The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0 Reply with quote

There has been a lot of discussion on the Star Wars D6 discord server about buffing out Stormtroopers, so tossed some stats together. I was surprised to see how out-of-date the Stormtrooper armor was when comparing to the traditional WEG stats to what we know about the armor now. I am really looking forward to seeing your comments.

Quote:
Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 5D, (s) Blaster: rifle 6D, Brawling Parry 4D, Dodge 4D, Grenade 4D, Melee Combat 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Intimidation 3D, Survival 3D, Willpower 4D
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 3D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D, Stamina 3D
TECHNICAL 2D
Security 4D

Special Abilities:
--► Squad Tactics: Due to their training, Stormtrooper squads do not need to make a command roll to combine actions in combat.
Story Factors:
--► Authority by Fear: The visage of white Stormtrooper armor represents the emotionless, faceless might of the New Order (+1D modifier to intimidation skill checks).

Move: 8 (cannot All-Out move)
Character Points: 3-5

Equipment: Stormtrooper armor, utility belt, E-11 blaster rifle (5D), 2 stun grenades (6D stun) or 2 C-22 fragmentation grenades (5D), Imperial code key thermal detonator (6D).

Game Notes: Stormtroopers are typically armed with an E-11 blaster rifle, however they are also known to wield DLT-19 or DLT-20A. Depending on the mission, a single T-21 light repeater Less may be issued to a Stormtrooper squad.

--► BlasTech DLT-19 Heavy Blaster Rifle (Dmg: 5D, Rng: 5-50/180/350).
--► BlasTech DLT-20A Laser Rifle (Dmg: 5D+1, Rng: 4-35/110/280).
--► BlasTech T-21 Light Repeater (Dmg: 6D, Rng: 3-50/120/300, Ammo: 50).

Quote:
Stormtrooper Armor v2.0
--► Body Armor: designed to lessen injury from blaster bolts (+1D versus energy, deflects stun beam) and provides excellent protection against explosions and shrapnel, making it almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with high-speed kinetic damage (+2D versus physical, +1D versus melee attacks or slower ranged attacks, such as slings, spears, etc). The armor makes running difficult (Move -2, cannot move at All-Out speed) and the helmet greatly obstructs a soldier's vision, hindering their ability to aim a blaster (-1D modifier to all ranged skill rolls). The Backplate contains a power pack as well as a small supply of air.
--► Body Glove: provides insulation and cushioning while also regulating body temperature during periods of exertion (+1D stamina). The tight fitting glove acts as a compression sleeve, stemming bleeding in the event of serious injury. Though the trooper may be incapacitated, survival allows the trooper to receive medical treatment and return to service (+1D first aid or medical modifier to stabilize). The body glove also provides limited protection against radiation (+2 versus radiation).
--► Environment Filters: armor is fully sealed against chemical/biological attacks and will protect the wearer against vacuum for a limited time (back-mounted tank contains 20 minutes of emergency oxygen).
--► Helmet: automatic polarizing and anti-flash blinding lenses with holographic HUD interface. Voice-activated vocoder and auto-dampening auditory sensors.
----► Multi-Frequency Targeting and Acquisition System (MFTAS): enhanced combat vision (+2D modifier to vision based Perception rolls versus negative environmental modifiers such as smoke, darkness and fire). IFF transponder readout allows Stormtrooper to identify squadmates.
----► Integrated Comlink: HUD and dermal crosslinked activation. The comlink uses linked encoding sequences to rotate frequencies every few seconds.
----► Security Measure: each helmet has a designated user and an integrated security feature (found on the under-rim of the helmet) that must be deactivated when putting on or taking off. If the security feature is not disabled, the MFTAS and integrated comlink will be disabled ensuring it could not be used by enemies of the Empire or reduce its value on the black market.
--► Standard Stormtrooper Utility Belt: High-tension wire 25 meters, 2 magnetic grappling hooks, 4 spare blaster power packs, ion flare tube (3 ion flares), 1 week of energy rations, spare C1 military comlink, 3 water packs, 2 medpacs, code keyed thermal detonator, 2 stun grenades (optionally, 2 C-22 fragmentation grenades), wrist binders, glowrod, blaster/armor tool kit.

Quote:
Baradium-Core Code Key Thermal Detonator
Specially designed to ensure that only stormtroopers can utilize the explosive, ensuring dissidents can not use it. The security measure requires an arming code to be entered, each code is unique, known only to the soldier to whom the device is issued. The code panel buttons are typically unlabeled.

Imperial Code Key Thermal Detonator
Scale: Character
Skill: Grenade
Cost: 800
Availability: 3, X (military issue)
Range: 3-6/12/25
Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10
Damage: 6D/5D/3D/2D
Game Notes: The key code requires a Very Difficult demolitions skill check to circumvent. The detonator a timer that can be set up to 15 seconds. The code key can be specific to the trooper, a squad, or even a section of troops.

Below is the stripped down stat block. Note that skills reflect the application of modifiers.

Quote:
Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0: All stats are 2D except: Dexterity 3D, blaster 4D, blaster: rifle 5D, brawling parry 4D, dodge 4D, grenade 4D, melee combat 4D, survival 3D, willpower 4D, search 3D, Strength 3D, brawling 4D, stamina 4D, security 4D. Move: 8. Character Points: 3-5. Stormtrooper armor (+1D vs damage, +2D vs high-velocity physical), E-11 blaster rifle (5D), blaster pistol (4D), Stormtrooper utility belt, Imperial Code Key Thermal Detonator (6D), Squad Tactics: Due to their training, Stormtrooper squads do not need to make a command roll to combine actions in combat. Authority by Fear: The visage of white Stormtrooper armor represents the emotionless, faceless might of the New Order (+1D modifier to intimidation skill checks).

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious why they only have a Move of 8. Is the No-All-Out restriction part of the armor?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm curious why they only have a Move of 8. Is the No-All-Out restriction part of the armor?

Refer to "Stormtrooper Armor v2.0" section:

Quote:
The armor makes running difficult (Move -2, cannot move at All-Out speed)...

When I was researching this I thought back to the movies, you never see a Stormtrooper run. You see them jog or do similar to an airborne shuffle. We also never see Stormtroopers move very fast, the heroes always seem to be faster.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I could see that as part of a more general rule, where every -1D of Armor Dex penalty inflicts a Lost Move (thus, Stormie armor, with -1D Dex, would have 1 Lost Move and thus not be able to run at All-Out). Not sure how I feel about combining that with a reduced Move. I'd probably pick either/or: either -2 to Move or 1 Lost Move, not both...

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Gotcha. I could see that as part of a more general rule, where every -1D of Armor Dex penalty inflicts a Lost Move (thus, Stormie armor, with -1D Dex, would have 1 Lost Move and thus not be able to run at All-Out). Not sure how I feel about combining that with a reduced Move. I'd probably pick either/or: either -2 to Move or 1 Lost Move, not both...

Stormtroopers v2.0 do not suffer a -1D to all Dexterity-based skill checks. They suffer a -1D to all ranged attacks. This cited as a a loss of vision to the helmet design. The modifier should probably go towards Dodging as well, which would be consistent to what we see in the films and would give a good reason why they dodge so crappily. Problems becomes, how much detail do you want to crunch. If a Stormtrooper has dodge 4D, -1D for not seeing so good, Dodge 3D. If he moves or fires his weapon and dodges, 1D, or moves, fire his weapon and dodges, 1D. Not even worth listing as a skill.

To be honest, I don't think we really see Stormtroopers attempting to dodge, though we do see them actively move to cover. Almost thinking it would make sense to not give them dodge.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. And armor already penalizes their running skill, which would thus Limit their ability to go all out anyway..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Same here. And armor already penalizes their running skill, which would thus Limit their ability to go all out anyway..

Not sure I am following partner.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
When I was researching this I thought back to the movies, you never see a Stormtrooper run. You see them jog or do similar to an airborne shuffle. We also never see Stormtroopers move very fast, the heroes always seem to be faster.

I just found something, very very brief in Rogue One that shows stormtroopers running. It's just after the Rebels set off their explosives and Krennic, in a Surrounded by Idiots moment deploys the garrison. Juyn, Cassian and K2 suddenly stop walking to make way for a group of stormtroopers and shoretroopers trotting along as they turn the corner being followed by a mouse droid (I assume this is the airborne shuffle that Shooting was referring to). But they're not the ones I'm talking about.

In the very next camera angle change, we see a much larger group of stormtroopers and shoretroopers flat out running down the corridor. (For additional reference, it's just before Tonc tells the rest of the rebels still inside the shuttle "Troopers! Troopers on the left!") It's very brief, but it's there.

Shooting might be right; this is the only time I've ever seen stormtroopers run flat out.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

shootingwomprats wrote:

Stormtroopers v2.0 do not suffer a -1D to all Dexterity-based skill checks. They suffer a -1D to all ranged attacks.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the -1D penalty to vision should only kick in if the MFTAS is disabled, ala the security code option.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
IMO, the -1D penalty to vision should only kick in if the MFTAS is disabled, ala the security code option.

MFTAS (which I have always hated) only gives a +2D modifier to vision-based Perception rolls, but tied directly to overcoming negative environmental modifiers such as smoke or near darkness. It gives no further bonus.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to add: now I have 2 examples of stormtroopers running flat out. Just after Tonc calls "Troopers to the left!" we see, from the perspective of inside the cargo shuttle, several stormtroopers running across the landing pad. That weren't no airborne shuffle neither.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

MFTAS (which I have always hated) only gives a +2D modifier to vision-based Perception rolls, but tied directly to overcoming negative environmental modifiers such as smoke or near darkness. It gives no further bonus.

That's my point; if I'm reading this right, the MFTAS only gives an effective bonus of +1D because of the off-setting penalties. It would be less confusing to simply give the MFTAS a blanket +1D to Search that reverts to a -1D penalty to Search if the MFTAS is off-line.

I'd also add a +1D bonus to ranged weapons, but only to a weapon that is scomp-link interfaced with the helmet.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Please keep in mind that what the MFTAS system does has changed to reflect information collected since WEG created it. Before it provided target assistance vs. objects moving faster than 10. It now includes several types of scans that negate adverse environmental factors, such as smoke, rain, fog, starlit night, etc. This bonus only applies to the negative modifiers. So on a clear day with no issues, no bonus. A smoke covered battlefield, +2D, just enough to negate environmental effects.

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's my point; if I'm reading this right, the MFTAS only gives an effective bonus of +1D because of the off-setting penalties. It would be less confusing to simply give the MFTAS a blanket +1D to Search that reverts to a -1D penalty to Search if the MFTAS is off-line.

The -1D to ranged attacks does not include things such as dodge, search, etc. The mechanic is based on cited information, which in this case, makes no mention of diminished vision, dodge, etc. Though it does make sense the modifier include things such as all defense skills rolls, as well as things such athletics, search, climbing/jumping and so on, it does not. That would be inference not a citation.

So, -1D to ranged attacks, +2D offset modifier vs negative visual environmental conditions.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd also add a +1D bonus to ranged weapons, but only to a weapon that is scomp-link interfaced with the helmet.

I had thought about this, but again there is no citation for it. Some things I think should come standard with the helmet are:

--► HUD Navigation Interface: Chronometer, compass, map(s), GPS positioning, mission objective waypoints, local weather conditions (+2D survival). Ability to add notes and waypoints to virtual map.
--► HUD Situational Awareness Interface: IFF transponder readout paints squadmates and other allies as "blue" and threats as "red", additional notes and colors can be customized. Integrated range finder (reduces the difficulty for Long and Extreme range by one step), holographic targeting display (+1D blaster), ammo count.
--► HUD Datapad: standard datapad and data storage. Voice and visual recording (up to 8 hours).
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Not sure I am following partner.

When moving, you have to roll running (or dexterity if you don't have the skill), against the terrain. And depending on the type of terrain (and thus its base difficulty) the faster you move through it, means when you roll your running skill, you need a higher and higher difficulty level to make it, or you suffer a movement complication.

As per the R&E book, page 101-103..
Moving is an action, just like firing a blaster or dodging an attack. A character can move once per round. A running or walking character uses his running skill (or dexterity attribute). Movement works like other actions. You describe the terrain, and pick a diff level and diff # based on it. The player decides how fast he wants to run. Then makes her running (or dex) roll, and if successful the character moved with no problems. However if he rolled under the diff, he has a problem..
*when moving at cautious speed (Half speed), in moderate or lower 'grade' terrain, it counts as a free action and no movement roll is needed. If going through difficult or higher level terrain, he needs to roll, but the difficulty level is reduced one grade (so very diff becomes diff).
*At Crusing speed (normal speed), he counts moving through v/easy, easy and moderate terrain as an action, but it doesn't require a roll. However he must roll going through difficult or higher terrain.
* At high speed (double move), she must roll for all grades of terrain, but if the terrain is difficult or higher, the difficulty raises up by one category (diff becomes V.diff).
* At all out (four times move), V/easy, easy and moderate terrains, are increased in diff by 1 level, Difficult or higher terrains by 2 levels. NOTE while going all out, the character cannot do any other action, EVEN DODGE!.

Terrain difficulty grades.
* Very easy. 1-5. Flat, clear or even ground with no obstacles. Clear walkways, or if swimming, calm water.
* Easy. 6-10, flat but naturally uneven ground (fields, garden yards), that may have a few small obstacles such as bushes, low hanging brances etc. If swimming, there is a moderate current, or minor obstacles like a reef.
* Moderate. 11-15, Rough ground or any area with many obstacles (large holes, rocks, thickets etc), if swimming it has many obstacles or a small confined area.
* Difficult. 16-20, running through a densely packed area that is difficult to navigate, such as a panicked crowd or thick forest. Very rough ground with drop outs, darkened tunnels, or an area being pelted by falling debris.
* Very difficult, 21-30. Moving through any ver dangerous terrain, such as a mine field, down a narrow causeway with a fan going, a starship as it breaks apart, or along the outside of a repuslor vehicle as it is moving.
* Heroic. 31+, Heroic terrain is virtually impossible to pass through safely. Such as running through an avalanche, or running down a corridor with falling debris, smoke and exploding consoles...

So lets say those troopers want to chase the party through a forest (well a forest looking at the above would be between moderate and difficult for terrain), and are going double speed.. That right there sets their movement diff from 20 to 30.. ANd with a -1d from the armor to their running skill (if they have one) they ain't keeping up!

MrNexx wrote:

shootingwomprats wrote:

Stormtroopers v2.0 do not suffer a -1D to all Dexterity-based skill checks. They suffer a -1D to all ranged attacks.

Which is what i am trying to correct him on Mr Nexx. He doesn't need to say 'cant go all out, and -2 to their move rate, cause that's already taken into account with their -1d to their dex skill!

Sutehp wrote:
Something else to add: now I have 2 examples of stormtroopers running flat out. Just after Tonc calls "Troopers to the left!" we see, from the perspective of inside the cargo shuttle, several stormtroopers running across the landing pad. That weren't no airborne shuffle neither.

What of the troopers on the deathstar when han and chewie make their mad dash at them?

CRMcNeill wrote:

Unfortunately SW has no scomp linking BTB..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: