The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enhancing Move Distance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Enhancing Move Distance Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Enhancing Move Distance Reply with quote

Per the RAW, a character may not have a Move higher than his species maximum. For humans, that's 12. Unfortunately, this doesn't fly in the real world; Usain Bolt would need a Move of 13+ to set his world record 100-meter time of 9.58 seconds.

What I'm thinking is allowing a character who beats the Running Difficulty to travel 1 additional meter for every 5 points of success over the TN.

So a character with Running 9D, running at All-Out on Very Easy Terrain (Easy Difficulty), such as a track, rolls a 35, beating the Difficulty by 25 points, thus adding an additional 5 meters to the distance he covers that round.

I'm just spit-balling this at the moment, but figured I'd get it in writing and get people thinking about it.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so he is moving at an average of 37.58 kph for 100 meters. This is 10.44 meters a second 52.19 meters a round. An average human can run 40 meters a round and an above average at 48 meters a round. Usain Bolt is certainly not average nor is he above average, he is friggin super-human. I think a player running 40-48 meters a round compared to Usain at 52 meters a round is pretty darn comparable.

An idea you can use it: 1/2 Move, Move, Move+1D, and Move+2D. Quick and easy.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope never to need rules that are sufficiently mechanically detailed to correctly model my plodding jog and Usain Bolt's lighting sprint.

Have you had players who actually spent the CPs to improve their Move?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I hope never to need rules that are sufficiently mechanically detailed to correctly model my plodding jog and Usain Bolt's lighting sprint.

You jog? When I move more than a walk, the US Geological Survey people call my cell phone and politely ask me to stop, I am messing up their measurements.

Bren wrote:

Nope, but apparently, Chuck feels there is a hole in the system that desperately requires a fix! Mu-hahahah.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Bren wrote:

You jog? When I move more than a walk, the US Geological Survey people call my cell phone and politely ask me to stop, I am messing up their measurements.

LOL, Womprats got jokes.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Per the RAW, a character may not have a Move higher than his species maximum. For humans, that's 12. Unfortunately, this doesn't fly in the real world; Usain Bolt would need a Move of 13+ to set his world record 100-meter time of 9.58 seconds.

What I'm thinking is allowing a character who beats the Running Difficulty to travel 1 additional meter for every 5 points of success over the TN.

So a character with Running 9D, running at All-Out on Very Easy Terrain (Easy Difficulty), such as a track, rolls a 35, beating the Difficulty by 25 points, thus adding an additional 5 meters to the distance he covers that round.

I'm just spit-balling this at the moment, but figured I'd get it in writing and get people thinking about it.

Thoughts?

And as others have said, though I usually treat such situations informally, using relative distances and ranges -- with particularly good running rolls allowing the character moving all-out to make it beyond their 40 meter distance by a hair, I like your 1m/+5 over rule a lot already. It's clean and in keeping w/ other Optional Rule mechanics suggested by WEG, like the "skill roll over -> damage bonus" option that I almost always use.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
You jog?
I have been known to do so...from time to time.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
You jog?
I have been known to do so...from time to time.

Me, I don't jog, I do fartleks.

...Hey, don't look at me like that! That's Swedish for "interval training!" I run at 20% of full speed for 2 minutes, then 80% for 30 seconds, then 20% for 1 minute, then I alternate between the two until 10 minutes are up then I do the 2 minute cooldown from 10 minutes to 12 minutes.

Now I have to restart my weight training regimen again. That last 6 pounds is always the hardest to lose.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Me, I don't jog, I do fartleks.
I remember fartleks. Laughing

I used something similar (a run-walk technique) about 15 years ago when I was doing double digit distance jogs.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Okay so he is moving at an average of 37.58 kph for 100 meters. This is 10.44 meters a second 52.19 meters a round. An average human can run 40 meters a round and an above average at 48 meters a round. Usain Bolt is certainly not average nor is he above average, he is friggin super-human. I think a player running 40-48 meters a round compared to Usain at 52 meters a round is pretty darn comparable.

By the WEG way of doing things, Bolt would be exceptional, but not superhuman. He would have a Move of 12, and a Running skill in the 9D-10D range (best out of a small group of planets or an entire Sector.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Never. But I am a big believer in rewarding characters who beat Difficulty by large amounts. In this case, the more tangible benefit would be in allowing characters to cover greater distances than 20 meters at Full Speed. Suppose an unarmed character needs to cover 30 meters in a round to get close enough to Brawl with some guards. An exceptionally high roll allowing the runner to add meters to his distance covered.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telsij wrote:
And as others have said, though I usually treat such situations informally, using relative distances and ranges -- with particularly good running rolls allowing the character moving all-out to make it beyond their 40 meter distance by a hair, I like your 1m/+5 over rule a lot already. It's clean and in keeping w/ other Optional Rule mechanics suggested by WEG, like the "skill roll over -> damage bonus" option that I almost always use.

That was my thinking, as well. In fact, I'd consider throwing out the option of improving the base Move (which, as Bren mentioned, I have never seen a PCS actually do), and just use this rule, so that if a character wishes to run faster / further, he has to improve his Running skill...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except in special circumstances* I don't see a need for rules to mechanically detail how far or fast in meters or seconds a PC can run based on their Running skill. But I don't want to rain on anyone else's rules crunch parade so I'll just bow out of this conversation.

* Special circumstances would be something like the PCs must win the planet Olympia's annual Baloonta Day race which is run on foot and the GM needs a way of using some die rolls to make a dramatically interesting race.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the most enjoyable character I've ever created was a galactic champion athlete... literally the fastest runner in the galaxy.

The amount CPs spent on athletic skills was staggering.

Absent a rule like this, the character concept cannot be sufficiently expressed by the rules.

Bren, have you considered that if there were no hard cap on movement distance that people might actually bother to increase their move speed? Imagine if D6 had sufficiently detailed movement rules to allow for things like charging attacks or epic chases...
As it is now, if two characters have different base move speeds, EVEN IF the slower one has 100D in running and the faster has just his Dex,as long as the "faster"beats the terrain difficulty, he will always outrun the "slower."

CRM, I like this notion. It redefines the running skill in an appropriate way.

If you really want to get nitpicky, you might even split the effects of running into two difderent skills: the Dex one for "balance when running" and a strength one for maximum all out speed. Stamina COULD be used here as a function of the character's ability to push hard long enough to do things like set a galactic record. It's not perfect, but since it is already based on Str, it won't "cost" anything in terms of character resources to be a true "runner."

The stamina difficulty would simply increase disproportionately the faster the character attempts to move, with all-out movement requiring a stamina check at the start of each successive round after the first, andfurther increasing for each previous check thatis successful.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Bren, have you considered that if there were no hard cap on movement distance that people might actually bother to increase their move speed? Imagine if D6 had sufficiently detailed movement rules to allow for things like charging attacks or epic chases...
As it is now, if two characters have different base move speeds, EVEN IF the slower one has 100D in running and the faster has just his Dex,as long as the "faster"beats the terrain difficulty, he will always outrun the "slower."
You could just revert to 1E rules where speed was a die code not a number. Then, just like vehicles, your effective speed would be your species speed die code + your running skill dice (the skill used for piloting yourself).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent recommendation.

Me? I TEND to prefer to limit randomization (especially in D6 wherein the core mechanic is massively random). I feel that faster people should invariably out run slower ones, just like stronger people should always out lift weaker ones (by way of example, I'd prefer a system that gives a standardized weight that can be lifted without rolling.. say, for every 1D you have in lifting, you can lift 10 lbs without rolling a skill check; attempting to lift more would require a check with a difficulty proportionate to the difference).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: