The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Because of the Moff's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Because of the Moff's Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Because of the Moff's Reply with quote

I'm reading the first X-Wing novel, and there's an interesting part that legitimizes the continuing fight with the Empire after Endor. Two points are made. First, that the victory at Endor was not the end of the war. The Empire did not fall (and, I believe in the book, that Coruscant is still in Imperial hands at this time). But, the death of Vader and the Emperor was a crippling blow. Lots of systems that were too afraid to join the Rebels came out of the closet once the news from Endor spread, so the Alliance got stronger.

And, the Alliance had enough systems to formally switch from the Rebel Alliance Against the Empire to the New Republic, politically. The Rebels could stop scurrying around, hiding all the time, and declare themselves a legitimate government.

The second point made has to do with the Moff's. Palpatine disbanded the Imperial Senate and gave control to the local governors--the Moff's. We heard Tarkin say as much in ANH.

Well, this has both helped and hurt the Rebel effort.

On the one hand, although struck hard with the Emperor's death, the rest of the empire didn't just say, "OK, let's go home." They still considered themselves the Empire with a vacancy for Emperor. The Empire is alive and well after Endor.

On the other hand, the Moff's all scrambled for power. The centralized Imperial government took a blow, and many of the Moff's basically became warlords. They even fought amongst themselves.

So, while a stable Empire could have rebounded from the defeat at Endor, gathered their forced, and pressed forward against the Rebels, they didn't. Because they couldn't agree to who was in charge. Besides Vader, Palpatine left no logical successor. He planned to be around a lot longer than he was.

The Moff's, instead of banding together and wiping out the Rebels once and for all, instead consolidated their individual power--each Moff looking to lock up his own territory, each king of his own hill. Each wanting more.

This allowed the Rebel Alliance to grow, consolidate their power, and declare themselves a legitimate government.

It's an interesting take.

One that I quite like. Because it makes sense.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In essence, GALACTIC BALKANIZATION.

It's what I always assumed would have gone down. I've traditionally ignored everything in the EU that was post-Endor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkanization
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. If I ever get a campaign that runs past Endor I'll probably use this.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in Legends continuity, the Galactic Civil War (the First one, anyway Razz ) lasted until 19 ABY when the Imperial Remnant sued for peace with the New Republic. Before then, there were alot of Imperial warlords with really grandiose titles like Supreme Admiral, High Commander, Grand Warlord and more, all trying to benefit from the feeding frenzy. It didn't stop until Daala invited them all to a unity meeting and tried to appeal to their best interests by establishing some kind of order and hierarchy.

Of course, it didn't work, so she killed them all and took over. Eventually, when she suffered too many defeats, she willingly relinquished her control to Pellaeon. That was probably one of only two peaceful changeovers of power in the Imperial Remnant (the other being when Jagged Fel was made head of state of the Imperial Remnant at the end of the Second Galactic Civil War).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To an extent, I'll point out that this is actually the new canon, as well. Star Wars: Uprising was billed as a canon game set post RotJ. In it, the governor of the Anoat sector (including Hoth, Anoat, and Bespin, as well as some other systems) clamps down on news of the Emperor's death and blockades the sector with his fleet (consisting of a truly obscene number of Star Destroyers, from in-game evidence).

I do miss that game.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Wajeb.

MrNexx wrote:
To an extent, I'll point out that this is actually the new canon, as well. Star Wars: Uprising was billed as a canon game set post RotJ. In it, the governor of the Anoat sector (including Hoth, Anoat, and Bespin, as well as some other systems) clamps down on news of the Emperor's death and blockades the sector with his fleet (consisting of a truly obscene number of Star Destroyers, from in-game evidence).

The "extent" that this is canon is only to 1 year after the Battle of Endor when the Empire surrenders to the New Republic. Then the Empire fades away and the Republic is largely demilitarized, which of course is to set up the Republic/Resistance vs. First Order conflict of the Sequel Trilogy. I'm not too concerned with the post-Endor time period at the moment, but my personal SWU will probably end up inspired by both the EU and the CU with my own stuff (different from both) thrown in.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read a few Star Wars novels back in the day, and when I did, my readings were sporadic. Strange, since it's been declared "Legends", I've found a new interest in those book, carrying on the story, post Jedi.

I'm in the last chapter of Zahn's The Last Command, and I've quite enjoyed it. Now, I'm starting Stackpole's first X-Wing novel, which is, so far, also quite good.

Zahn's trilogy and Stackpole's book has got me interested in reading all of the post-Jedi, pre-yuuzhan vong stuff. It is interesting how each book builds on the other.

For example, there is a mention of the Bakura incident in Stackpole's X-Wing novel, which happens before the X-Wing novels starts. I read Truce At Bakura back in the day, when it came out in hardback. But, I've long forgotten it. I read The Courtship of Princess Leia, too, and although I do remember a bit more about that book, a new reading would be like reading it fresh.

So, I'm going down that road, reading the early Star Wars EU books.

And, I've got to admit. So far, I'm quite liking what I'm reading.

Unlike the new Star Wars books I've read. I haven't read a single book yet that I thought matched those in the EU back in the day. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, people seem to like Bloodline, but that thing bored me to tears. I didn't like Cataclysm, either, the prequel to Rogue One.

I attempted Windig's Aftermath--the first book in the trilogy--but I couldn't get through it. Boring, boring, boring!

I'm going to try Captain Phasma, The Guardian of the Whills, Rebel Rising, and Thrawn at some point--probably sooner rather than later--but these other books I've read are not whetting the whistle for those reads. Not when I'm enjoying reading the old EU stuff.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing...as to Stackpole's X-Wing novel. Man! I just read the chapter where Wedge inspects his X-Wing, then takes it out to meet the other Rogues on their training run. I have never read a passage that so well describes what piloting an X-Wing must be like. Stockpole brought it home. He made it real.

I was there, man! I was there!

I had the stick between my legs. I was flipping read-outs and watching the display for R5's communication with me. I could hear the whine of the ship as I sat in that cockpit.

It's the little details that bring this book alive. Like Wedge describing how he likes the cockpit to be set at 0.5G. Different pilots like different settings. Porkins always liked his cockpit setting on full. He wanted to feel it. And, Wedge thinks that this is what led to his death against the Death Star.

Remember, Porkins was the one, diving for the surface of the DS, saying all the time, "I can hold it! I can hold!"

He didn't hold it.

I haven't really read enough of the book yet to make a firm decision, but I'll tell you this. I like what I've read enough so that I got on eBay and bought the entire X-Wing series.

I won't read them all back-to-back. I've never been able to do that. I can read about three books in a genre/series, then I need to read something else for a while.

But, I'll get to 'em.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
One more thing...as to Stackpole's X-Wing novel. Man! I just read the chapter where Wedge inspects his X-Wing, then takes it out to meet the other Rogues on their training run. I have never read a passage that so well describes what piloting an X-Wing must be like. Stockpole brought it home. He made it real.
I really like the X-Wing series, especially the first four books.

The only downside is that proton torpedoes in the books behave nothing like proton torps in the WEG rules. Crying or Very sad
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I really like the X-Wing series, especially the first four books.

The only downside is that proton torpedoes in the books behave nothing like proton torps in the WEG rules. Crying or Very sad

Try this. I used the missiles and torpedoes from the X-Wings game and novels to build the rules.

As far as the OP, it leaves me wondering, up to what point in the post-Endor Legends continuity can we still conceivably fit with TFA? The X-Wing novels are still a good fit, and the Thrawn Trilogy is still a possibility with some modification (replace Jacen and Jaina with Ben). Dark Empire, the Truce at Bakura, and the Courtship of Princess Leia I won't particularly miss. What else?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Try this. I used the missiles and torpedoes from the X-Wings game and novels to build the rules.
Thanks CR. Very Happy That should work. I don't remember all those variants in the books. Do the games include all the variants, i.e.

Standard Concussion Missile, Advanced Concussion Missile, Intercept Concussion Missile, Stalker Concussion Missile, Concussion Rocket, Savant Concussion Missile

and

Standard Proton Torpedo, Advanced Proton Torpedo, Intercept Proton Torpedo, Stalker Proton Torpedo, Proton Rocket, Savant Proton Torpedo?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what's there is a mix of both WEG weapons and the ones from the X-Wing / TIE Fighter video games.

Standard and Advanced ProTorps and ConcMissiles are direct portovers from the video games, then I used the WEG standard Proton Torpedo as the Heavy Rocket (then did the same for Concussion Missiles to give them some alternative punch). Rules for inertial space bombs (also from the video games) can be found further down.

Everything else is new, an extrapolation of possible tech, with some WEG ideas like the Savant missiles thrown in for fun. There's a LOT of starfighter oriented stuff in there; decoys, external pods, anti-ship torpedoes, etc.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

The games also had MagPulse torpedoes, which basically inflicted ion damage. However, with the advent of ion torpedoes in Rogue One, I renamed them. If I think of any others, I'll let you know. Pretty much every ordnance and weapon idea from the video games is in there, along with a lot of others.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Elaborate, please! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: