The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Light Carrier from SW Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Light Carrier from SW Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Bren wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Rebel/Alliance starfighters simply can't fit into those belts, and there isn't enough deck space available to fit the same number of rebel/alliance fighters on the flight deck.
So don't use those belts.

That's the point I'm making.
Apparently I didn't make my point clear. Let me be more clear.

"So don't use those belts" means modify the existing belts or else install new belts or some other stacking method that will work with Rebel ships. Looking at the screen shots you provided there is plenty of room to either side of the existing belts to accommodate the wider Rebel ships. So width isn't going to be a problem.

Quote:
The rebels can't use these extremely efficient belts.
But that does not imply that there is no other kind of belt or stacking method that they can use. Now if you think that the Rebels couldn't or wouldn't think of modifying the existing belts or installing new belts or creating an alternate racking or stacking method that will work for Rebel starfighters then to use your own words "we'll just have to agree to disagree."

My apologies Bren. I misunderstood your meaning.

Please bear with my train of thought

The problem I see the rebels having with modifying the existing belts is that Rebel fighters are too big by either length or width to take advantage of the conveyor function of the system.

I'm sure they could build a working conveyor belt system for their own fighters but it would require building the redesigned ship from scratch in a shipyard because each belt would need to be custom designed for each rebel fighter.

That leaves adapting the current design to their needs. Between the belts I could easily see fixed "levels" where rebel fighters could be stored/stacked for maintenance and launching. But the size of rebel fighters would still impact the number of fighters that could be kept on the flight deck. We'd need the dimensions of the flight deck to figure that out and, me no good with math. Numbers make head hurt.

Looking at the picture of the Quasar Fire-class Cruiser-Carrier there isn't room for extra storage underneath the flight deck so maybe there's space above to allow more fighters to be carried?

If not that's another limitation to how many larger rebel fighters can be carried.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
My apologies Bren. I misunderstood your meaning.
Thanks. I can see where the confusion occurred.

Quote:
The problem I see the rebels having with modifying the existing belts is that Rebel fighters are too big by either length or width to take advantage of the conveyor function of the system.
The wings of most Rebel fighters are what makes them wider than a TIE. If only the central body of the fighter needs to be supported then that part of the fighter would fit on a modified belt or rack system. You won't be able to convey fighters from another level, but then when I look at the carrier, there doesn't seem to be enough space above or below or to the side of the hanger bays to fit any more fighters anyway.

The lack of storage room outside the bays themselves is especially obvious in the Flurry blueprints from Truce at Bakura. It's pretty obvious in the diagrams posted earlier in this thread.

Bakura: https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/0a/Flurry_egvv.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081001132258

Rebels: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/4/44/Homecoming_Rebels_20.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20160218012840

Quote:
I'm sure they could build a working conveyor belt system for their own fighters but it would require building the redesigned ship from scratch in a shipyard because each belt would need to be custom designed for each rebel fighter.
Instead of custom belts I'm envisioning custom attachments for each type of fighter that connect to the belt or rack.

Quote:
We'd need the dimensions of the flight deck to figure that out and, me no good with math. Numbers make head hurt.
Dimensions would help. Very Happy

Quote:
Looking at the picture of the Quasar Fire-class Cruiser-Carrier there isn't room for extra storage underneath the flight deck so maybe there's space above to allow more fighters to be carried?
It doesn't look to me like there is room above either. Plus crew quarters, supplies, engineering, power cores, and stuff must go somewhere which means above or behind the starfighter bays.

Quote:
If not that's another limitation to how many larger rebel fighters can be carried.
If you look at the bays and the height of the Flurry its a problem for the TIEs as well. While there may be room on the outside wall of the two outermost bays, there is no storage room on the inside walls of those bays and no room on either of the 2 interior bays. As I noted, there isn't any room below and I don't think there is any room above. Basically what you can see in the bay is what you get.

For the bays with conveyor belts you showed, what does the outside of the ship look like? The bays with conveyers don't look like they belong to the same kind of ship as the Flurry/Quasar Cruiser-Carriers.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
For the bays with conveyor belts you showed, what does the outside of the ship look like? The bays with conveyers don't look like they belong to the same kind of ship as the Flurry/*I thought so! You’re the jerk who never got back to me about *item* Cruiser-Carriers.

Honestly I think on smaller Imperial vessels there isn't a conveyor system to another compartment. They just stack/store Tie's on each belt. On the Quasar I'd say there were two belts on each side of the flight deck which hold three Tie's. That would make for a squadron per flight deck and four flight decks

It's when you get up to the bigger cruisers and destroyers that there is enough room for the conveyor feature to bring fighters from a different repair/storage bay.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible that smaller Imperial ships use launch cradles as well, supporting a starfighter from below instead of above. Depending on the vertical space in a landing Bay, both could be used.

I like Bren's idea of a modular overhead rack that can accommodate multiple types of starfighters. Maybe something like an overhead rail and catwalk with access ladders that slide left or right to accommodate different starfighter widths.

It's noteworthy that what we see aboard the Finalizer in TFA is the result of 35 years of technical development from the Classic Era, and a lot can change in 35 years.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I'm envisioning a huge revolver that shoots TIEs.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's also possible that smaller Imperial ships use launch cradles as well, supporting a starfighter from below instead of above. Depending on the vertical space in a landing Bay, both could be used.

I like Bren's idea of a modular overhead rack that can accommodate multiple types of starfighters. Maybe something like an overhead rail and catwalk with access ladders that slide left or right to accommodate different starfighter widths.

It's noteworthy that what we see aboard the Finalizer in TFA is the result of 35 years of technical development from the Classic Era, and a lot can change in 35 years.

There is merit to overhead docking that magnetically seals to the top of the tie with a hatch that allows access to the fighter. Something like this. Once the Tie's launch the "tubes" retract into the ceiling.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:

There was an old sci-fi movie, I can't remember the name, but the good guys space ship launched fighters from a revolver cylinder.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:

There was an old sci-fi movie, I can't remember the name, but the good guys space ship launched fighters from a revolver cylinder.

I'm actually curious about seeing that movie now. Does anyone remember what it was called?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon 5 launches the Star Fury and Thunderbolt fighters from its revolving hull. The force of the spin launches them out into space, where they kick on their power plants.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:

I'm actually curious about seeing that movie now. Does anyone remember what it was called?

It's NOT Atragon. Although if my memory is correct the ships looked similar.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Babylon 5 launches the Star Fury and Thunderbolt fighters from its revolving hull. The force of the spin launches them out into space, where they kick on their power plants.

The movie I'm talking about I saw on TV in the late 70's on one of those tv programs that showed old movies.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

The movie I'm talking about I saw on TV in the late 70's on one of those tv programs that showed old movies.

Wow. Really old. You got me.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Japanese Sci-Fi then?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the original Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century both launched fighters from launch tubes but the Buck Rogers launch tubes here pentagonal IIRC and I don't even remember the shape of the BG launch tubes.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that only BG was late 70s. Buck Rogers was 1980-1981. I don't think either show is what you were thinking of.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Japanese Sci-Fi then?

Something like that. I know some of the actors were Caucasian. It was in English. But I can't recall if the English was dubbed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: