The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper Armor: walking coffins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stormtrooper Armor: walking coffins Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Stormtrooper Armor: walking coffins Reply with quote

I have a theory about Stormtrooper armor. Recalling the moment in ANH when Han blasts the archway of docking bay 94 and it explodes all over the troopers below. That was just one blaster bolt. That kind of destructive force applied to living tissue has the potential to get pretty messy. And as far as protection, Stormtrooper armor seems useless, but what if the whole point is to keep the gore of a blasted corpse contained for easy cleanup? They're not any safer, they're just wearing their body bags.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just like for modern armor - it isn't necessarily for stopping direct fire, but it can be for defeating environmental dangers, spalling, and shrapnel.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
It's probably just like for modern armor - it isn't necessarily for stopping direct fire, but it can be for defeating environmental dangers, spalling, and shrapnel.

Also more glancing injuries, like the blast to the arm Leia suffered in RotJ.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for reducing the severity of an injury... something that might kill you instead simply wounds you. Sure, you're down for a bit, but you're going to be ok with a few days of rest.

Let's play with numbers. I have a heavy blaster pistol, and am shooting at bog-standard stormtroopers tied to posts. Due to an evil magician, everyone will roll exactly average.

If they're unarmored, I do 18 damage a shot (5D, with 4 of the dice averaging 3.5 per die, and the exploding wild die averaging about 4), of which the unarmored will ignore 7.5. 10-11 damage per shot; they all Incapacitated. I shoot them again and they are dead or dying.

I then turn to the Stormtroopers wearing armor, who will ignore 11 damage, taking only 7... they are wounded. They fall prone and can't take any actions for the rest of the round, but they're alive. If I keep shooting at them, they don't become incapacitated, they become Wounded Twice... prone again, no more actions for another round, and a bigger penalty if they DO move, but, still alive.

Armor doesn't keep you from getting hurt unless you are very lucky. It makes sure you only get hurt when you should've died.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you, instead of shooting them with that heavy pistol are using a regular pistol (imo more common to have on pcs since they are more legal), that 3d soak vs 4d dam when armored, vs 2d soak against 4d dam, means instead of a wound (on ave) they only take a stun.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was purely a cinematic observation. The game's armor is far more effective.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And game troopers CAN be more effective than those we see on screen as well..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a classic fan theory, but it does explain the extremely competent Stormtroopers seen in the movie. And that wasn't a typo. http://thechive.com/2015/05/04/the-real-reason-that-stormtroopers-always-miss-25-photos/
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And game troopers CAN be more effective than those we see on screen as well..

Absolutely. A squad of Stormtroopers is no joke and has taken out many a skilled PC.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more so, if you don't use BASE book stormies all the time. Add in a squad or two of veterans, (2d higher blaster and dodge), maybe a storm commando team. Or even worse, toss in a Royal guardsman on Storm trooper rotation...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch "A New Hope" again, watch carefully as Vader is shown for the first time, boarding the Tantive IV. Notice something, a lot of the stormies that were shot down are now up, with some help, heading to the medic while the Rebel troops are very Dee-Ee-Dee Dead.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
It's a classic fan theory, but it does explain the extremely competent Stormtroopers seen in the movie. And that wasn't a typo. http://thechive.com/2015/05/04/the-real-reason-that-stormtroopers-always-miss-25-photos/

This is great. Only one I really take issue with is Image 23. The Ewoks didn't "take out" the Rebels. Luke convinced Han to surrender to them, perhaps because of some Force intuition that they could help the Rebel cause. That's really the only explanation I can think of as to why they wouldn't put some camouflage on Threepio - Luke sensed that his golden image would somehow be useful. The Ewoks thinking Threepio was a golden god is what lead to making peace with the tribe.

Regarding stormtroopers, I think the films support the premise of there being multiple calibers of stormtroopers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Ewoks thinking Threepio was a golden god is what lead to making peace with the tribe.
So what you are saying is the Galaxy owes its freedom to C-3PO. Laughing
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
The Ewoks thinking Threepio was a golden god is what lead to making peace with the tribe.

In a sexy lamp sort of way.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:

In a sexy lamp sort of way.

I always thought the Galaxy owed its freedom to Han Solo. Remember, if he never failed that sneak roll and broke that branch, the Rebels would never have met the Ewoks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: