The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DREADNAUGHT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> DREADNAUGHT!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: DREADNAUGHT! Reply with quote

I'm finishing my listen to Zahn's third book in his Thrawn triology, and I got curious about how the Dreadnaughts look. I'd seen some B&W drawings before in various materials, but I wanted to see a 3D interpretation.

Man! Did I find a fine looking interpretation of what the Dreadnaught looks like.

CLICK HERE

This should replace canon, imo!

How cool is that bow-on shot near the bottom!

From now on, THIS is what I see in my mind's eye when I think of this ship class.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadnaught Star Frigate? I thought the Dreadnaught was a cruiser. Razz

And while I love Fractalsponge's work, the "overbite" and "underjaw" of this Dreadnaught seem a bit too blocky and not curved enough for my taste.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Dreadnaught Star Frigate? I thought the Dreadnaught was a cruiser. Razz

Heck, I thought it was a dreadnaught! 8)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at it in 3D really reminds me of Battlestar Galactica from the Re-imagined series. (I've not watched very far into the original.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fractalsponge / Ansel Hsiao does amazing work, but he clearly does not consider himself bound by WEG's standards when naming his artwork.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
looking at it in 3D really reminds me of Battlestar Galactica from the Re-imagined series. (I've not watched very far into the original.)

Me too! I was actually thinking "Hey, that thing reminds me of the new Battlestar Galactica without the landing pods."

And the original series in only one season got about as weird as Buck Rogers did in two seasons. Those poor writers had NO idea where to take Battlestar Galactica after the first few episodes, or after the first season in Buck Rogers' case.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And the original series in only one season got about as weird as Buck Rogers did in two seasons. Those poor writers had NO idea where to take Battlestar Galactica after the first few episodes, or after the first season in Buck Rogers' case.

Boy, isn't that the truth. I kept wanting more Star Wars, and they kept giving more Star Trek.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Boy, isn't that the truth. I kept wanting more Star Wars, and they kept giving more Star Trek.

I think that was a deliberate action on the part of both writing teams. Buck Rogers in its first season was basically about Buck's fish out of water status and how his identity in the 25th century never being documented is an advantage in espionage operations for Earth Defense Directorate. ("Who the hell is Aaron Wist? Nobody knows what he looks like!") Then between seasons, rather than develop more politcal stories about Earth, its relationship to its neighbors and the coming conflict with the Draconian Empire, they deliberately decided to switch Buck Rogers to a "wagon train to the stars" deal like Star Trek by putting Buck and Wilma Deering (as well as a different actor-voiced Twiki) on the Searcher (now there's an inspired ship name! Rolling Eyes ) with a bunch of new characters to search for "other human colonies" established after Earth's nuclear war in the 20th Century. Which, of course, sounds a lot like the premise of Battlestar Galactica (human colonists must find Earth) but in reverse.

Yeah, this was in the late 70s and early 80s when television was still trying to figure out how to properly do sci-fi and didn't know that there's a difference between "classic sci-fi" (for lack of a better term, I'm referring to what non-sci-fi fans would think of when you mention "sci-fi" to them) and space opera (which as we all know is a very specific form/sub-genre of sci-fi). Thank the Force that we know better now, but admittedly, it took alot of trial and error to get here.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, this was in the late 70s and early 80s when television was still trying to figure out how to properly do sci-fi and didn't know that there's a difference between "classic sci-fi" (for lack of a better term, I'm referring to what non-sci-fi fans would think of when you mention "sci-fi" to them) and space opera (which as we all know is a very specific form/sub-genre of sci-fi).

Yet, there's still few great modern sci-fi TV shows. And, we've had no equivalent to the quality of Game of Thrones.

What's the best sci-fi on TV? Babylon 5, Firefly, re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Star Trek is good--the various series vary from excellent to meh.

What else? And, many of those are getting some age on them.

I need to give The Expanse another try. I tried it when it first aired, and it didn't capture me. Though, now I see that book series is up for the first Hugo to award Best Series, along side Bujold's Vorkosigian series and three others.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Battlestar Galactica on a Sony flatscreen one. Didn't much care for the picture quality. Probably need to switch brands.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Yet, there's still few great modern sci-fi TV shows. And, we've had no equivalent to the quality of Game of Thrones.

What's the best sci-fi on TV? Babylon 5, Firefly, re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Star Trek is good--the various series vary from excellent to meh.

What else? And, many of those are getting some age on them.

When Bab 5 was airing on TV, I couldn't make time for it as it was the exact same time slot as Star trek Deep Space 9 (Dueling Shows, indeed!) and as a longtime Trekker (as well as one of the original Niners!) I had no choice but to choose one over the other. And this was after knowing that Bruce Boxleitner, who had played the title character in Tron, one of my favorite movies of all time, was starring in Bab 5!

Years later, I eventually got Babylon 5 on DVD, watched it all season by season within 2 weeks and was greatly impressed by what I saw.

Yeah, so not only am I caught between both genre fandoms by liking Star Wars and Star Trek, I'm caught between both Dueling Show fandoms! I'm the one in the middle in both cases! Shocked

FFS, even the Bendu never had it this bad. Razz
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clipped the prow and shortened the hull amid ship. Sure it being rendered gives it more detail but I'm not seeing the wow factor.

If you look beyond network TV there has been good stuff (much better then GoT plodding plot and wholesale interesting character killoffs). Si-Fi channel had The Invisible Man, Stargate SG-1, and the best IMO Farscape. Of course after the stupid name change things went way downhill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I watched Battlestar Galactica on a Sony flatscreen one. Didn't much care for the picture quality. Probably need to switch brands.

Was that the New BSG or the original (from the 70s)?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Was that the New BSG or the original (from the 70s)?

Both. Just to make sure. I only brought it up since we seemed to be playing But I Digress, so I thought I'd get in on the action.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: