The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber & Blaster Musketeer-style Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsaber & Blaster Musketeer-style Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber & Blaster Musketeer-style Discussion Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been discussed anywhere previously, but has anyone ever made house rules for this form of combat, specifically a Jedi or Sith wielding a lightsaber in one hand and a blaster in the other? After reading up on Lightsaber Forms on Wookieepedia, I didn't see a single word on this style of fighting. In fact, in none of the Star Wars media, with the exception of Ezra Bridger in Rebels, have I ever seen this style used.

How would such a style work, what could it be called and should this thread be folded into the "Dual-Weapon" thread or stand on its own here?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, i see it as seen as a style not USED by jedi, but maybe by some weird off shoot force using tradition. And to ME it would be a variant of dual weapon style..
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for Jedi, but in the SAGA edition source book for the force unleashed there was a talent to do exactly this. If you had a melee weapon in one hand and a blaster in the other, if you attacked with the melee weapon you could take a free action to attack with the blaster.

But I don't know how you could translate that into D6. Maybe make it something like the custom martial arts rule in the D6 rules of engagement specforce handbook.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that WEG placed too much importance on the lightsaber when maping out the rules for Force powers. Lightsaber combat provides bonuses far and above any other form of combat, yet there is no philosophical basis for it; a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him, not through his lightsaber.

My fix was to throw out Lightsaber Combat and fold the relevant portions into Combat Sense, with a bonus based on how well the character rolled to bring up the power. Using that rule, a Jedi could use Combat Sense with just about any weapon (or even just Brawling), which is more realistic for how the Force is portrayed in the EU.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My feeling is that WEG placed too much importance on the lightsaber when maping out the rules for Force powers. Lightsaber combat provides bonuses far and above any other form of combat, yet there is no philosophical basis for it; a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him, not through his lightsaber.

My fix was to throw out Lightsaber Combat and fold the relevant portions into Combat Sense, with a bonus based on how well the character rolled to bring up the power. Using that rule, a Jedi could use Combat Sense with just about any weapon (or even just Brawling), which is more realistic for how the Force is portrayed in the EU.

I don't disagree with you about Combat Sense helping Force characters with any weapon, but lightsabers were still special. No, not from a philosophical basis, but rather due to the physical properties of the Kyber crystals in all lightsabers.

Quote:
Kyber crystals were Force-attuned crystals that grew randomly throughout the galaxy, and occurred in abundance in some places more than others. The crystals concentrated energy in a unique manner through the Force, resonating with it.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there are a lot of ways that can be applied, but IMO, the disparity in effectiveness under WEG's rules between a Jedi with a lightsaber and a Jedi with pretty much anything else can't be explained away solely by "special crystals." I'd be more inclined to use a special rule:
    Force Attuned Weapon
    +2D when wielded by a Force Sensitive.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the entire thing makes more sense in the context of KOTOR or KOTOR2. If there's personal shields around that make things or people more resistant to lightsabers or other energy attacks, there might very well be a reason to use the occasional ranged weapon in an off-hand - for instance something like a Morellian .48 Enforcer.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber & Blaster Musketeer-style Discussion Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
How would such a style work, what could it be called and should this thread be folded into the "Dual-Weapon" thread or stand on its own here?

Ever seen Equilibrium?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good film on the visuals and cinematography, sucky on the plot..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Good film on the visuals and cinematography, sucky on the plot..

Agreed, but the use of pistols in martial arts was a lot of fun to watch.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultraviolet, with Milla, had much the same style - but the martial arts instructor had a background in soft martial arts (as opposed to Equilibrium's hard martial arts), so it is 'smoother'. I believe I once read an interview which stated that Ultraviolet was closer to the vision of gun kata than Equilibrium was (Kurt Wimmer was writer and director of both movies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OT1gcO2urM

Ultraviolet isn't a particularly good movie per se, but it does have some entertaining visuals and an intriguing vision of the future.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the ONLY Mila Jovitch films i will NEVER again watch..

BLEGHHHH
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I missed this thread.....

To get back to the OP's question, I think the first issue to address is what other house rules you use.

Solving the dual wield delimma is tricky enough in D6. Mixing ranged and melee combat into one style adds an additional layer to the issue, I think.

When it comes to actions, I've seen it done two ways. The way you run your combat sequence will affect the value of "free" actions.

The first way is likke RAW: in initiative order, all players perform one action per round, and the sequence repeats until the last declared action is performed by whoever declared the most actions).

The other way I've seen it is that each player acts once each round, performing all declared actions on his turn.

Getting additional actions means more if you use the first method, ESPECIALLY if you allow the additional action to happen at the same turn (i.e. two actions at once), EVEN IF you impose a MAP.

OTOH, if you use the second way, the only way to make extra actions worthwhile is to eliminate the MAP, OR to augment the results of the actions if they are performed "together" (imposing MAPS, but dealing more damage than either weapon could do onits own, for example).

Anyway, I see this as a means to get around the typical action economy in D6.

Some ideas if you want to make this a "style" with specific benefits:
When deflecting blasters, the Jedi may also fire his blaster at the same target. Instead of rolling damage seperately, roll damage for the more powerful weapon with a +1D bonus.

The character may attack two separate targets at the same time: one in melee, on with the blaster.

The character may force a fellow Jedi/Sith to use his dodge skill to avoid being shot by "tieing up" his opponent's lightsaber with his own. If the attack roll is at least 5 over the parry roll, then the character may make a second attack with the blaster. The opponent must use the dodge skill (and take a MAP) instead of the lightsaber combat parry.

Ummm... what else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: