The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Non-Hyperspace FTL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Non-Hyperspace FTL Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Conceptually, I don't think there is a place in the SWU for Trek-type warp drives, if only because a ship traveling at warp speeds will only be capable of interacting with other, equally equipped ships. Ships in hyperspace travel far faster, taking weeks to cross the galaxy instead of decades,. IMO, warp drive ships would be an anomaly, and not widely accepted.

The only real use I could see for them in galactic society as we know it would be as a specialized drive for scouts, traveling at ridiculously slow speeds relative to other ships, but still at superluminal velocities, and able to view space around them, and thus be able to slow down for a closer look if they find something interesting.

Either that, or as pathfinders mapping new hyperspace routes, being able to scan the route for obstacles and such.

True, but bear in mind that my interest is also in First Contact situations... things non-members of galactic society would be using when they were encountered. So, even if they're not hugely useful to Han Solo, they still explain some of the society's needs, and their ability to have a small, multi-system, empire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The problem is that it is very difficult to fit into the existing SWU without seriously unbalancing things...

Perhaps the limiting factor, is one is having to TIME the use of the to when they open much like the wormhole in DS9..

Quote:
No, it throws it off in that it suddenly adds a completely new method of travel that bypasses major trade routes by providing an alternative. A GM would have to make some major decisions as to how widespread this transit network would be, and how it would affect the existing hyperspace network.

Then limit it by saying "there's only 3 or 4 of these, as the tech and know how to make the connective wormholes is so damn hard, its only been successfully DONE 3-4 times..
Or say that, the tech is so old, only a few places have been able to reactivate/open them to use.. But they are one way only for now..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Non-Hyperspace FTL Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Conceptually, I don't think there is a place in the SWU for Trek-type warp drives

I agree.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The only real use I could see for them in galactic society as we know it would be as a specialized drive for scouts, traveling at ridiculously slow speeds relative to other ships, but still at superluminal velocities, and able to view space around them, and thus be able to slow down for a closer look if they find something interesting.

Either that, or as pathfinders mapping new hyperspace routes, being able to scan the route for obstacles and such.

Here on Earth we can see far away stars and calculate their actual position (versus apparent position). My impression of scouting in Star Wars involved choosing stars to travel to then calculating new hyperspace routes to get to new star systems, going very slowly since the hazards are unknown. Once there then they use normal sensor work to scan the planets and record data, landing on some planets that seem valuable in some aspects to get a closer look and more detailed data.

MrNexx wrote:
Has any Star Wars material covered FTL that wasn't hyperspace based? Space fold, mass effect drives, etc.?

I keep thinking about the SWG encountering a primitive species and not understanding HOW they got there, because they don't travel through hyperspace like normal people.

Inspired by hyperspace being another dimension that also allows for FTL communication (holonet) and travel, I got the idea that the dimension of subspace (subspace radio) was also a medium for FTL travel for Proto-Celestials that pre-dated hyperspace travel. Not only was it slow FTL, but it also had long term detrimental effects by "polluting" realspace with space-time anomalies, but the effects were localized to the space region they came from.

My SWU also has a remote area of space where another method of FTL travel seems to have existed long ago because there was species which had a multi-system civilization with no known tech beyond ancient earth tech. The species is long gone and part of the mystery of a future campaign will involve finding the species and their mising homeworld.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Hyperspace FTL Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My impression of scouting in Star Wars involved choosing stars to travel to then calculating new hyperspace routes to get to new star systems, going very slowly since the hazards are unknown. Once there then they use normal sensor work to scan the planets and record data, landing on some planets that seem valuable in some aspects to get a closer look and more detailed data.

That reminds me of this.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Solatarye
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use wormholes that can be manufactured via the correct means, Traversing them takes time and if the calculations are not right you come out at a completely wrong location. (I use a grenade scatter roll for the direction from initial entry)

Thier are also a few rare permanent wormholes, some are stable some not and a few are only half stable.

To keep things balanced a "Worm HoleDrive" is needed and the speeds are exactly like Hyper drives or warp drives. So their is little difference between the technologies as far as advantages of speed, but none of the three can effectively interact with the others, yet a ship in real space can in theory detect all three as energy wakes and pull them out with gravity wells.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't see it, I'd add the Kathol Launch Gate. Still seems to use hyperspace in some form but its basically a cannon that launches a ship into hyperspace and then the ship eventually drops out. Also can apparently be blown up and foul up normal space for centuries, complete with hallucinations.

Huh, apparently the Kathol Rift itself is actually canon, it got mentioned in a Battlefront book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: