The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

There's one! Set for stun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> There's one! Set for stun!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: There's one! Set for stun! Reply with quote

The stun setting on a blaster is the equivalent of an ion weapon for a ship. Isn't the stun setting a bit powerful in the game?

I'm talking about 1E stun setting, but the 2E version is powerful, too.

Question: How does stun work?

We know that blasters operate by igniting tibanna gas to a plasma state, then firing the plasma bolt down the barrel magnetically. The weapon needs tibanna gas and an energy source in order to operate.

How does stun work?

Comment: I'm guessing that the stun setting somehow overtaxes the weapon's power pack, sending out an electrical charge that overpowers a beings nervous system.

Shouldn't this be a real burden on the powerpack? Shouldn't there be limited uses at stun--much more limited than the 25, 50 or 100 shots a character gets firing blaster bolts.

25, 50, or 100 shots? Man, it doesn' take a lot of tibanna gas to create blaster bolts, does it?

More Comment: We saw the stun setting being used in ANH. Since the stun beam was visible, we can see how it arced out in about a 45 degree angle from the troopers' blaster rifle, creating a cone shaped area of effect.

Should this effect the range of Stun? It would seem that the stun effect would dissipate fairly closely on a wide setting like that.

From what we saw in ANH, I'd say it should be limited to Short Range.

Is it an area of effect weapon?

But, maybe the shape of the cone can be changed to a more narrow cone, reducing the area of effect but increasting range? Therefore, when set for Medium Range, the area of effect can only be applied to one or two targets adjacent to the primary target. Where as, when set wide, as we saw in ANH, the one stun attack can be used for every target within Short Range in front of the attacker? And, if switched to long range, the stun beam is a straight line that can only hit one target?

Thoughts on all of this?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the house rules and game-master area, there's been several discussions about stun weapons being too powerful.. One of the more common HR's dome to aleviate this is to reduce it to ONLY being usable at short range...
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In the house rules and game-master area, there's been several discussions about stun weapons being too powerful.. One of the more common HR's dome to aleviate this is to reduce it to ONLY being usable at short range...

Oh nice, that's one I will begin using right away. Clean and simple -- though in The Clone Wars tv series, we do troopers fire stun blasts at targets of maybe moderate range. Maybe a penalty to accuracy beyond short range, or successively halved stun damage? I'm sure those suggestions were prob already made in the other threads...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the cone-shaped area of effect, I'd treat it similar to a shotgun blast. As garhkal suggested, limit it to Short range, but with some modification. Because of the cone-shaped effect, treat all shots as Point Blank, but reduce damage as range increases, which represents the spreading, dispersing effect. So, say for a Blaster Rifle, all shots are at Very Easy Difficulty, but Damage is 5D/4D/2D, and it can't hit targets at Long Range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
With regard to the cone-shaped area of effect, I'd treat it similar to a shotgun blast. As garhkal suggested, limit it to Short range, but with some modification. Because of the cone-shaped effect, treat all shots as Point Blank, but reduce damage as range increases, which represents the spreading, dispersing effect. So, say for a Blaster Rifle, all shots are at Very Easy Difficulty, but Damage is 5D/4D/2D, and it can't hit targets at Long Range.

That looks good. So, stun is more effective at close range, but can still have an effect further out.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to keep stun as written except make it a harder wound level to achieve the stun.

That way, it would make sense why stun isn't used that often (in all of SW lore, I've only seen or read it used in that one scene from ANH). So, if it's difficult to achieve (and Leia just got unlucky), that would make for a good reason why nobody ever uses it unless absolutely necessary.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to have a potential side effect. Like was said in the Heir to the empire nove; "Using stun on pregnant women can cause miscarriages" or "overuse can cause permanent nerve damage (so say if you get a KILL result, you cause nerve damage)..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
The other option is to keep stun as written except make it a harder wound level to achieve the stun.

That way, it would make sense why stun isn't used that often (in all of SW lore, I've only seen or read it used in that one scene from ANH). So, if it's difficult to achieve (and Leia just got unlucky), that would make for a good reason why nobody ever uses it unless absolutely necessary.

This is my preference. A roll of incapacitated knocks out thd target for, say, 1 round. Mortally wounded, 1D minutes. Killed, 1D hours... etc, etc...
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
...(in all of SW lore, I've only seen or read it used in that one scene from ANH). So, if it's difficult to achieve (and Leia just got unlucky), that would make for a good reason why nobody ever uses it unless absolutely necessary.

This clip from the Clone Wars is the only other time I recall having ever seen Stun being used outside of the one scene from ANH:

Clonetroopers in pursuit of Ahsoka Tano: https://youtu.be/vG1SqQ0od8I?t=47s
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
...(in all of SW lore, I've only seen or read it used in that one scene from ANH). So, if it's difficult to achieve (and Leia just got unlucky), that would make for a good reason why nobody ever uses it unless absolutely necessary.

This clip from the Clone Wars is the only other time I recall having ever seen Stun being used outside of the one scene from ANH:

Clonetroopers in pursuit of Ahsoka Tano: https://youtu.be/vG1SqQ0od8I?t=47s

Thanks for that. That was awesome.

Maybe I should watch that show. I haven't been that interested in it since it's a cartoon (yet, I read the comics--go figure).

And, it didn't look like the range o the stun was that far, but it diffidently went farther than Short Range.

I think it supports my idea of a cone that gets more narrow the farther is goes. Short range is a 45 degree cone, as shown in ANH. Medium range, it can hit the primary target and someone standing directly next to the primary target--two target max.

At long range, it can only hit one person.

Maybe it should lose a die in strength at each range category, too, making it less likely a stun will result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: