attackers perspective. I was just wondering if the guy at the receiving end of a lightsaber attack could do something as to be harder to hit. Like try to evade the swing or something.

Not unless he's got a lightsaber.

The defender has got to hope that the lightsaber user is too inexperienced to use it. (Meaning, he can't roll the 20 required to hit.)

I believe, in one of the rule sets--somewhere, I forget where--there's a penalty for using a lightsaber. You can hurt yourself if you roll low enough.

The lesson, though is this: See a lightsaber? Run. Keep your distance. Kill 'em with blaster fire.

Remember how, in D&D, the players would all attack the enemy in robes first? Kill the mage! Same thing here. Kill the dude with the glowing sword.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improving Skills: Suppose you have a character with Dexterity 4D and Blaster 2D (total: 6D). To improve his total Blaster dice to 6D+1, does he need 2 skill points, or 6?

In other words, is the improvement cost calculated observing Attribute + Skill totals, o just Skill?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
Improving Skills: Suppose you have a character with Dexterity 4D and Blaster 2D (total: 6D). To improve his total Blaster dice to 6D+1, does he need 2 skill points, or 6?

In other words, is the improvement cost calculated observing Attribute + Skill totals, o just Skill?

It costs 6 skill points. The skill is Blaster 6D (not Blaster 2D).
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And every 6 skills points, that blaster skill would improve just by 1 pip, right? 18 skill points to advance a skill from 6D to 7D.

We finished the session halfway through the Tatooine Manhunt adventure. Since the module recommends to award between 5 and 10 skill points for completing the adventure, I awarded 5 skills point this session and will award the other 5 at the end of next session, where I believe the module will be completed.

One of the players was saying the award was feeling kinda low. I told him I was just going by what the book recommended (between 5 and 10 for the whole adventure, and I was actually going for the max award). Which further arguments could I give this player to convince him that this ratio of advancement is OK? I told him that if characters advanced too quickly, their story would be much shorter. As he had enjoyed the game a lot, this was quite convincing.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
And every 6 skills points, that blaster skill would improve just by 1 pip, right? 18 skill points to advance a skill from 6D to 7D.

We finished the session halfway through the Tatooine Manhunt adventure. Since the module recommends to award between 5 and 10 skill points for completing the adventure, I awarded 5 skills point this session and will award the other 5 at the end of next session, where I believe the module will be completed.

One of the players was saying the award was feeling kinda low. I told him I was just going by what the book recommended (between 5 and 10 for the whole adventure, and I was actually going for the max award). Which further arguments could I give this player to convince him that this ratio of advancement is OK? I told him that if characters advanced too quickly, their story would be much shorter. As he had enjoyed the game a lot, this was quite convincing.
The question of how many character points people award on adventures comes up every now and again.

Here is how I have awarded CPs in the past and here and here are two other threads on the awarding Character Points.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait to the end of the adventure. Once you start awarding CP's early, you can't go back. You can't give the players something, then take it away.

My rule: Always play a game as written until you complete understand it and have experience with it. Then you can start to change things.

At this point, you can tell the group that you mis-read the rules. Let them keep their 5 skill points now. But, in the future, award at the end of the session. Get the players used to that.

Remind the players that this isn't D&D. You don't get tons and tons of XP. You get a handful of skill points at the end of the adventure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: