The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Light Carrier from SW Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Light Carrier from SW Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I remember the original Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century both launched fighters from launch tubes but the Buck Rogers launch tubes here pentagonal IIRC and I don't even remember the shape of the BG launch tubes.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that only BG was late 70s. Buck Rogers was 1980-1981. I don't think either show is what you were thinking of.

Knowing the budgets of the shows at the time, they probably used the exact same footage for both shows.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
I remember the original Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century both launched fighters from launch tubes but the Buck Rogers launch tubes here pentagonal IIRC and I don't even remember the shape of the BG launch tubes.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that only BG was late 70s. Buck Rogers was 1980-1981. I don't think either show is what you were thinking of.

Knowing the budgets of the shows at the time, they probably used the exact same footage for both shows.

They didn't. The space ships were drastically different.

Vipers launched out of a triangular launch tube and was dark interspersed with alternating red and white lights.

Buck Rogers ships launched out of oddly shaped launch tubes that were brightly lit with greens, purples, reds, yellows. And Earth didn't have their own warships. Only fighters and an impenetrable planetary shield.

They did reuse their own individual combat footage in nearly every episode.

Last edited by ForbinProject on Mon May 22, 2017 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

They did reuse their own individual special effect footage in nearly every episode.

I know the ships were different, but I could've sworn that they used f/x shots from one series in the other to save a buck (er...no pun intended). I might just be remembering how each show recycled the same shots within their own shows, though. (Oh, look. The Vipers are peeling off to the right again...)
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

They did reuse their own individual special effect footage in nearly every episode.

I know the ships were different, but I could've sworn that they used f/x shots from one series in the other to save a buck (er...no pun intended). I might just be remembering how each show recycled the same shots within their own shows, though. (Oh, look. The Vipers are peeling off to the right again...)

Sorry missed this while editing my previous post

Exactly both reused their own fighter combat scenes nearly every episode.

Buck had that scene shooting two Marauders and doing a victory roll.

BSG Original had the scene you mentioned and the reverse thrust with the cylons doing the where did he go double take then boom.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:
And now I'm envisioning a huge revolver that shoots TIEs.

There was an old sci-fi movie, I can't remember the name, but the good guys space ship launched fighters from a revolver cylinder.

I'm actually curious about seeing that movie now. Does anyone remember what it was called?

It's NOT Atragon. Although if my memory is correct the ships looked similar.

Japanese Sci-Fi then?

Something like that. I know some of the actors were Caucasian. It was in English. But I can't recall if the English was dubbed.

Was it UFO from Gerry Anderson? I don't remember if they had the revolving launcher but a few of his other things did, and UFO was live action with the model spaceship thing going on.

Some of the Godzilla and monster movies from Japan around that time had white actors in them and had similar things. I know that in Traveller (Arrival Vengeance The Final Odyssey) the Azhanti High Lightening class cruiser had a single launch tube that was feed by a complicated moving conveyor that would feed ships into the launch tube, but that's more like a machine gun that a revolver.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to bring the Off-Topic Contest to a close...
shootingwomprats wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
EDIT 2: Wait, does that say a skeleton crew of 1 person??? Am I reading that right?

You are right, this seems low. Though in the last episode of season 3, Commander Sato orders everyone to escape pods and was going to pilot the ship alone and ram the an interdictor. Two additional crew stayed behind to assist him. You are correct, Skeleton: 1/+10 seems more appropriate or 1/+15. One can infer that it requires are least 3+ to pilot the ship without a negative modifier. This does not mean that a typical crew is not 5+, as it takes into consideration not only pilots but ancillary crew such as engineers, sensor ops, etc. Crew number would include bay support and such. I guess I am open to suggestions.

I would argue that the Skeleton Crew number is the number required for long term operations, as in piloting a ship from one planet to another, or just in general keeping it up and running. For the purposes of a single crew member sitting at the helm flying the ship on a suicide mission, I'd waive the Skeleton Crew minimum citing special circumstances. Increasing the Difficulty of Piloting the ship would be appropriate under the circumstances, but this single crewman isn't trying to fly the ship, operate the sensors, monitor the engines, etc; he's just trying to steer the ship and ram a target.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, based on what I'm considering over here in this topic, I'm thinking of giving the same treatment to the Quasar Fire as part of the Bulk Cruiser discussion.

What I'm picturing for the base version of the Quasar Fire is a ship that is designed to carry large barges and/or non-hyperspace capable craft in the space between the bridge and the engines. As a bulk carrier it would be distinct from a bulk cruiser or bulk freighter in that it carries its cargo externally. Quasar Fires could even be the primary form of inter-system transport for things like system patrol craft

The Flurry variant (the Light Carrier) would give up this transport capacity by mounting a makeshift hangar bay on the front of the engine pod, as well as adding additional weaponry, and maybe enhanced sensors as well, since it would be serving as a command base for its fighter wing.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
Was it UFO from Gerry Anderson? I don't remember if they had the revolving launcher but a few of his other things did, and UFO was live action with the model spaceship thing going on.

Some of the Godzilla and monster movies from Japan around that time had white actors in them and had similar things. I know that in Traveller (Arrival Vengeance The Final Odyssey) the Azhanti High Lightening class cruiser had a single launch tube that was feed by a complicated moving conveyor that would feed ships into the launch tube, but that's more like a machine gun that a revolver.

No. I haven't found the name but I stumbled across a picture of the ship.

Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying 95 percent Godzilla Final wars or one of the other TOHO films from that era. But in respect to the original topic, if you want to split this off, I'll follow you there.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
I'm saying 95 percent Godzilla Final wars or one of the other TOHO films from that era. But in respect to the original topic, if you want to split this off, I'll follow you there.

My apologies. In my excitement over finding the picture of the ship and posting it here for people to see I wasn't clear in my response to you.

My "No." was in response to your question about Gerry Anderson's UFO. I've got all 26 episodes. S.H.A.D.O., the Skydiver submarine, the purple haired girls on the moonbase.

You are probably right about TOHO making the film. As to splitting this off I'm happy that I found the picture of the ship. It shows the revolver cylinder that launches fighters. So I'm willing to let the off topic drop.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was much easier to find info when you already had done the heavy lifting through finding a model of the ship Smile

The Gohten, from The War In Space (1977). (Wakusei Daisenso) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076902/

Better diagram here, that shows the fighters stacked: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ba/37/2e/ba372e3feb218f5dce4635c0c176b70b.jpg

The movie itself is something I should probably track down. For instance, there's a horned wookiee lookalike (!) guard, which apparently forces the romantic female lead into a less professional outfit: https://assets.mubi.com/images/film/65719/image-w1280.jpg?1445929995
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
It was much easier to find info when you already had done the heavy lifting through finding a model of the ship Smile

The Gohten, from The War In Space (1977). (Wakusei Daisenso) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076902/

Better diagram here, that shows the fighters stacked: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ba/37/2e/ba372e3feb218f5dce4635c0c176b70b.jpg

The movie itself is something I should probably track down. For instance, there's a horned wookiee lookalike (!) guard, which apparently forces the romantic female lead into a less professional outfit: https://assets.mubi.com/images/film/65719/image-w1280.jpg?1445929995

Thanks. I'll try to find that movie myself now. Maybe do a homebrew stats for it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no in-universe evidence of fighter launch tubes, and even among uniformity oriented types like Imperial TIEs, there would be dimensional issues; how would you launch a TIE Bomber down a launch tube sized for a TIE Fighter?

Based on existing SWU tech and on-screen evidence, a better fit would be a launch recovery tractor field fitted on a bay door, that both accelerates launching craft and decelerates ships as they come into land.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering about the Inquisitor Advanced Prototype TIEs. That folding wing thingy should make 'em much easier to stack. A fighter like that, perhaps with somewhat thicker wing struts to give some room for additional ordnance like ripple-firing missiles, could make someone a nasty surprise.

Coupling this idea with the bulk cruiser thread, you could make a Q-ship that could open up like a flower - spewing out TIEs like a dandelion would float its seeds.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I'm wondering about the Inquisitor Advanced Prototype TIEs. That folding wing thingy should make 'em much easier to stack. A fighter like that, perhaps with somewhat thicker wing struts to give some room for additional ordnance like ripple-firing missiles, could make someone a nasty surprise.

Coupling this idea with the bulk cruiser thread, you could make a Q-ship that could open up like a flower - spewing out TIEs like a dandelion would float its seeds.
The Imperial Q-ship Deadly Dandelion. Laughing It's a shame the Empire wouldn't allow a Hodin Captain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: