The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which is what i am trying to correct him on Mr Nexx. He doesn't need to say 'cant go all out, and -2 to their move rate, cause that's already taken into account with their -1d to their dex skill!

For like the third time, the armor does not give a -1D to all Dex-based skills, it gives a -1D to all ranged attacks!

During Episodes IV through VI I don't think we see a Stormtrooper mover faster than a light jog. The heroes always move faster than the Stormtroopers. As everyone has the same Move of 10 meters, it has to be something else.

Quote:
However, the (armor) plating made running difficult,..

To emulate Stormtroopers moving slower, I decided an easy -2 modifier to Move. This only amounts to 4 meters a round if everyone is moving at High Speed, and 6 meters if All-Out. To me the heroes were able to outrun the Stormtroopers much quicker than that. To emulate this, I decided Stormtroopers could not move at All-Out, using the citation above as validation. Yes, I suppose I could have just given them a difficulty modifier to All-Out movement, but that would require another few lines of explanation and a needlessly complicated rule, which can be handled by, Move -2, cannot move at All-Out speed. Simple, easy to follow, not too fiddly.

Finally, yes, in R1 we do see a mix of Shoretroopers and Stormtroopers moving quickly, definitely a fast jog to running, but certainly not all out.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't care whats in the books/novels or even films..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

You're wrong, but that hasn't stopped you in the past, so keep on believing it; I still don't care.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Finally, yes, in R1 we do see a mix of Shoretroopers and Stormtroopers moving quickly, definitely a fast jog to running, but certainly not all out.

Agreed.

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Which is what i am trying to correct him on Mr Nexx. He doesn't need to say 'cant go all out, and -2 to their move rate, cause that's already taken into account with their -1d to their dex skill!

For like the third time, the armor does not give a -1D to all Dex-based skills, it gives a -1D to all ranged attacks!

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

You're wrong, but that hasn't stopped you in the past, so keep on believing it; I still don't care.

Let's please not let this get out of hand. garhkal, it is fine if you don't agree but this is a house-rule. One of his mods is taking away the penalty to all Dex rolls and replacing it with a penalty to only certain kinds of Dex rolls. So the penalty to the movement roll is NOT already taken into consideration by this mod because there is no overall penalty to all Dex rolls. If you can't even acknowledge that alteration because it is too modified from RAW for you, then please take a break from this discussion. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, FWIW, I found your write up to be perfectly clear with respect to the movement rules and the attack roll penalties... but then... I read really slow, so I end up having time to process things before I get through it all.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Unfortunately SW has no scomp linking BTB..
West End Games wrote:
Macrobinoculars: Adds +3D to Perception or Search for objects 100-500 meters away. Scomp-linked into blaster rifle: reduces Range two levels.

-Special Edition Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, page 66.

If you are going "by the book", it helps if you actually read the book.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i've not had the movie trilogy sourcebook, i never KNEW that was in there.. So while 'wrong' that wrongness was cause of not knowing its around...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Since i've not had the movie trilogy sourcebook, i never KNEW that was in there.. So while 'wrong' that wrongness was cause of not knowing its around...

Does this also mean you don't have a copy of the 2E Star Wars Sourcebook? The same stat is listed in that book on page 141.

Or Galaxy Guide 3 (pg. 52-53)?

Or the Dark Empire Sourcebook (pg. 54)?

My point is that you are the forum's foremost practitioner of the "because WEG said so" defence, yet you just stated unequivocally that such tech does not exist in the WEG SWU, when no less than four different WEG-published books mention said tech by name.

So the next time you try to tell me something is or isn't possible in the SWU because it's "by the book", why should I believe you? How do I know you aren't substituting your personal view of the SWU for what WEG actually said?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original stat, there is a lot here that I like, as I have long felt stormtroopers needed to be a bit tougher than the human average. There are quite a few things here that I intend to poach for my own use.

However, when it comes to the armor, I have some issues. In general, it feels as though a lot of special rules were made up for this suit of armor alone (particularly removing the -1D to Dex penalty) that could have been resolved using existing armor rules or more generalized house rules.

A few thoughts:
    -IMO, the -1D to ranged weapons is too specific, and should also include a -1D to Perception. Recall Luke's whining on the Death Star; "I can't see a thing in this helmet." He wasn't shooting, he just couldn't see. It wasn't that he could see perfectly well until he tried to shoot, and then his vision was obscured. I'd also have this penalty only kick in when the security system trips, as the MFTAS would offset the helmet's vision penalties and provide it's own bonuses.

-I would go with just the -2 to Move, as this alone cuts the stormies' Move at Full Speed to 16 (to an unarmored character's 20). At All-Out, the number drops to 32 vs. 40.

-I would reinstate the -1D Dex penalty (which is already off-set by the +1D increase in the trooper's Dex stat), and pair it with a general rule for armor whereby there is a -2 Move penalty for every 1D of Dex penalty, but then include a rule that allows characters to reduce or negate the penalty over time.

-I like the idea of Stun being less effective against armor, but the impression I got from the write-up is that it stops it completely. I'd be more inclined to treat it as Physical damage for armor bonus purposes.

I've got a few more ideas, but I'm AFK at the moment, so I'll give it a more detailed treatment when I get home.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Does this also mean you don't have a copy of the 2E Star Wars Sourcebook? The same stat is listed in that book on page 141.

The 2e one, no. Got two copies of the old 1e one though..

CRMcNeill wrote:
Or Galaxy Guide 3 (pg. 52-53)?

Yes, but that's specifically listed under Boba Fett's Modified Mando armor stuff, ergo i always thought it was just specific to HIS Stuff.. Not a general thing.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Or the Dark Empire Sourcebook (pg. 54)?

Also mentioned under Fett's suit of armor. So again, is that just something for HIS armor only?

CRMcNeill wrote:

So the next time you try to tell me something is or isn't possible in the SWU because it's "by the book", why should I believe you? How do I know you aren't substituting your personal view of the SWU for what WEG actually said?

As you command your highnessness..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm not really surprised you took such a dull, myopic approach to the existence of such technology in the SWU. Never mind what its mere existence says about wireless data transfer; it's obvious that only Boba Fett can have this tech. Why? Because WEG only put it in his stats.

Rolling Eyes

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is more logical though.

A) Since they put it on just ONE special bad guy, showing how special he is, that therefore its NOT a standard or even rare thing other people can get. OR

B) since they put it on that one special baddie, it shows that everyone else should have it too. Even if in the dozens of books SINCE GG3 came out, not ONE other character in any of those books, even other heroes/main level baddies, had such tech?

To me, A is more logical.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's logical to me is that, since Boba Fett is a bounty hunter, not a computer engineer, he had to get the tech from somewhere else, and whoever else has that tech isn't just going to sell it once.

What is NOT logical is assuming that a single appearance in literature is an accurate demographic representation in-universe.

And anyway, how would you know? It's pretty obvious from this conversation that you either don't actually own all the WEG books or that you can't be bothered to read them. Why should your opinion on the matter concern me when you may just be making it up as you go along?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which is more logical though.

A) Since they put it on just ONE special bad guy, showing how special he is, that therefore its NOT a standard or even rare thing other people can get. OR

B) since they put it on that one special baddie, it shows that everyone else should have it too. Even if in the dozens of books SINCE GG3 came out, not ONE other character in any of those books, even other heroes/main level baddies, had such tech?

To me, A is more logical.

Boba Fett is not a special bad guy. He's slapstick comedy. And he's a clone like literally millions of aging stormtroopers. He was a cloned son of a real special baddie who never lived up to his father's legacy. He only looks like a special baddie, which only further emphasizes the joke that he really is.

I have no reason to think that this joke of a bounty hunter manufactured the tech in question himself, which means that it is not unique and other people could have it. There's a very wide range of possibilities between 'unique item' and 'everyone has it'.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's pretty obvious from this conversation that you either don't actually own all the WEG books or that you can't be bothered to read them. Why should your opinion on the matter concern me when you may just be making it up as you go along?

So someone who doesn't own all the books should just be quiet (polite way of saying it), since their opinion doesn't matter to you...

Got it. Don't bother looking for me to make any further comments on ANYTHING OF yours.. Assuming i even open the damn thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: